Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

White Hawk 28DSBH

Well we finally decided on the White Hawk 28DSBH as a replacement for our totaled out x213. I wanted the smaller 23MBH but the wife couldn't get over the smaller bunks, even though our kids are only 1 and 4 years old. A dealer in Appleton gave us a great price quote on a 2014 that was on his lot, 31% below MSRP about $2k less then every other dealer was asking for them. When I told Rapids RV (where we bought our x213 from) they said they would match the price if we gave them a deposit to order one. They didn't have a new one on the lot. They said it should be here mid march. We can't wait!!

Any tips from White Hawk owners out there? I know this is a lot bigger unit to tow than our x213. I'm not too worried about the 7500 gross weight. My F150 Ecoboost is rated at 9200 lbs tow rating with the 3.31 rear end. It'll just take getting used to the extra 8 feet in length!
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Let us know how it tows. We ordered the 23mbh but were looking at that model as well
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Loveless View Post
snip...... I know this is a lot bigger unit to tow than our x213. I'm not too worried about the 7500 gross weight......snip
Good chance the 28DSBH will require a higher rated WDH then you presently have for the X213..., so make sure the dealer sizes one based on your potential "loaded" weights, not the TT's UVW or Ship Weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #4

The WDH we have is rated up to 1,000 lbs tongue weight and 10,000 trailer weight. I hope that'll still work!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
Let us know how it tows. We ordered the 23mbh but were looking at that model as well
I still wish we would have bought the much shorter 23MBH. It would tuck into smaller sites very nicely! That's what I liked so much about our x213. But.... the wife had her heart set on that 28DSBH once she walked through one.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Loveless View Post
The WDH we have is rated up to 1,000 lbs tongue weight and 10,000 trailer weight. I hope that'll still work!
Depends on your loading habits...., you would want a 13% to 15% loaded tongue weight (of loaded TT weight) for the 28DSBH. I would start with the 1,000lb rated WDH you have, then take your "loaded" TV/TT combo to a CAT scale and weigh it..... the CAT data will confirm everything you need to know.

CAT scale "how to": http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #7

There is something to be said for shorter TT's, but when we moved up last Spring with a WH30dsre we did it with eyes wide open. Total length now is almost 34' compared to the 29' we had. The extra length has consequences but also a whole lot of advantages. Wife and I sat down when we returned from our winter trip south last year and made a list of "wants" and
"don't want" before we hit the market looking for the new TT. Length wasn't on the list, but the things we wanted all required a longer unit. To this day, we haven't come across another model or floorplan [any manufactor] that gives us more of what we were looking for.

If the wife likes it, I would say you made the right decision. We head out in 3 weeks for our 2014 trip south. Each year seems to get a little longer. Plan this year is for 5 or 6 weeks. Who knows where this will lead.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

We just bought our 2014 in September. We wanted a true bunk house but couldnt tow it. Our kids are 10 and 7. We got to camp twice with it and it worked out ok with the kids. unfortunetely we have a lot of cosmetic issues with all the woodwork and such throughout the camper. It is all warentied but I cannot tell you how many flaws there are... but it is only cosmetic so far. I love the layout. moving up from a pop up this is huge! Best of luck. We have the Brick interior. If you have any specific questions you cant find answered we might be able to help you out!
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
We just bought our 2014 in September. We wanted a true bunk house but couldnt tow it. Our kids are 10 and 7. We got to camp twice with it and it worked out ok with the kids. unfortunetely we have a lot of cosmetic issues with all the woodwork and such throughout the camper. It is all warentied but I cannot tell you how many flaws there are... but it is only cosmetic so far. I love the layout. moving up from a pop up this is huge! Best of luck. We have the Brick interior. If you have any specific questions you cant find answered we might be able to help you out!
We are getting the Hazelnut color option. We did like the Brick though too, it was a hard choice.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to go over it very carefully before we tow it home from the dealer. Nothing is worse than fixing something yourself that cost $40 to $60 even when it would be free under warranty....but it would cost $100 in fuel to tow it both ways to the dealer so you do it yourself instead. I had that happen a couple of times with my JayFeather. But then again I can't expect these trailers are going to be perfect for the $15k to $20k we pay for them. If I could afford perfection, it would be a 25 ft Lance that cost $30k or a 25 ft Airstream that cost $45k to $75k.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #10

Caleb,

I'm sure you will love your 28DSBH. We just bought a 2014 33BHBS and squeezed in a trip in late September. I tow it with a truck that is rated less than yours and I can hardly tell it's back there. I'm going to upgrade my truck next year to the HD payload package just to be on the safe side. The 33BHBS is heavier than yours and a good 5 feet longer. There was just a thread I was reading with someone who has a 28DSBH and a F150 ecoboost who took there rig to the CAT scales. With the 7700 lb GVWR he had 200 lbs to spare with the trailer and truck loaded for a trip (including family), so from a truck standpoint I'm sure you are ok. I think it was under the tow vehicles section.

We love our Whitehawk and can't wait for spring. You might want to think about a ladder to get into the top bunk. Our kids had a hard time climbing up to the top bunk. The only issue is making sure you stow the ladder before you pull in your slide as it comes in right in front of the bunks.

Your 3.31 rear end might hurt you a little, but with the ecoboost you should have plenty of torque. I have the 4.6 V8 with the 3.73. The truck doesn't accelerate like a sports car and has to downshift a lot on hills, but thats what you get with a 7200lb trailer.

Just watch those tires in the mirrors when making tight turns. You have to swing wider than you think until you get used to the extra length.

I think I have 1200 lb bars on my Equilizer, but my trailer is heavier than yours too.

Congrats on the new trailer.

Tim

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

Here is the link to the post I was talking about

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ghlight=28dsbh

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info Tim. Very helpful!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #13

We went from a 25' camper to the 28dsbh, which is almost 32' including the tongue. As far as towing, it tows as well. As easy as, if not easier, than our previous 25' trailer. Where I notice the difference is going around corners (I have to swing much wider). And backing in to spaces (have to start turning much earlier). I am not sure if this is due to the length, the wide stance axles, or a combination of the two. But you do get used to it. Btw, I am towing with a Silverado CC with the 5.3L.

We got our 28dsbh in July of 2013 and have used it several times. So far we are pleased. It is our first Jayco and so far we are very happy. The only issue we had with ours so far are the doors under the dinette seats, I pulled the hinges right out. Not a big deal to me I just reattached using L brackets and we only access that storage space from under the seat cushions now. Which is not a big deal because we only store larger items under there.
pmfinnegan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmfinnegan2 View Post
We went from a 25' camper to the 28dsbh, which is almost 32' including the tongue. As far as towing, it tows as well. As easy as, if not easier, than our previous 25' trailer. Where I notice the difference is going around corners (I have to swing much wider). And backing in to spaces (have to start turning much earlier). I am not sure if this is due to the length, the wide stance axles, or a combination of the two. But you do get used to it. Btw, I am towing with a Silverado CC with the 5.3L.

We got our 28dsbh in July of 2013 and have used it several times. So far we are pleased. It is our first Jayco and so far we are very happy. The only issue we had with ours so far are the doors under the dinette seats, I pulled the hinges right out. Not a big deal to me I just reattached using L brackets and we only access that storage space from under the seat cushions now. Which is not a big deal because we only store larger items under there.
Good to hear you are enjoying it! I'm sure I'll have a learning curve with mine as well.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #15

X2,X3,&X4 on the wide turns. Almost learned this the hard way on my trip home [400 miles] from the dealer pickup. After an overnite I was turning in to a gas station to get coffee. Entrance was wide and the lot was empty, because the STATION WAS STILL CLOSED! Thought I went plenty wide for the R hand entry, but Kabam as I drug the R side tires across a deep culvert. Fortunately the wider stance of the White Hawk axles allowed the front axle to bridge most of the gap before the rear one dropped. My momentum was enough to pull thru the problem and no damage done. Had that been 6" wider or a concrete post of some side, I would have really trashed out a brand new TT. In the end, it has taught me a big lesson. These longer trailers need really really wide turns, especially right turns. I think this is a combination of the extra length, but it seems 2/3s or more of the extra length is in front of the axles making your tow more like an 18 wheeler. Note the warning on the back of the trailer on many of the big rigs "This vehicle makes wide turns". I'm putting a piece of tape with the same message on my dash. I always tried to avoid tight drive lanes in/out of gas stations etc and frequently parked in a neighboring big box store parking lot rather than entering that resturant lot. Since I also upgraded the TV to a Duramax, I will be very selective in the stations I enter and the location of the diesel pumps.

My White Hawk is pretty much ready for our trip south in Jan. Just needs final packing and a few pre trip checks [tire pressures, battery check, driving lites, and make sure all interior items are properly stowed.

Enjoy your new TT.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #16

Had ours last year and the space is perfect for my wife and two boys Even when grandma stays the night or they have friends out. We went out 12 times last year and we pull it with a Tahoe and it does just fine.