Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
When travelling, do you book RV parks ahead of time; or wing it?

We are looking at a six week trip this summer. Frankly, we don't quite know where we are going yet, but likely it will be partly through the states and partly Canada. (west coast or border states in western Canada)

I am curious if people generally just go with the flow and find a rv park along the way when they travel, or if they book them in advance. I don't think we would stay anywhere more than a couple of nights at a time.

Proud Yukoner
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew Lariat
2016 Whitehawk 27 DSRL
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Most of the time I wing it, unless it's an extended stay destination.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
We found out this past August that State Parks in OR and WA book up very early in the summer season. Especially those along the coast. We wound up having to stay in a few commercial (rack 'em & stack 'em) CGs as a result. We also lucked out by going early am to some SPs where the online system showed they were booked, but found spots when someone didn't show and/or left early. My advice would be to plan your route early and make some reservations at the parks you want to stay at. IF you change your mind, you usually can cancel w/o penalty if you do it early enough. And, if you're torn about what to do, let the reservation stand JUST in case you make it. IF you cancel last moment you'll lose your fee anyway, and if you wind up making your way there you'll have to take what is available, IF anything is open. Sounds like you have a great run planned, hope it goes well!

And, welcome to the JOF, you should find it a wealth of information, and sometimes, amusement.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
I have never did this, but would love to. My vote would be to wing it, no stress of "I have to go 500 miles today or else". Never know if you will hit traffic, not feel like driving, site see along the way, etc.
2013 Jayco JayFlight 26RKS
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost FX4

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
We always have reservations wherever we go. Try to set up the trip for around 300-350 miles per day.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
We usually book ahead depending on the time of year or holiday weekends. It saves a lot of stress at the end of the day. We have arrived in areas where there is a local event or concert and all the camp grounds are full. We are heading west across Canada for 8 weeks and all the reservations are made. Some campgrounds have first come first serve for 30 amp services ( we avoided them opting for certainty). We were able to reserve sea side spots and with the use of Google satellite or street view we made choices as to where and which campground we wanted to stay at. Sure that creates a schedule so we plan for time, daily travel and sites. We don't feel rushed but we know we have a spot to land.
Married To The Navigator
2005 Red GMC Duramax 4X4 HD Crew Cab
2012 321RLTS
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
If you plan to come to Alberta I would say to book your stay. Campground book up fast and full. There are first come sites but they seem to be full all the time too. We have a web site too, so you can always check for no shows like DMRGMC said. We like to play it safe and always book ahead, but we always know where we are going.
2010 Jayflight 24RKS
2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Broken Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
I try to book ahead. I found that "booking" procedures vary widely. Some want prepayment of the full amount some partial .....sometimes someone can forget to close the deal...

I have found it most helpful to have my reservations and directions secure in a 3-ring binder for easy reference.
Tommyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
We always have reservations wherever we go. Try to set up the trip for around 300-350 miles per day.
This year it might be a good idea to book ahead on the west coast. We're finding with the California drought many campers are heading north. Tried to book in Jan. for April-May at a few of our favorite sites and they were already booked so you might think twice about winging it at some locations.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:06 AM   #10
We always book ahead, and plan on no more than 300 miles a day. That way we don't have to keep on going if a park turns out to be full. This was especially good when we had a limited time away from home and job, and didn't have to re-route because a desired park was full, which might have caused a change in visiting plans for points of interest on our 3,000 mile round trip.

2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote