Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Where does your drinking water come from.
The onboard holding tank 35 32.41%
Bottled water 73 67.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Where do you get drinking water from?

Im curious (being a newb) which is more common.
Also anyone in TX have problem with the water at state parks.

I got a large filter and a secondary to go on the water line hook up with lead free hose. Should this be safe to drink from camp site hook ups?

Does anyone use like a Britta pitcher.

All input needed.

'15 Starcraft LAUNCH 19BHS Extreme

'12 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR tow pkg.
w air bags, Reese straitline & Tekonsha P3
FFJamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFJamison View Post
Im curious (being a newb) which is more common.
Also anyone in TX have problem with the water at state parks.

I got a large filter and a secondary to go on the water line hook up with lead free hose. Should this be safe to drink from camp site hook ups?

Does anyone use like a Britta pitcher.

All input needed.
We don't ever drink water from our tanks or water system. I just bring bottled water or a Britta for drinking water and use the tanks for washing/dishes.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Soooo...If you wash the dishes with it, what do you do to sanitize them after since rinsing the soap off would still leave any bacteria in the water on the dishes?

Not being a smartazz, legitimate question.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
We don't ever drink water from our tanks or water system. I just bring bottled water or a Britta for drinking water and use the tanks for washing/dishes.

x2 As do we.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

We use bottled water
I bleach/sanitize the water system every year, including all hoses...but I don't drink out of it...there is still standing water in between trips where bacteria can form so unless you sanitize it before every trip its never totally safe

we do wash dishes with it (the hot water)
brush teeth and even make coffee with it...
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Soooo...If you wash the dishes with it, what do you do to sanitize them after since rinsing the soap off would still leave any bacteria in the water on the dishes?

I would think most of that bacteria is killed when it is heated in the hot water tank with the rest when you use dish soap. I have to trust the water I get at a CG to an extent since I don't have a field test kit to prove it's harmful otherwise. I've seen lots of people wash dishes directly under the faucet at CG's but I have never heard of anyone getting sick from a plate or utensil washed like that.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

I've been drinking the water in Texas State Parks for a long time. So far, the only ill effects I've noticed are being 30 years older and having somewhat less hair on my head.

We also drink water from the on board fresh water storage tank with no ill effects. I do sanitize the water system at least annually.

Filters are fine to use, and must be maintained properly. The filter itself can be a source of contamination. A dirty, infrequently used filter can grow stuff inside the filter.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #8

We always stay in provincial parks. I will drink the water from the parks as they are government regulated (as I type this I just realized who I'm trusting my life with .... )
Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #9

I've always drank the water from both the onboard tanks and the city water connection. The water is pre-filtered with a particulate filter before it gets to the TT, and I have a Brita filter mounted on the kitchen sink spigot, which I replace a couple times a year.

Only effect on me is a little more money in my pocket from not spending it on that pricey bottled water. If I'm traveling and need water, I buy a couple of gallons of drinking water at Walmart for less than a dollar each.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #10

I don't think there is a pat answer to this. We use bottled water for drinking, making coffee, iced tea, etc. We use the city water hookup if available with a filter. We fill the tank with what ever the CG has if there is no water connection at the site.

We use bottled water for drinking because many years ago I got very sick drinking the CG water that we filled the tank with. For the small cost of bottled water, I don't have to worry about ruining another vacation in bed for 2 days. When I say bottled water, I mean by the gallon, which is really cheap.

Quote:

When you wash dishes, I presume you use hot water and soap?

What you would ingest from a clean plate is far different from what you would ingest in a glass of water.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #11

If you trust the source of your water ... then no worries, but also think about Legionnaires Disease in the US. Whenever I'd travel to emerging world countries ... I never got intestinal illnesses because I used my tried-and-true camping techniques of keeping my mouth closed when showering, drinking only hot beverages (no OJ, milk, ice, etc.), used sealed imported bottled water for brushing my teeth, and avoided prepared uncooked fruit/veggies UNLESS I trusted the source.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #12

We use gallon containers of bottled water for coffee and drinking and CG water for everything else. On dried plates or in the shower is a very different exposure risk than 32 to 64 oz ingested each day.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
We use gallon containers of bottled water for coffee and drinking and CG water for everything else. On dried plates or in the shower is a very different exposure risk than 32 to 64 oz ingested each day.
Exactly!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

The water coming out of the tap at Texas campgrounds is no different than the water that comes out of your tap at home... That being said. We use bottled water to drink and make or coffee. Other than that we use the tap for washing, showers, etc... I've been camping at Texas campgrounds for 30 years and have never had a problem.. We do however use the standard inline blue water filter sold at walmart or most camp stores and change it out once per year...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #15

We fill a 5 gallon water jug cooler with tap water from the house to take along for drinking and coffee making.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Wife is very sensitive to water change so bottled for drinking and tap for other. We use a refillable 3 gallon as its easy to handle and I don't have a ton of 1 gallon bottles taking space.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #17

I have to change my previous response. I don't always drink "campground" water. Whenever I'm wintering in Quartzsite AZ, I buy drinking water at one of those outdoor water vending units. Last year, I think it cost $1.00 for 5 gallons.

The deep-well water provided in the QZ long term camp area has too much salt/minerals in it for me to drink. OK for showers and dishes, but I gotta watch my blood pressure.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #18

There seems to be a concern about drinking water from a campground water supply and also about drinking water from an on-board fresh water storage tank.

I really don't understand - what is the worry?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #19

Lots of thoughts, thanks yall!
Thinking I may buy a 5gal water cooler and fill at home thats only 50lbs to loaded weight. Since I have a small child and know how my water at home is filtered.
Not a fan of the plastic taste of bottled water.

Those that mentioned hot water being safe got me to thinking so I got to trolling the bowls of the net strangely enough google knew how to finish my sentences on what I was looking for so they must be common questions.

to be biologically safe - water must be boiled for 1 minute,
boiling is 212F
Water heater max temp is 150F, most commonly 120-140F
coffee makers heat water to 190-205F as hotter will burn the coffee grounds

so the bacteria/cysts would still be present, how long can they live out of water on a dry plate?, that Im sure is specific to each one.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #20

I'm with RVhiker...

Do you really think that most state campgrounds are going to not be sure that the water is potable? Do you boil your water at home???? I think you are worrying about nothing... There would be so many lawsuits if people got sick from the campground water supply that the state would go broke..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote