Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

Cool Winter Trip delayed due to Winter

Geared up for a 6 week winter trip and planning to leave KY home on Monday. The big storm hit us with 1/4" of Ice and over 12" of snow along with wind and drifting. First chore was to power up the chainsaw to clear 6 trees that had fallen on our 150 yard [down hill] drive. Tv's were DOA due to ice on the dish and its high on a roof ridge so unable to clear it. Will get back to that later today if the sun comes out which is doubtful. Around 6 last nite the power went down for an hour or so. Powered up the H2000 and lit the wood stove just in time for it to come back on. Next task is to clear all the snow and drifts up to 3 feet from the driveway up to the road. First have to move 2 vehicles to get them out of harms way [ask me how I know] before bringing out the tractor w/ blade. This AM found 2 more trees blocking the drive so back out comes the chainsaw.

White Hawk is all white. Had the slides open for packing and now they have a foot of snow on top. Will carefully push the snow off the slides to relieve the weight and hopefully it will allow the sun to dry them. Door frozen shut so a little heat gun carefully applied to melt the lock and get it opened. Snow is over the 2nd step and the tongue is completely buried in a drift. At least I have tv in the TT since I was able to clear the ice on the dish out back.

Winter had been extremely mild here up to this point. This was a real kick in the teeth for the locals who aren't use to this kind of Snow. Coming from Indiana it's not my first rodeo but certainly this one was untimely. Hoping now to head out on Wed if we get enough sun / warm temp to melt off the drive. Sure glad to be home rather than 150 miles south somewhere between Nashville and Natchez. Have to remember to dig out all the stuff I staged under the TT waiting to be packed in the back of the truck that is now buried in the snow.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Bummer
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Hopefully you'll dig out, the weather will ease up, and you'll be on your way with just a memory of the January snow of 2016.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Unhappy

I feel your pain. We have had to cancel several trips at the last minute due to my mil falling and breaking a femur.
One day we were going off to Myrtle Beach for a week and leaving right after church. FIL and MIL were ahead of us in their car and headed home and they got in a car wreck (not their fault). Had to cancel that one also.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #5

I am just glad we do not have to contend with these issues down here. Just hurricanes.

But, I feel your pain. My TT is ready but the weather is getting in the way to pick it up in Indiana (Jayco factory).

Glad to see you are addressing the issues and taking precautions.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

I understand, we were supposed to leave this morning for Florida. I cleaned all the snow off the roof yesterday so it wouldn't fall onto the slide while we were loading.
Our snow wasn't all that bad, but I have to get on I 24 just south of here and go to Paducah, KY, about 45 miles away, then to Nashville and on down to Atlanta.
It's all ice in Paducah, and from Paducah to Nashville, and then south of Nashville I read a semi jack knifed this morning and was blocking southbound I 24.
Thought about taking I 55 down to Memphis and going that way but Memphis reports ice on roads there also.

Original plan was to leave today and stop at Valdosta GA and spend tonight and tomorrow night, then roll into Florida to my campsite Monday morning. I wanted to rest a day.
New plan is hopefully leaving in the morning. My camp reservation in Moore Haven, Florida starts Monday afternoon.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

We're scheduled to head south to Florida this coming Thursday. The weather window then is looking ok. That also depends upon whether everything is dug out, but that *should* be no problem by Thursday.

As you said, at least a delay at home is better than being stuck on an interstate in the middle of nowhere.

I trust that you'll dig out and be on your way soon. Safe travels.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #8

Sucks to hear about the delay. Wish there was a way to send those storms back up here to Alaska where they belong. I only have about an inch of snow on my yard where usually during this time of year there is 18 to 24 inches. I normally have to cut through the snow berms on the roadside out at the back of my lot to back in and pull my utility trailer out in order to take my sled (Arctic Cat Snow Machine) out to play. Currently there is no berm.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Geared up for a 6 week winter trip and planning to leave KY home on Monday. The big storm hit us with 1/4" of Ice and over 12" of snow along with wind and drifting.
That sucks. We're not that far north of you and didn't get a flake. Kind of an unusual storm track this time. Be safe when you do get out.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #10

Today was a filled with getting thing stuck and then unstuck only to get them stuck again. Friend who came over to help get my truck out bounced off a tree when he left going up my drive. My tractor I was using to clear the drive slipped off the gravel and is now about 25 feet down a hill. No way to pull it out with all the snow and ice. My 2500HD got pulled out and away from the tree it has slid into and is now stuck again in the middle of my front parking area. Dish go iced over and is still out so no tv yesterday or tonight. Cleared several trees yesterday and an equal # down today from the weight of the snow and ice. That mess will wait until Spring but as of tonight all the trees are cleared from the drive.

Warmer weather predicted early next week so maybe this will melt by next weekend. No way to pull the TT from out back when you can't even move a 4x4 in a flat parking lot. Good news is we're retired and we have no schedule and no reservations. We'll get somewhere when we get there eventually.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Today was a filled with getting thing stuck and then unstuck only to get them stuck again. Friend who came over to help get my truck out bounced off a tree when he left going up my drive. My tractor I was using to clear the drive slipped off the gravel and is now about 25 feet down a hill. No way to pull it out with all the snow and ice. My 2500HD got pulled out and away from the tree it has slid into and is now stuck again in the middle of my front parking area. Dish go iced over and is still out so no tv yesterday or tonight. Cleared several trees yesterday and an equal # down today from the weight of the snow and ice. That mess will wait until Spring but as of tonight all the trees are cleared from the drive.

Warmer weather predicted early next week so maybe this will melt by next weekend. No way to pull the TT from out back when you can't even move a 4x4 in a flat parking lot. Good news is we're retired and we have no schedule and no reservations. We'll get somewhere when we get there eventually.
I am so glad everyone on the forum convinced me to wait to pick up my TT from Middlebury, IN. Your story just reinforces their advice.

I still have ants in my pants!!!
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #12

Hope everything works out for you.That is one reason why we live in Az
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #13

Cleared over a foot of snow off the slides but still an inch of ice to melt. Sunny today and 35 so stuff is starting to melt. Tractor is stuck so can't clear the rest of the drive including the uphill part. Did get the Dish tv back on line this am with the help of mr Sun. Getting ready to watch the Broncos. Nothing else to do until this %(*^( stuff melts.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #14

We got 3 feet of snow... everything is buried. Camper isn't though, thank goodness for the carport we had installed this summer!!!

The in-laws live 5 minutes away and leave in 6 days for Florida. We are trailing behind them, we leave in 17 days to meet them down there. Hoping it will be melted enough for them to get out, it better be melted in 17 days!!!

2 years ago we had another snowy winter. We left for Florida on a Friday morning, it snowed almost a foot Thursday night. First 50 miles of the trip were in 4wd. Hoping its not a repeat this year! The stock tires on my Ram stink in comparison to the great tires my Tundra had...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #15

Main road finally saw a plow today so will be ok as soon as I can make it up my drive. Need a clear firm gravel drive before I make an attempt pulling 7000 lbs of TT up that hill. Tractor getting priority tomorrow then clearing the drive so the sun can do its magic. Hoping to hit the road by Thur.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Main road finally saw a plow today so will be ok as soon as I can make it up my drive. Need a clear firm gravel drive before I make an attempt pulling 7000 lbs of TT up that hill. Tractor getting priority tomorrow then clearing the drive so the sun can do its magic. Hoping to hit the road by Thur.
We had record snow last year. Last February my sailboat was so socked in by snow that we needed to use a Come-Along to slowly bring the boat out. I used the truck sideways as a dead man with the winch connected to the trailer ball. Took some time and effort, but it worked. Once out a friend let us leave the boat overnight in his business parking lot until we left for the regatta.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have too long a driveway to even consider that. Patience pays. It will melt.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #17

Winter travel accidents

Proof that traveling in snow and ice is not for weiners.

360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Proof that traveling in snow and ice is not for weiners.

I saw this thing around the Seattle area sometime last fall....

Note to self: don't be a weiner.....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #19

Tractor out and driveway cleared. Now just need the slush to melt and for things to dry up. Plan now is to hit the road on Thur. 60's here by the weekend. Hope to be long gone by then. Hope the folks on the east coast are getting back on there feet too.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #20
Site Team

I'm ready for some warmer weather and it's not that cold here.
Attached Thumbnails
flipflop.jpg  
Gator roll-up bed cover