Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Winterization question

Hi all,

This is our first winter with our new Jayco, a 2014 Greyhawk. We have done nothing to winterize yet and night time temps are starting to hit the mid-30's. At what point does it become critical to plumbing, etc? We are planning to take it out in two weeks and again at Thanksgiving, then it will be packed away until Spring. Should we do some winterizing now, and then again after our remaining trips? Time is super tight for us now, so if we can safely put it off we will...but obviously don't want to risk damage! Any suggestions for us newbies?

Thanks!
lovliefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

I should add that the water tanks are currently empty but haven't been blown out, and we have a tankless water heater.
lovliefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #3

I would dump the tanks, drain the fresh water, and blow the lines or add antifreeze it if it going to be exposed to below freezing temperatures. How long it takes to freeze is the unknown, and I wouldn't feel comfortable guessing.

We are also in new Greyhawk at a SP in OH now and night temperatures are in the mid 20's (snowed yesterday, just flurries). We have the tank-heaters on and have no problems. (We're on shore power. Tank heaters would run a battery down in a couple of hours.) The part of the system that probably needs extra protection is the holding tank discharge pipes down to the dump valves. The farther they are away from the tank, the less they are protected by the heater. You have several choices
in that area.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Site Team

What I have done when temps will be somewhat below freezing but I do not want to winterize yet is open the low point drains, drain the hot water heater tank (not an issue for you), and keep a small electric space heater set on low in the trailer. That has worked well for me.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovliefam View Post
I should add that the water tanks are currently empty but haven't been blown out, and we have a tankless water heater.
Draining the water tank is all that is required for it. Also drain your gray and black tanks if you haven't already. The tankless water will drain with the low point drain valve open. When you blow the lines and/or add antifreeze, you are evacuating your plumbing, don't forget the toilet.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #6

I have always used mine late in the year, when the temps get below freezing at night i turn the furnace on in the camper to about 45 degrees to keep it warm and drain all of the tanks. I have never had an issue doing this. However I have never been in a situation where it never got above freezing during the day.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #7

I stay at a seasonal site that's a few hours from our house but never fully winterize until the temps get and stay below 30 during the night and day. I do pull my low drains and leave all my faucets cracked and have never had any problems with freezing lines.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote