Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #21

We have 16" TowMasters on our 2014 Octane with well over 20,000 miles without any type of problem. The trailer scales around 10,800# with a typical load for travel. I have no intention of changing them until 30,000. We know many people with campers and don't know of any tire issues with any of them, all brands of trailers and tires. Forums tend to draw more negative than positive experiences. If I had read the GM Duramax forum before I purchased our 2015 GMC 3500HD Duramax, I would have had reservations on that purchase. Logically if the tires in question were so unsafe / unreliable there would be multiple lawsuits. Face it, in todays climate people sue for much less important things. Heck, if I sold trailer tires for a living, I'd be on every RV forum spreading the word to throw out the new tires that came with the RV and buy better one's from me. Yes, I know I just jinxed myself. LOL. Better run outside and make sure my spare is ready to go!
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
No matter what make of tires they put on RV's or Trucks on many forums they find a way to knock them down "because they are stock tires". And special if they have the mfg. China on them. Maybe 2% have failure problems, but many have no problems at all, like me. Maintain your tires and keep yourself on the speed limit. Tire manufactures are not talking about your wallet but more likely about theirs. Yes, there are a few who suggest to change them between 3 and 5 years.
Have run the China tires for 10 years on RV and utility trailers before replacing them. But it seems some like to listen to negativity instead of positive stories. There are trucking companies what have their fleet run on those tires............have they failures? Sure they do............and sometimes the fault lay by someone who is driving over 70 miles an hour.
So now I have Westlake ST Tires on my TT so will post you in another year how well they have performed. By the way my dealer said they are good for another 10 years. When picking up my unit they did run nice and cool the 205/75R/14C's. Now I have to load up the TT and will check the temps while being on the road.................
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #23

The only thing I can say is I have had a lot of tires blow on a number of different trailers and most of the time is was due to tread separation at 5 years I always change them if they look questionable. Unlike car tires used daily which with warming and cooling cycles keeps them in better condition most travel trailers and motorhomes set for long periods between. I never get 20000 miles on mine maybe 5000 but 5 years is the point I begin to worry
Old 03-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #24

Thanks for the feedback everyone. In 15yrs of towing various trailers I have never had a blowout which I attribute to luck and maintenance. Due to the nature of the areas I plan on going this year I have decided to upgrade to 8 ply ST tires. I would prefer to put on LT tires but that is too much money at this point.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #25

Maybe we have been lucky. Out of 8 rigs and multiple Chinese ST tires, the worst we have had happen is a piece of sidewall sling off. Fortunately then a BIL was following us and called warning us. This go around, we swapped to the maxxis and upped the load rating. We had the money to do so, so we did. Otherwise I'd still be running the Rainier tires. Rainiers are still fairly new and the verdict is still out, but so far they seem to be ok. Gotta remember, Maxxis were new at one time too.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #26

We put about 8k on a set of TowMax on our X23B over 2 years with no problems. I was anticipating problems and bought a TPMS. We sold the HTT and got the 5er also with TowMax. The difference was wheel diameter and weight. 2 of our TM's failed in a dramatic fashion on the same trip. At the first failure the road service tech warned me about another tire that he "didn't like the looks of". About 75 mi later the tire proved him right.
My point: look for a tire that looks "over inflated", the tread down the center bulges. I was chatting with a young guy at the storage lot about tires and commented that my second failure looked like "that tire". I saw him again a couple of weeks later and learned that tire failed on his last trip.
I'm sure that's not the only indication of failure and I may be 110% wrong but I think it's a clue.
The other thing I've learned is a TPMS is a good thing, everybody should have one.
After the 2 failures I replaced the ST tires with LT's from G'year.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
We are getting rid of ours before we hit the road in the next month. 2k on them, look perfect but I don't need the worry. Maxxis 8008's soon. Next rotation after that will be new 110-lb rims and Sailun G rated.
Ok update:
Priced out the Maxxis 8008 vs. new high pressure rated wheels and Sailun S637 G's and for $300 more than the Maxxis tires alone, I bought the new HP wheels and Sailuns. FedEx to me Wednesday mounted and balanced with steel bolt in HP valves.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #28

I have not heard of sailun tires. Thought maxxis was tops. What makes sailun better? Where did u get your wheel tire package? Thanks
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #29

Sailun S637 is a G rated 14 ply at 110psi. Trailer Tire and Wheel. Ask for Michael when you call to order. Better price than on-line price. 235/80R-16 size. I haven't been able to find a bad review yet, in fact quite the contrary. I used the search function and found many positive opinions of the Sailuns. It is said they are comparable to the GY G614 but half the price. My factory rims were only rated at 80psi, so to run the Sailuns or the GY etc. I needed 110psi rated wheels. So got them all now rather than use the Maxxis 8008 as a short term fix.
Buy once, cry once...
Old 03-13-2016, 04:08 AM   #30

Thanks again for the info. If we don't upgrade trailers this year I'm going to be swapping out the tires (and possibly wheels) on our current trailer.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #31

One thing I've only seen mentioned once in this discussion is SPEED!

Even the best, most expensive tire will fail if the speed rating is exceeded for long periods of time. Particularly if the tire is under inflated! IMHO, it's the #1 reason for tread separation.

I have people passing me all the time pulling utility trailers, boat trailers, pop ups, travel trailers, fifth wheels, and all classes of motor homes doing 70 - 85 mph. If your tires are rated for higher speeds, go for it. But if you're like most of us, your tires are rated for max. operating speed of 65 mph. Do your family a favor, and don't drive faster than the speed at which your tires are rated. In addition, most states I travel though have a max. speed for RV's that is the same as the max. truck speed. Why would you want to both break the law and endanger your family?

To quote Louis L'Amour, "Take your time; you'll get a more harmonious outcome!"
Old 03-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
One thing I've only seen mentioned once in this discussion is SPEED!

Even the best, most expensive tire will fail if the speed rating is exceeded for long periods of time. Particularly if the tire is under inflated! IMHO, it's the #1 reason for tread separation.

I have people passing me all the time pulling utility trailers, boat trailers, pop ups, travel trailers, fifth wheels, and all classes of motor homes doing 70 - 85 mph. If your tires are rated for higher speeds, go for it. But if you're like most of us, your tires are rated for max. operating speed of 65 mph. Do your family a favor, and don't drive faster than the speed at which your tires are rated. In addition, most states I travel though have a max. speed for RV's that is the same as the max. truck speed. Why would you want to both break the law and endanger your family?

To quote Louis L'Amour, "Take your time; you'll get a more harmonious outcome!"
I totally agree. I see no need whatsoever to go faster than 65mph when towing.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #33

65 is how I drive...
I like it!