Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #21

That's what I'm worried about too... I'm about 53' with my new truck and trailer, and last year I was under 40 with a different combo. Luckily I have a great spotter of a wife for backing into tight spots. We'll just have to wait and see!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #22

I've not yet measured tongue to bumper, but NADA says our 314bhs is 31'. Mostly we camp at Michigan State parks and their reservation system gives "up to" lengths. When making a reservation, I will usually search spots up to 30'. Seems like anything over that really limits how many sites are truely availible. They also provide a picture or two for most of their modern campsites.
All that being said, I have a fishing trip planned for June with 6 sites reserved. I put myself and my brother inlaw on the two largest sites, the problem is that they are on completely oppsite corners of the 6 and we do the cooking for the group of 20 +/- men. The site directly behind me says it will hold a 25' but I plan on scouting the sites mid March to see if I could squeeze him on the site behind me for convienance.
What I have found is the DNR is pretty good about switching sites with in our group on arrival. Not sure if I didnt have more than 1 site I would be able to switch since its a popular and booked up CG

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #23

Much will depend on where your camping. I can only speak to the West. Many campgrounds are built around the vegetation. If it didn't matter then campgrounds would not put a max length on a site. The north rim of the GC only allows 30 and less...due to size of sites. Try to squeeze in a larger unit and it's at your own peril. Can't tell you how many times a rig will come in and it won't fit on the site and they complain. Happens often with class A. The rig may be 35 feet, but they forget to add their towing a 25' trailer ...not gonna fit in a 40 foot spot, and, large sites are in demand and limited...not fun to have to try a different campground during the busy season. If they were honest when making the reservation accommodations would be adequate. I've often thought about posting my "Rants of a workamper"...about some of the stupid things people do and say...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
snip... The north rim of the GC only allows 30 and less...due to size of sites. Try to squeeze in a larger unit and it's at your own peril. Can't tell you how many times a rig will come in and it won't fit on the site and they complain....snip... I've often thought about posting my "Rants of a workamper"...about some of the stupid things people do and say...
So... The size limit (ie your CG example of 30) is for
the length of TV + TT?

I'd like to stay off your, and anyone else's, "Rants of a workamper" list.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #25

Here's one of my favorite spots on the Rogue River for a 24 and under. If you lie to the owner you go by the dumpster. I'm no more than 30' from the water.I just call and say ( it's Tunces) and he'll say when do you want it! My 7th day is free and I have a stack of wood waiting for me.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #26

Another shot of this spot and the stack of wood. Tunce is waiting for me to catch dinner but I must admit I have better luck going down to the dock and buying fish for dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #27

[QUOTE=oldmanAZ;265513]So... The size limit (ie your CG example of 30) is for
the length of TV + TT?

I can only say what was typical at the campgrounds I have worked at. The site is the size of the rig itself, not the tow vehicle. Many times there is space to the side or wherever for the tow vehicle. Where it is important to let the campground know is, say you have a class A 35' long...if you are towing and do not want to disconnect then the overall length is important. We have had a Class A pulling a 25' cargo trailer plus a boat....if you don't tell us, were not going to have you in a 100 ft site for a 35 or 40' rig.

All the campground wants to do is give you the appropriate site for your size rig, and near the attractions you want to be. Want to be near the pool, let us know, want to be far away from the pool, let us know. We're not mind readers and if you lie, your only hurting yourself or your fellow campers.

Like I said, it's amazing what happens over the course of a season

Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
...snip... The site is the size of the rig itself, not the tow vehicle. Many times there is space to the side or wherever for the tow vehicle.
...snip...
Like I said, it's amazing what happens over the course of a season
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed the limit did not include the TV, but you know what they say about that...

As a camper, I've seen a few examples of some truly incredible (and not in a good way) campers. I'm sure you've seen LOTS of them.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #29

I just say "32 feet overall". Despite it being sold as Grayhawk 29MV.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #30

we just give the length of our camper and haven't had any problems with them adding length although most sites we look at are at least 45 ft deep and our camper is 39... dumb me when we bought it I thought a 338 rets was 33ft 8 inches total ... add my crew cab long bed dually and it gets pretty long
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 PM   #31

What about a 5th wheel? Let's say it's 30ft long you have a truck 20ft long. When hitched up overall length is roughly 46.5 ft long bumper to bumper. Now while at campsite your unhitched so now your 50ft long. So what have the fiver's been doing? Do you only book 50ft or greater or can you sneak into a 46.5ft site or maybe even a 45ft being you could hang the bumper over the cement stop at the end of pad. I've herd you can get 5er's in tighter spots then tt because of pivot points.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #32

Each unit brings with it it's own set of circumstances. As I said often a sight may have parking parallel to the rig, rather than in front. Also a 5r because of height, may have limitations as to where it can be parked. Tree's and other vegitation may limit access to some sites. Another reason to be honest in your rigs length is utilities. It's why you are asked if you need 30 or 50 amp service. It is assumed that a unit 34' and under will be 30 amp and over that 50 amp. When making reservation online if you under estimate the length and are not asked specifically what your needs are, you may be in for a surprise when you arrive at your site. Bottom line, the more accurate and complete your information is when making a reservation, the better you can be placed in the correct site.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Here's one of my favorite spots on the Rogue River for a 24 and under. If you lie to the owner you go by the dumpster. I'm no more than 30' from the water.I just call and say ( it's Tunces) and he'll say when do you want it! My 7th day is free and I have a stack of wood waiting for me.

Well what size is your trailer? On my mobile device I can't see details. Doesn't look like your over 24'. That spot does look nice and open to a larger trailers size.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #34

That site must include the TV.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 AM   #35

Oh I see, well it does look like you have a nice spot/deal there.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote