Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1

Why campgrounds charge for extra people?

Why do campgrounds charge extra ($4 a piece) for more than two? That's an extra $8 a night for us! I could understand it if they were cleaning up after us or if we were using their linens but I don't understand when it's our own camper. Anyone know?
mcfadden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

They charge more to cover their cost. Water, electric, showers, swimming pools, activities, sports equipment, etc. The more people camping, the more it cost the campgrounds.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Team

The private CG`s here all charge extra, some here allow 2 persons and some 4 before the extra charges. As said they are a business and the more people in the site the more people using the facilities and the activities provided. The state parks here allow 6 persons per site with no extra fees.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

Pretty much $$

We purchased a resort membership campground many, many, years ago (*used*) mainly because it had a 'reciprocal' resort campground agreement ($2 a night back then) and now $10 a night. Most don't have extra fee's.... but some do. I'm surmising that some of the cg's that do so (membership/public/or not) draw campers in based on the low rate that they advertise to draw them in in the first place! When camping, always ask for total fee's (tax, person's, pets, etc) before making your decision if based on cost

Also, check out campgroundreviews.com to compare local campgrounds if you are fortunate to have many near you
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #5

that fee of addl people can also be hidden by a addl vehicle at site fee at some CGs.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
that fee of addl people can also be hidden by a addl vehicle at site fee at some CGs.
Have not run into that one yet, but some only allow one vehicle per site with other vehicles required to stay in overflow parking lot.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

I guess I'm pretty naive, BUT it's about the memories anyway, right? Our first trip is tomorrow and I'm so excited!
mcfadden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #8

Not naive, just thinking its unfair, and it is... but they own the property and you need somewhere to park your RV. The extras can really pile up quickly, we looked at a private CG locally that seemed pretty reasonable, but when you added all the extra fees for anybody visiting us it was out of line. I'm don't agree that my family should pay a "cover charge" to come visit me while I'm camping. Last year on our maiden voyage, I attempted to join my family at a state campground and the park wouldn't let me in without paying, although I already had a reservation, and my wife had just pulled in 10 minutes earlier... I told them where they could stick the charge and left. Got the issue resolved and came back the next day and enjoyed the weekend. Pleasantly surprised that none of the campgrounds we have reservations at this year have any additional charge for our new dog... happy about that.

Enjoy the first trip...
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #9

Going to Camp Hatteras in April and this specific CG charges extra: $3 per pet per night, 3$ a night for cable, $8 a night for a 3rd adult AND an extra $5.00 for online reservations!
I think they are generous and offer free wi-fi :O
Expensive CG but was told they are the best and that's what we are looking for. We didn't pick RVing to save money over hotels, but to bring our dogs with us and love the lifestyle. We could get a cheaper CG without all the extra charges but would it be the same? maybe they do it to give people the option to opt out and pay less for the same CG instead of bundling it all together and making it a steeper price for all.
I am not super happy to pay to extras but nobody forces us to stay there so their park, their rules. Once I agree to this, I have no rights to complain
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #10

Lake George RV park also charged more for a third person. This campground is spotless and full of reasons to go back. All the trails are paved! and they blow the leaves of the trails in the morning. They also deliver firewood to the sites... the list goes on.
The luxury doesn't come cheap but this place is a resort and it shows. We are going back in July
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #11

Most of the CGs I have been to cover 4 people and 2 vehicles with their fee. But this is all in Florida.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
Site Team

It's called free enterprise and business. We camp in many that have all kinds of fees. Early check-in, visitors, addl. vehicles, Pets, over 2 adults, wi-fi, heaters, ac's etc.

If we don't like it, we don't go there.

It is a good idea to read the rules before you make reservations to prelude any surprises.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #13

I guess it really is about $$, just like banks charging for every little thing, even though it may cost them next to nothing. Here in Virginia, the SPs all charge for dogs, an extra $5 per dog per night, yet what does the presence of the dog cost the park ? Assume that the owner cleans up after his dog, as required, and keeps it on a leash, there is no cost to the park that I can think of. It doesn' use any facilities, very little extra water, and no food or other necessities. The only thing would be a slight extra amount of trash (doggie mitts), but it sure doesn't cost $5 to furnish a couple of mitts each day per dog. We bring our own, but get charged anyway. Just my thoughts.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Site Team

I am not saying it's fair, just a fact of life. Us responsible pet owners have to pay someone else to clean up after the ones who don't.

You know who you are!!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #15

I remember last summer reading on a review site. We stayed there last spring for $28.00 a night when bringing the 5th wheel home from the dealer. Family goes camping. Daily rate is $52.00. By the time all charges were added up it was a total of $121.00 per night. The extra charges were for boat moorage, boat trailer storage, pet, extra people in site.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
Site Team

I would keep driving.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Us responsible pet owners have to pay someone else to clean up after the ones who don't.

You know who you are!!
Oh boy THAT ticks my wife and I off to no extent! We clean up after our pup.

On the extra fees, I look ahead at that and make my decision on where to go. Here in New York State, we almost exclusively use the state parks as the only extra fee is for the ReserveAmerica.com reservation fee of $9. 2 vehicles per site, pets allowed and we can use the 2nd car pass for a guest.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #18

In California State Parks, the fee for typical no hookup sites are $25-$35/night for 8 people 1 vehicle and 1 towed. Several SP CGs offer premium sites that have either hook-ups or special locations (i.e. ocean front/view sites) and those rates are generally $50-$65 night.

In comparison the typical private CG we use the published rate is $35/night (Full Hookup & 2 people, 1 vehicle, 1 trailer or RV). Extras = + $3 night for kids + $5 night adults + $5 night per dog. We are a family of 5 + 1 dog == in the private CG we generally save money even after adding the extras vs the state park sites with hook ups ($48 vs $50).

Would I rather an all inclusive rate, absolutly. But what about all the folks that travel as a couple and have no pets -- I think they would prefer the base rate + extras. It is a market driving economy -- if you don't like the rates being charged move on to a differnt CG.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Oh boy THAT ticks my wife and I off to no extent! We clean up after our pup.
Not sure why this ticks you both off. Is Norty1 incorrect when he says that there are responsible pet owners who clean up, and there are also those who do not ? I always clean up after our dachshund, but have observed a few who did not pick up after their dogs. We are not trying to start a fuss, but would sincerely like for you to explain your position on this matter. Thanks
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Site Team

More than 2 adults usually mean you have 2 families on one site and are trying to not pay for a second site

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote