Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In that case, I would simply dismount the battery from the trailer and carry it to the front of the truck and use it to jump the truck. But then I have a crappy old Interstate dual purpose that's on its way out. So if I killed it and needed to get a new one, that wouldn't break my heart.
Yeah I thought about that was well, worse case scenario would be just that, drag the battery to the truck and jump it (Did that one time without jumper cables, a friend held the spare battery posts to posts with the bad one).

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Looks like I'll have to change my process then.
...snip....
My biggest concern is forgetting to connect the trailer to the truck. But then, I could just make that my very last step during my final walk-around. But I guess I would discover my error pretty quick, like right about the first time I went to stop and the trailer brakes didn't engage!
Doesn't the brake controller indicate a good circuit? I get an E1 in Montblanc or unlit LED in the Taco when I press the brake to move the transmission out of Park. That's the we-don't-proceed moment!

Usually, we do a quick trailer lighting check (left/right/stop and running lights) too.

Since we pull the trailer only 4-5 times a year for 500 miles round trip, paranoia ("what did we forget THIS time?") runs high. Especially with the brakes, hitch and wheel bearings.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Doesn't the brake controller indicate a good circuit? I get an E1 in Montblanc or unlit LED in the Taco when I press the brake to move the transmission out of Park. That's the we-don't-proceed moment!

Usually, we do a quick trailer lighting check (left/right/stop and running lights) too.

Since we pull the trailer only 4-5 times a year for 500 miles round trip, paranoia ("what did we forget THIS time?") runs high. Especially with the brakes, hitch and wheel bearings.
My truck will tell me, but only if the trailer was connected, and then disconnected all within the same starting cycle. For example, when I put my trailer in storage, I will leave the truck running while I unhook, then I'll pull forward enough to get my WDH out. At that time, the truck will give me a trailer disconnect indicator. The trailer was connected, now it isn't, truck say "maybe me no like". If I turn the truck off and then restart, that message will go away.

If there is a bad connection or a short, I assume the indicator light will light up. But really, there's no reason for the truck to assume a trailer is connected unless I have connected the trailer 7-pin. Once it's been connected and then disconnected, the truck rightfully assumes you need to know about it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
On this point. I once connected the shore power when the TV was connected and running. Sent my P3 into all kinds of fits and I had to unplug it and do a reset on it.

I never made that mistake again.

Point is, don't turn your key on when the shore power is connected.
That is the main reason I never have both the plugged in at the same time. When I back up and hook up to leave the next day, I leave the camper plugged in to shore power and the pigtail draped over the rear side panel of the pickup so I will not forget to hook it up in the morning when I unhook shore power. Works for me.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote