Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Winterizing Jayco x213 TT

Well, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to winterize my TT...this trailer is already equipped with a siphon hose to draw from the bottle of RV antifreeze.

I pulled the plug on the hot water tank and drained it - loosely re-installed plug
Opened the drain on the fresh water tank and closed after draining
Opened the bypass for the hot water tank and closed the input and output valves
Closed the valve from the fresh water tank and opened siphone hose valve after putting siphon hose in the antifreeze
Turned on the pump to pressurize
Opened hot water on kitchen sink until antifreeze came out and repeated on cold tap, same thing to bathroom sink, tub, toilet and outside shower.
Pulled siphon hose out of rv solution and ran cold tap on kitchen sink for 2 seconds to suck antifreeze out of it and closed the siphon valve
Wiped down all sinks and toilet

I had aleady cleaned out the holding tanks after the last trip out

All I have left to do is wash, dry and cover for the winter
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

It is not hard to do. I am surprised at the number of people that pay someone to do it for them.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
It is not hard to do. I am surprised at the number of people that pay someone to do it for them.
I almost did, it would have cost me $80.00 plus tax not to mention pulling the trailer to the dealer and picking it back up again. It cost me about $10.00 for 2 gals of RV antifreeze, got her done within 1/2 hour and while I was at it, I cleaned and vacuumed everything. Everything was stowed away, battery and spare tire pulled. I was going to use compressed air.....but antfreeze was much easier
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #4

Yup-- Not hard at all-- RV antifreeze @ Tractor supply for $3.00 per gal, turn a few valves, open a few faucets, flush the john, pull the battery and done. Larry
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #5

Westerncanuck, not sure if you did this but don't forget to pull the screen out of the city water intake and push the check valve in to allow anti freeze into the line. There is a small amount of water left behind that check valve that can freeze up. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

what does everyone do with their batteries? trickle charge them over the winter? just leave them in the garage etc etc ?

Also....I know there is enough room for ice expansion in the larger fresh water tanks but does anyone put Rv anti freeze in the holding tanks?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewmaniacs View Post
what does everyone do with their batteries? trickle charge them over the winter? just leave them in the garage etc etc ?

Also....I know there is enough room for ice expansion in the larger fresh water tanks but does anyone put Rv anti freeze in the holding tanks?

I leave my battery in its box and plug in the TT every now and then but my TT is here by my house and it does not get real cold here.

As for the tanks, drain the fresh tank, no antifreeze. The holding tanks get about a quart in each, but should also be drained first. IMO the black tank should be flushed and cleaned before adding the anti and sitting the TT up for Winter.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:

We leave ours plugged in all the time, and after flushing out both the grey and black tanks we put about a quart of antifreeze in each.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-guy View Post
Westerncanuck, not sure if you did this but don't forget to pull the screen out of the city water intake and push the check valve in to allow anti freeze into the line. There is a small amount of water left behind that check valve that can freeze up. Ryan
Thanks for the heads up, I have never used it. I will check it
Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:

I didn't put any in mine..just put some in the peatraps
Old 10-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
If you have dumped your tanks and they are mostly empty there is no need to add antifreeze to the holding tanks. If "water" is in the 3 inch exit lines it can freeze and crack the lines, but if the tanks are empty there is nothing to freeze. The same is true of the drain line on the fresh water tank. Just make sure that all of your tanks are empty.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:

Typically when you fill the p traps with enough anti freeze, it will pour over and into the bottom of the grey tank to keep any residual water from freezing. I also put about a liter down the toilet as well for the black tank.

For the battery if it gets cold enough and it is not charged you can damage cells in it. For us in Alberta where temps can get hit -40 Celsius at night you can freeze a battery. I take mine off and put it in the garage on a peice of plywood to keep it from freezing up. The garage with no heat typically does not get colder than -20 Celsius at night. You probably won't have that kind of problem out on the west coast. I've had Christmas dinner at my aunts house in Victoria in her sun porch with nothing mor than a small electric heater running. That was like being on the beach in Mexico compared to Alberta. Ryan.
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:

I pulled the battery and put it on a trickle charger
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

Winterize Jayco x213 - Clarification for total newby

Hi, Read some forum posts, watched some videos and (gasp) even read the owners manual, but I am a bit unclear on the winterization process in for the x213. Specifically this step from the OP:

1) Opened the bypass for the hot water tank and closed the input and output valves

..So the issues is I dont have a bypass (I'm sure I do, but I just dont see it). So where is my bypass, and how do I close it so I dont fill my hot water tank with gallons of antifreeze?

Attached images are my best guesses, I assume that once I find the hot water bypass, the image in attached 'Ready to Winterize.jpg' is where I'd want the valves before I put the siphon hose in antifreeze (and this seems right as I was able to feel suction on the pipe in this configuration). And just for comparisons sake I added the 'Normal' configuration.

Appreciate some additional guidance from the community since the documentation is light and there is no bypass that is labelled. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerncanuck View Post
Well, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to winterize my TT...this trailer is already equipped with a siphon hose to draw from the bottle of RV antifreeze.

I pulled the plug on the hot water tank and drained it - loosely re-installed plug
Opened the drain on the fresh water tank and closed after draining
Opened the bypass for the hot water tank and closed the input and output valves
Closed the valve from the fresh water tank and opened siphone hose valve after putting siphon hose in the antifreeze
Turned on the pump to pressurize
Opened hot water on kitchen sink until antifreeze came out and repeated on cold tap, same thing to bathroom sink, tub, toilet and outside shower.
Pulled siphon hose out of rv solution and ran cold tap on kitchen sink for 2 seconds to suck antifreeze out of it and closed the siphon valve
Wiped down all sinks and toilet

I had aleady cleaned out the holding tanks after the last trip out

All I have left to do is wash, dry and cover for the winter
Attached Thumbnails
Ready to Winterize.jpg   Normal Operation.jpg  
colowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by colowolf View Post

..So the issues is I dont have a bypass (I'm sure I do, but I just dont see it). So where is my bypass, and how do I close it so I dont fill my hot water tank with gallons of antifreeze?
it is on the back of the hot water heater...the pics you are showing is your pump
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by colowolf View Post
snip.....So the issues is I dont have a bypass (I'm sure I do, but I just dont see it). So where is my bypass, and how do I close it so I dont fill my hot water tank with gallons of antifreeze?......snip
Here is what a typical HWH bypass system looks like:

Typical valve positions for summer/winter:

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #17

Thanks! You guys saved me $90 bucks and some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Here is what a typical HWH bypass system looks like:

Typical valve positions for summer/winter:

Bob
This is exactly what I needed, and yes, now I agree with the OP, this is super easy!

I'm going to post complete instructions once I've got them formatted because I made a doc for myself to pull out next spring (because I'm really good at forgetting things ). Cheers and thanks again!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #18

Dealer add here.. Winterizing special $125.00 this for 10 min work and $10.00 worth of antifreeze.. in the spring he has a dewinterizing special $125.00 dang for that kind of money I could do it as a mobile special. and do it in your driveway..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Dealer add here.. Winterizing special $125.00 this for 10 min work and $10.00 worth of antifreeze.. in the spring he has a dewinterizing special $125.00 dang for that kind of money I could do it as a mobile special. and do it in your driveway..
True, definitely an opportunity for some money to be made there. I'd only charge $120 to come to someones house!

If weather holds (approaching 90 degrees in Denver today), we might squeeze in another trip, (then spend the 10 minutes it takes to re-winterize)!
Old 05-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #20

Printable Notes for Winterizing X213

Here are the notes I made and printed up and put in my X213 for Winterizing/dewinterizing. Thanks for all the feedback, hope its helpful for other folks too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winterization - Water Pump Valves Compressed.pdf (176.9 KB, 65 views)