Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #1

Winterize Black Tank Rinser

Question is how does everyone winterize the black tank rinser? Thinking about air pressure followed by pouring antifreeze down port with hose and funnel. Talking about winter temps of -30.
spkwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #2

Good question! I'm thinking you got it.

Marty
grayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #3

All I ever do is use air. If your going to pour the antifreeze in I would follow-up with another shot of air to besure it goes all the way to the tank.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #4

I have been using just air to blow out the line and haven't had any issues. For the past couple of years, I have only used air to winterize the lines, and RV antifreeze for the drains. Haven't had any issues, but it also rarely gets to below zero here.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #5

Winterize Black Tank Rinser

Air is all you need... any residual moisture left in the line that doesn't evaporate prior to a freeze will have PLENTY of expansion room and will cause you no problem (but in all reality... they'll be no water left to worry about).

I've done this exact process for years here in Chicago... no problems.

Air it out... move on.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #6

Used a small air compressor to blow out all lines after first opening low point drains to drain the tank and lines. Use the pink stuff in the drains. Temps well below freezing [but rarely below 10 above] are typical. No problems over 6 years. Did smoke the outside shower so I just disconnected the hose at the connection since we never used it anyway. Also remember to drain the handheld in the shower.

The White Hawk has a built in syphon hose/valve under the kitchen island so it is easy to pump in the antifreeze so I may use it this year after draining and bypassing the water heater. Haven't made up my mind since the air blowing method has always worked for me.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Site Team

I've never done any type of winterizing procedure with the Quickie flush that I installed over 10 years ago. The last time I used it was Labor Day weekend. There were no problems.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

Yes, its about the expansion. I don't think you have to worry about things like holding tanks with a bit left in the bottom, etc. Unless the water is constricted
between walls its not going to break things.
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #9

I use a Camco hand pump and pump antifreeze through the black tank flush. I normally do this at the last campsite after dumping and flushing the tank. I winterize the plumbing first, then I leave the black tank valve open and pump antifreeze in until I see the pink antifreeze flow out through the transparent elbow. Then I close the valve and pour 1 gal of antifreeze into the black tank via the toilet, leaving a bit in the toilet to keep the flushing mechanism wet.
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote