Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Winter camping in a winterized unit

So I have winterized our JF Baja (aka "The Fun Kit") and had read that you can take it out in the winter and dry camp. My question is that if you still wanted to use the toilet, can you:
Flush with water if no freeze expected?
Flush with rv antifreeze if it is freezing? (not cheap)
Would diluting it work to extend it?
How much of it's antifreeze properties are lost per amount diluted?
It's probably just a weekend trip here and there -not long term.
Do you need an isolation valve for the toilet so you don't empty winterized lines while flushing?
Thanks
redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

First off, operating the flush valve will drain a small portion of the anti-freeze into the toilet.
Not really a problem.

What to clear the bowl with? As you mentioned, a mix of AF & Water won't freeze at 20F with all the other [stuff] in the black tank.

How will you clean the black tank after this excursion? You can't leave the stuff in there all winter, that will cause problems.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
When you want to use your unit in an area where it freezes. Use bottle water and potti Potti. Do not use the plumbing system at all.

A high cfm compressor can blow out the lines and also the plumbing system with air if you make adapters for the drains. That way you only have to RV anti-freeze sparingly in the tank system.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

I thought I would keep a several jugged gallons of diluted antifreeze in bathroom and pour in toilet as needed. Then dump at station as usual.
No need for a shower & I have a basin liner for kitchen sink. Plumbing system off.
I just need a warm place for one (dw not into steelhead fishing).
redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcedar View Post
I thought I would keep a several jugged gallons of diluted antifreeze in bathroom and pour in toilet as needed. Then dump at station as usual.
No need for a shower & I have a basin liner for kitchen sink. Plumbing system off.
I just need a warm place for one (dw not into steelhead fishing).
NO need to waste the money ($5 per gallon.)

If you are only there for a weekend (two-three days) you won't get any poopsicles. Well, I suppose it depends on where you are going.

You won't get any hard frozen solids unless you get a good solid 3 days at or around 25 degrees. Normally New England won't see those kinds of 24-hour temps at well below freezing until mid January.

If the day temps are up in the mid to high 30's you'll be fine. You are only going to crash down to the 20's for a few hours just before Dawn.

Then you all wake up, get the morning constitutions out of the way, and the room temperature flush water will raise the temp in the tank. Plus the heat from the unit will help - the floors aren't exactly R50, if you catch my drift...

Heck, if the unit has a "heated" basement you could even charge the unit with water for a short weekend blast. Just bring a small 12 volt air compressor with you, and blow the system out again just before you hit the road.

You can keep the hot water heater in bypass, and heat some water on the stove.

And finally, if a winter weekend trip is something you can see happening often, consider installing some valves on the outside shower lines, to prevent any water from charging the shower head.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote