Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

White Hawk or Eagle HT?

After spending quite a bit of time at the dealership last week we finally have some floorplans narrowed down. We went in all over the board wanted to look at Eagle HT, Jay Flights, and White Hawks. Now we are deciding between the Eagle HT 29.5BHDS or the 29.5 BHOK or the White Hawk 24MBH. Two very different units obviously.

Part of me would like to go smaller one but I worry about the lack of storage in the 24MBH both indoor and outdoor. I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opnions any of these models.

Also, when looking at the 2017 29.5 BHDS the outdoor kitchen was SUPER high up. Like the sink was about the same level as my chin. The dealer thought that was really strange too-it wasn't an issue with the BHOK model or the 2016 model. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks!
Moon8211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

Well, those are two completely different options (travel trailer/5th wheel). I guess you should start by making sure you have enough truck to pull the 5er. Another thing to consider is where do you like to camp. If you're into KOA's, 1000 trails CG's (What I refer to as "City camping") then going big is no problem. If you're into more remote campgrounds with smaller pads/campsites, the White Hawk may be a good option for you. Good luck on your purchase!

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
Well, those are two completely different options (travel trailer/5th wheel). I guess you should start by making sure you have enough truck to pull the 5er. Another thing to consider is where do you like to camp. If you're into KOA's, 1000 trails CG's (What I refer to as "City camping") then going big is no problem. If you're into more remote campgrounds with smaller pads/campsites, the White Hawk may be a good option for you. Good luck on your purchase!

Thanks for your input-we definitely have enough truck for the 5th Wheel. We have options to choose from because we own a construction company and have everything from a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD diesel to a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually. Right now we camp at state parks a lot with our 30ft travel trailer but in the future plan to do a mix of private and public campgrounds but that is something to think about. I think my husband likes the idea of a 5th wheel because he thinks it will tow better.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #4

We started with a White Hawk TT and are now in an Eagle 5er. Loved the WH overall, but wanted a little more space than it could offer, especially in the bedroom. Towing experience is night and day, with the Eagle being a much better experience. Hitching up is also a lot quicker and easer with the 5er vs. fiddling with a WDH, sway control, etc. My biggest challenge has been backing as the 5er responds very differently from the TT.

Nukeneck makes a valid point about the size of the 5er making a difference, but he overall length of the 5ers mentioned vs. your current TT aren't that different, so likely not a problem for you.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon8211 View Post
Thanks for your input-we definitely have enough truck for the 5th Wheel. We have options to choose from because we own a construction company and have everything from a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD diesel to a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually. Right now we camp at state parks a lot with our 30ft travel trailer but in the future plan to do a mix of private and public campgrounds but that is something to think about. I think my husband likes the idea of a 5th wheel because he thinks it will tow better.
We have a 16 29.5 BHDS and are very happy with it. The outdoor kitchen can be high, especially on an unlevel site, but I'm 6'-2' and wife is 5'-10" so its not a huge problem. The kitchen has to be above the frame rail, so they are limited to how low it can go.

The difference between a 30' TT and a 35' fifth wheel are pretty minor. Biggest part is overhead clearance, but I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal.

I've only ever had a fifth wheel camper, other than a pop up, so never went through the weight distributing hitch and sway systems, but watching people hook them up makes me glad I have a fifth wheel. I back in, plug in the lights, hook up the emergency brake, pull the jacks and I'm gone.

I've watched travel trailers in front of me nearly get pushed off the road as a semi came by when my fifth wheel felt rock solid. The definitely pull better!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #6

If you were comparing the same floor plan in a 5th to a trailer the answer would be fifth wheel all the way. However the 24mbh would be a pretty easy tow for those trucks with the right setup. We want the 24mbh someday because we feel like having the couch at the front of the trailer is our preferred day time layout. Not too worried about night and jayco doesn't use a folding mattress in their Murphy like some brands. If they made a eagle 24mbh 5th I would say get that but based on your choices I would just buy the trailer you prefer. Oh and for us we do park in some sites where the 7' in length that the 24mbh saves that it makes a difference. The 26.5 HT could perhaps be your compromise between the two?
foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
We started with a White Hawk TT and are now in an Eagle 5er. Loved the WH overall, but wanted a little more space than it could offer, especially in the bedroom. Towing experience is night and day, with the Eagle being a much better experience. Hitching up is also a lot quicker and easer with the 5er vs. fiddling with a WDH, sway control, etc. My biggest challenge has been backing as the 5er responds very differently from the TT.

Nukeneck makes a valid point about the size of the 5er making a difference, but he overall length of the 5ers mentioned vs. your current TT aren't that different, so likely not a problem for you.
Yes-thanks for your input-time to hook up definitely makes a difference when you have a one year old and five year old running around too-anything we can do to make things easier is better-lol.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #8

I also have a 2016 eagle ht 29.5bhds and I will agree with Cdash that towing and hooking up are way easy. When my DW and I were looking at new campers we only looked at 5th wheels because we planned on traveling a lot with it and knowing how well they tow meant a lot to us. With a 5th wheel you can also turn 90 degrees with the right setup to get into tight spots you can't do that with a TT.

As far as it being bigger you will never regret having to much storage space. It is nice when everything for camping is in the camper so when you get home you unhook the truck and your done you don't have to empty the back of a truck or SUV out on top of everything else.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #9

I think you would find the 24 MBH too small after having a 30 foot trailer. But if you want something smaller, I agree you should look at a shorter fifth wheel. Plus you have the truck for it and really, Whitehawk models are meant for those of us who don't have the one ton truck!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
I think you would find the 24 MBH too small after having a 30 foot trailer. But if you want something smaller, I agree you should look at a shorter fifth wheel. Plus you have the truck for it and really, Whitehawk models are meant for those of us who don't have the one ton truck!
Yes you are probably right I think that is one of my concerns with the 24 MBH but every now again I think that we could scale back, not go so big, save the money, and try to grasp the whole minimalism concept. I really like the Murphy Bed option-that the bed can just go away where as with the 26BHS the bed is still there taking up the little space available. With the 24 MBH if it was a rainy day and we were stuck inside we just tuck the bed away and have floor space for our two kiddos to play and our dog too-a 70lb golden retriever. One of the reasons I like have a camper is that I can load it up with everything at the beginning of the season and then not have to worry about packing things except clothes and food each trip out. Everything needs its place. And with longer trips on the horizon it would mean more things to pack.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Our new 5th isn't too different from our old 5th. We started out as weekenders, then started week long trips, then now are doing 2 week trips (out west). Going west and being gone for 2 weeks, I wouldn't want a smaller trailer. We have room to pack everything we need and then some.

We also have room to spread out if we have a down day. Between the master bedroom, the big living room and the bunks, everyone can be apart. Sometimes I wish we could have it in a 28' package from a standpoint of site availability in National Parks, but we'd have to give up too much at that length.

If your kids are young, think about 3 or 4 years from now, especially if you intend to have the trailer then. Our old one had a bunk room with skinny bunks. It worked well for 8 years. In the 9th year, the kids were sleeping on the couch because the bunks were too small. In the 10th year we upgraded to the 29.5 BHDS and solved that issue. It will last us until the kids are gone.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

Due to the ultralite badge, storage in a White Hawk can be limited. With the Murphy Bed, there is no pass through storage in the front. The two front compartments are small.

Personally, I do not like 5ers cuz they take the majority of the room in the pickup bed.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote