Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Who winterizes your RV?
I do my own winterizing 743 87.51%
I get a dealer or RV service center to winterize 53 6.24%
I never winterize because I fulltime 10 1.18%
I get a friend or relative to help me because I`m cluless 4 0.47%
I never winterize because it never gets that cold here. 34 4.00%
I enjoy having frozen pipes, never think about it 5 0.59%
Voters: 849. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #81

Just did our new Jayco 28U today. It is a precaution before we tow it South by the end of this month. Tried the air method and was not 100% sure everything would be fine so went to tried and true RV antifreeze. Waterheater was drained, rinsed and put on bypass. It took less than 2 gallons to do the unit.

This Jayco was nicely set up for winterizing with the low point drains for the lines and freshwater tank plus the hose for the antifreeze being plumbed in with valves. No need to take any lines apart and add flex hose.

Within a month - reverse this job.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #82

Indie it myself today as well and it was easy.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #83

I also do it myself. I use the Compressed air method and since doing so haven't had any issues. Remember that many air compressors will leach oil into the compressed air (unless you have a painters air compressor) so you should filter the air. I ALWAYS use a blue Walmart water filter for many tasks including the black flush. At the end of the season, I connect the Air to that filter to blow out the lines, then toss the filter out.

You have to remember to drain all the low point drains. I usually remove the shower head(s) and pour RV antifreeze in all the drains. Also remember to remove any other water filters you may have before applying the air.

Some people do both air and antifreeze, but I think that is a waste. After blowing out the lines for an hour there isn't even any mist in the lines, let alone anything to freeze. I also leave all my faucets open, not sure why I do that but I do.

Oh, don't forget to blow out the black tank rinser thingie mabob.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #84

I'm in the middle of winterizing for the first time, and I've read I need to remove the water filter. I think I know where it is and what it looks like - near the pump and looks like a clear cylinder with mesh inside - but I don't know for sure. How do I remove this? Do I just remove the clear part, or the whole part that is inline with the tube? Also, if I take this out before I pump in the antifreeze, won't it just leak out there? I've read I need to put a tube in there, but I don't see a tube to replace that. Can you help this newbie? Here's a picture of what I think is the water filter - I removed it from the line, but don't know how to remove it from the pump: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3849.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	5561

I'm in a 23b hybrid.
RBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #85

I just did mine. It is one of the most depressing activities I perform.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBenson View Post
I'm in the middle of winterizing for the first time, and I've read I need to remove the water filter. I think I know where it is and what it looks like - near the pump and looks like a clear cylinder with mesh inside - but I don't know for sure. How do I remove this? Do I just remove the clear part, or the whole part that is inline with the tube? Also, if I take this out before I pump in the antifreeze, won't it just leak out there? I've read I need to put a tube in there, but I don't see a tube to replace that. Can you help this newbie? Here's a picture of what I think is the water filter - I removed it from the line, but don't know how to remove it from the pump: Attachment 5561

I'm in a 23b hybrid.
That is not a true water filter in the usual sense. It does not remove undesirable chemicals as a charcoal filter does. It only removes particulants protecting the pump. The cap simply unscrews.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #87

The dealer comes out and does my Pinnacle. I do my Eagle myself. Why the Pinnacle? Because a high end unit like that needs dealer care, in my mind. Plus I have them inspect the roof seals. My new Eagle is always with me and accessible to get the job done. The other costs me the same amount in fuel to get to as the dealer charges me to do the job.
rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #88

We live in Washington State, we never winterized our JayFlight because we use it in the winter. We now have a Greyhawk we just got. What should we do other than leave the heat on?
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #89

These Jayco's are so easy to winterize... Have only done it once, but just booked a winter seasonal in the white mountains of NH. Winterizing will become part of a normal routine of packing up to leave the camper each weekend.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
These Jayco's are so easy to winterize... Have only done it once, but just booked a winter seasonal in the white mountains of NH. Winterizing will become part of a normal routine of packing up to leave the camper each weekend.
On the Whitehawk, is the water heater bypass right behind it? As in getting under the rear bunks to remove the panel behind the water heater? I just picked mine up and I'm checking things out.
Thanks

Previous camper-2010 Starcraft Travel Star Sport 175RK
Previous TV-2008 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #91

Hey everyone I was wondering how to winterize the hot water tank after you by pass it? Do i just drain all the water and let it dry out for a while before winter or is there something more that I should do? Also are covers worth the price when storing in winter outside? Sorry for all the questions but if the trailer is plugged in should I still take the battery off in the winter and hook it up to a low charge?
Tbeuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeuler View Post
Hey everyone I was wondering how to winterize the hot water tank after you by pass it? Do i just drain all the water and let it dry out for a while before winter or is there something more that I should do? Also are covers worth the price when storing in winter outside? Sorry for all the questions but if the trailer is plugged in should I still take the battery off in the winter and hook it up to a low charge?
Drain the hot water heater tank, that`s all I do with that. I do not use a cover myself, some love them and some hate them.
If the trailer is plugged in no need to take off the battery to charge it, the converter will keep it charged. But I have no experience with extreme temps so not sure what brutal cold could do to the battery.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #93

I am a fan of stabilizers down...JMHO. I winterize my own. Its just to simple not to...
1) Drain water heater and holding tanks completely...also fresh water tank...if you use it.
2) Open your low point drains and blow the water lines out with compressed air. (use the little water connection thread-in nozzle sold at Wal-Mart or RV places)
3) Pour about 1 cup of RV anti-freeze down each drain (sinks, showers)...not the toilet.
Done! Oh and remove the battery and maintain charge or trickle charge.
Did I miss something?
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #94

Oh, I also forgot to mention something about leaving the RV plugged in all winter. Take a look at your converter and make sure it is capable of trickle charging when the battery is at full charge. Otherwise, you'll end up overcharging the battery which just causes the water inside to break down into hydrogen and oxygen and vent off. The hydrogen off-gassing can cause explosions if not dissapated and if it ignites. When the battery is fully charged, the extra juice that is being pumped into it by some converters that are not "smart" or charge sensing will go into seperating the water until the lead plates are exposed to air (provided it doesn't go boom first) ruining the battery. Leaving it plugged into a trickle charger is ideal.

Funny; one person voted in the poll that they do not winterize and enjoy frozen burst pipes....Ha. Not me.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #95

Ok, just got done winterizing the new 33BHBS. Went well except for dumping a few cups of antifreeze on the ground since I forgot to close the low point drains. Now......I forgot to blow out the city water connection before I started. Do I need to worry about this or can I just blow out the city water connection with air and let what water might be left in the system mix with the Anti-freeze? I did open all the valves with the low point drains open. I did notice some water still left in the system before the pink stuff started coming out.

Any advice would be appreciated. Worst case I need to go and buy 2 or 3 more gallons of anti-freeze and start all over :-(

I might post this as a separate post if I don't get replies here. Light is fading and I need to finish it off today.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #96

Wnterizing Central and Winterizing Poll -2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
Ok, just got done winterizing the new 33BHBS. Went well except for dumping a few cups of antifreeze on the ground since I forgot to close the low point drains. Now......I forgot to blow out the city water connection before I started. Do I need to worry about this or can I just blow out the city water connection with air and let what water might be left in the system mix with the Anti-freeze? I did open all the valves with the low point drains open. I did notice some water still left in the system before the pink stuff started coming out.

Any advice would be appreciated. Worst case I need to go and buy 2 or 3 more gallons of anti-freeze and start all over :-(

I might post this as a separate post if I don't get replies here. Light is fading and I need to finish it off today.
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you've pumped rv antifreeze through the pump your good. I don't even blow air through my system at all in the northeast. Strictly antifreeze. The only other thing I would do other than running it through the water pump, is hand pump some antifreeze into the black tank flush. And don't forget about your outside shower.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #97

Thanks jdorant.

I used 2.5 gallons of AF.

Drained the Hot water heater (pulled the plug and pressure relieve valve to empty).
Bypassed the HW heater.
Opened all the facets including the shower and the toilet with the low point drains open.
Disconnected the inside and outside shower hoses to make sure they were empty.
Hooked up the 1st gallon of AF and like I said dumped a little because I closed all the faucets, but forgot the low point drains.
Then went one by one to each of the fixtures starting with the cold @ Kitchen sink, Tub, bathroom sink, toilet and then OS shower.
Order of closest to the pump to farthest.
Then did the same for the Hot water.

The system is nice and pink.

I was going to blow some air through the BT flush. I made sure I ran enough AF to put a little in each GT and the BT.

BTW, I drained the fresh water tank, but do I need to worry about any small amount of water that might reamain? Mostly concerned about the drain valve.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #98
Site Team

Sounds to me like you are good to go, t2daniel.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
Thanks jdorant.

I used 2.5 gallons of AF.

Drained the Hot water heater (pulled the plug and pressure relieve valve to empty).
Bypassed the HW heater.
Opened all the facets including the shower and the toilet with the low point drains open.
Disconnected the inside and outside shower hoses to make sure they were empty.
Hooked up the 1st gallon of AF and like I said dumped a little because I closed all the faucets, but forgot the low point drains.
Then went one by one to each of the fixtures starting with the cold @ Kitchen sink, Tub, bathroom sink, toilet and then OS shower.
Order of closest to the pump to farthest.
Then did the same for the Hot water.

The system is nice and pink.

I was going to blow some air through the BT flush. I made sure I ran enough AF to put a little in each GT and the BT.

BTW, I drained the fresh water tank, but do I need to worry about any small amount of water that might reamain? Mostly concerned about the drain valve.

I think you are good to go. In regards to your BT and GT, I usually pour a little AF down the drains and toilet, and i'm sure that makes it down to the drain valves.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I think you are good to go. In regards to your BT and GT, I usually pour a little AF down the drains and toilet, and i'm sure that makes it down to the drain valves.
I was referring to the drain valve on the fresh water tank, not the GT or BT. I guess I could just leave it open, but I don't want dirt or creepy crawly's geting in the tank. Maybe I'll leave it open and then when I get to the storage facility, close it then. That way any water in the FWT should find it's way out the drain valve.

While getting access to the pump for winterizing it was interesting to find out the floor of the White Hawk is just a 1/4" of ply top and bottom with 1-1/2" of styrofoam in between. Can see it where all the tubes come through the floor from the FWT to the pump. Makes for a kind of SIP. Just reinforces my telling the kids not to jump up and down in the trailer or jump off the top bunk!! All to save weight, but it should be strong, after all they build houses with SIPs.

I think I'll stick a rag in the hole to keep any critters from gaining access to the interior through the hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Structrue of a White Hawk.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	10279

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH