Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Who winterizes your RV?
I do my own winterizing 610 87.14%
I get a dealer or RV service center to winterize 42 6.00%
I never winterize because I fulltime 7 1.00%
I get a friend or relative to help me because I`m cluless 4 0.57%
I never winterize because it never gets that cold here. 32 4.57%
I enjoy having frozen pipes, never think about it 5 0.71%
Voters: 700. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #11

I do it myself...it's not rocket science.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I do it myself...it's not rocket science.
True enough, its RV science! Looks like the majority of members Winterize themselves and save some bucks.

Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

My dealer wants 119.00 dollars to winterize, I do it myself for under 10.00
Used every weekend
CityFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #14

I recently winterized mine myself (first time). My questions is: I had a hard time getting the pump to pull a prime and suction the anti from the rear of the trailer to the faucets,toilet, etc. Is it normal for the pump to cycle on and off. It seems like it took a long time for me to get it all completed (or seemed that way). I disconnected my city water connection hose and put a short section of hose on the water inlet, then inserted the hose into the anti container and then turned on the pump, went inside and went to the farthest faucet away and turned it on and waited, finally anti through lines. i just hope I did everything correctly.
2004 Dodge Ram Diesel 4dr
sootsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
Site Team

Hey, sootsweeper, I`m assuming your water pump does not have the winterizing kit, which is a valve that cuts off the watertank/city inlet and another valve which is hooked up to a clear hose that goes into the bottle. This kit makes it easy as the pump does not have to draw very far, you can purchase and install them yourself. Here is a pic of my water pump before I did some other mods, notice the clear hose coming up with the valve on it. This goes in the anti bottle. You would turn on this valve and turn the other one off that goes to the tank when winterizing. Another question, did you bypass the water heater? If not, gallons of antifreeze can pour into it before much flows out the faucets.

Here`s what it looks like now after some silencing mods and the addition of an accumulator tank, but that`s another story. The winterizing kit is still there.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #16

Sometimes I have to winterize if we stay at home to late in the year. I drain everything and activate the hot water bypass. Pour two gallons in the tank and turn on the pump. When everything runs pink I am done and the traps are good too.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootsweeper View Post
I recently winterized mine myself (first time). My questions is: I had a hard time getting the pump to pull a prime and suction the anti from the rear of the trailer to the faucets,toilet, etc. Is it normal for the pump to cycle on and off. It seems like it took a long time for me to get it all completed (or seemed that way). I disconnected my city water connection hose and put a short section of hose on the water inlet, then inserted the hose into the anti container and then turned on the pump, went inside and went to the farthest faucet away and turned it on and waited, finally anti through lines. i just hope I did everything correctly.
I've had that problem on occasion. I solved it by inserting a funnel in the end of the hose. Then, slowly (so you don't get an air bubble in the line) pre-fill the hose with antifreeze, remove the funnel and put the hose in the antifreeze jug. You might get a small air bubble in the hose when inserting the hose into the jug but it's no big deal there. My winterization hose (the one that has some of the pink stuff in it) is very close to my pump (see photo below). It sounds like your trailer's is much further away. I don't know why your pump is cycling on/off.

The big blue tank is my accumulator tank.

I also winterize the water lines when plugged into shore power as the pump runs stronger (and has better suction) than when running on battery power alone.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #18
Site Team

Hey Frank, one nice thing about having the tank inside like yours, you never have to worry about it freezing when you are using the rig in cold weather. My previous TT had the tank inside, under the rear bunks. But it was a BEAR to get to the waterpump which was right next to it!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #19
Site Team

1st year with the manuals and nervous anticipation, it took me 2 hours to winterize...the last 2 years, 20 minutes, tops. Do it yourself and save over 100.00 bucks.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
1st year with the manuals and nervous antcipatiopn, it took me 2 hours to winterize...the last 2 years, 20 minutes, tops. Do it yourself and save over 100.00 bucks.
Yeah dg, those manuals will get ya every time.