Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
I was always warned to not let the tank get too low as the fuel cools the fuel pump so running on E risks burning the pump out prematurely. But I'm not fanatical about it so I usually fill up around 1/2 a tank so the wife doesn't remind me about how the fuel cools the fuel pump... something something... words words...

2013 Jayco Jay Flight Swift SLX 184BH
2012 Ram 1500
oobedoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
I usually start looking when I get down to a 1/4 of a tank of fuel.
We do frequent truck stops as they are typically easier to get in and out of and when using the truck lanes, those pumps are FAST !!!!
The truck stops are usually faster during the summer or holiday season with a lot of drivers on the road clogging up the auto lanes and blocking the Diesel pump while they take the kids to the bathroom.
Have thought about adding an Aux Tank for more capacity (our factory tank is 36 Gal), but hard to justify the expense as it is usually no big deal to stop and get fuel, use the bathroom, let the puppy dog Pee Pee and get something to drink every 250 to 300 miles.

Robert & Bale the "Traveling Dog"
2012 GMC 3500HD DRW
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #13
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I try to fill up at the Pilot/Flying J stations as they have room at the pumps for my rig and a dump station if I need it. I use my Flying J / GoodSam charge card and get a discount... I usually fill up at the 3/4 empty mark.. just depends on the road and where the next station is..
X2 Most Flying J have a parking area for rvs so that after filling up you can park and go inside for a potty stop and get something to drink. They can be a little higher in price for my diesel truck but the convenience is nice.
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
I've been in a number of small towns where I had to pull up to the pump and then reverse out the same way in because there wasn't enough room to pull thru. It was mentioned earlier that the outside pumps tend to be a little easier to fuel at.
I start looking around an eight of a tank when coming into a town and about a quarter of a tank outside of one unless I'm off the beaten path. Than it's time for the map or co-pilot gps which lets me know.

2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote