Originally Posted by kopskamper
snip.....We plan on staying at a campground in Tennessee (hopefully it will be warmer).....snip
Even Tennessee can have frost and slippery road conditions, especially at higher elevations.
I departed Michigan for the west coast late February a few years ago, and I basically waited until the weather map reflected at least a two day "clear weather" pattern before making my escape. I left my TT winterized until I reached my first overnight campground.
In the event of ice or accumulating snow, I would look for a place to wait it out.., not worth the risk. Even with a two day clear weather forecast, little snow storms can pop up like this one did on my first day on the road...;
Once the snow starting accumulating and the highway became a little "greasy", I pulled off at the nearest restaurant (coffee break) for about an hour until things cleared up on the highway...;
My first day of travel I departed early AM and put on a whole lot of miles to put as much of the cold weather over my shoulder, so my first CG stop was at the Oklahoma/Missouri state line. Stayed a couple of days to rest from the long first day of travel, then took my time the remainder of the trip.
I think common sense prevails when towing in bad weather, just be safe and enjoy the trip.