Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Wood roofs & floors ??

Just received Jayco's 2014 Eagle brochure. Inside back page illustrates Jayco's construction diagram. Seems Jayco is still using wood in their roof trusses and in their floor joists. OLD TECHNOLOGY!!!
Jayco's prices certainly aren't any cheaper than anyone else's and yet other RV Mfgr's are using aluminum.
Plus the roof insulation and floor is standard residential fiberglass insulation.
Don't let anyone kid you the R-14 foil works, as it is only good under certain construction methods which RV's DO NOT meet.
Just thought you should know.
(18 days till Spring!!)
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

Numerous manufacturers still use wood it just depends on the price point of the unit, There are still hundreds of units on the road with all wood frames that have held up fine. If they are properly maintained there should not be any issues.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Numerous manufacturers still use wood it just depends on the price point of the unit, There are still hundreds of units on the road with all wood frames that have held up fine. If they are properly maintained there should not be any issues.
==============================
Granted! Of course the word here is maintenance.
My point though was Jayco's Eagle line is their top of the line Travel Trailer and they still are using old technology. For instance: Keystone's Cougar High Country (their top of the line) has all aluminum welded walls, floors and ceiling. Plus they use foam insulation in the walls, floors and ceilings. Makes for a very well insulated- sound proof construction. And the pricing is the same....

Hopefully Jayco will start upgrading- the technology has been available for a few years now.
Happy trails,
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
The wood arched roof truss is stronger then stamped or modular metal based roof systems. Jayco touts the roof structure in online demo's showing how their pre-stressed truss and oversized nail plates with vertical supports are stronger then standard roofs. Also, wood in the floors and roofs is common on upper brands because of the thermal attributes of wood versus aluminum tubing. I had a unit with tubular aluminum floor joists bonded to foam and luan, worse flex in a floor I've ever owned.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
snip....... Seems Jayco is still using wood in their roof trusses and in their floor joists. OLD TECHNOLOGY!!! Jayco's prices certainly aren't any cheaper than anyone else's and yet other RV Mfgr's are using aluminum.....snip
IMO the use of wood in a TT's frame structure wouldn't be considered "old technology", what's important is how any given material is utilized and/or applied. The use of aluminum in framing may have it's advantages in some applications, but IMO in the RV industry it's to reduce weight which doesn't mean it's the best choice over other materials.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #6

They are probably using wood to boost their "sustainable" earth friendly green ROHS compliant ratings.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #7

Wood does not transfer heat and cold as much as Aluminum...just a thought

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

Eagle is not the top of the line for their Fifth Wheels. They have the HT(half-ton towable), Eagle Touring, Eagle, Premier and then Pinnacle. The fact that they have been in this business for quite some time speaks well for the quality of their product, in my opinion. And, I have owned two Jaycos, so far with no roof or floor quality problems.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

[QUOTE=billb800si;179177]Just received Jayco's 2014 Eagle brochure. Inside back page illustrates Jayco's construction diagram. Seems Jayco is still using wood in their roof trusses and in their floor joists. OLD TECHNOLOGY!!!
Jayco's prices certainly aren't any cheaper than anyone else's and yet other RV Mfgr's are using aluminum.
Plus the roof insulation and floor is standard residential fiberglass insulation.
Don't let anyone kid you the R-14 foil works, as it is only good under certain construction methods which RV's DO NOT meet.
Just thought you should know.

Here are the specs on said unit...

Below is information on the Cougar High Country Construction

1. Roof:
a) Nylon reinforced molded composite arched roof trusses 16” on center.
b) R-14 battan insulation
c) 3/8” plywood roof decking
d) Dicor rubber roof system
2. Sidewalls
a) 1 ½” tubular aluminum framed- double welded
b) 1/8” luan interior wall board
c) 1 ½” R-9 Block foam insulation
d) 1/8” exterior luan sub straight
e) 1/8” Premium Medallion high gloss fiberglass
3. Front Wall
A) 1 ½” Tubular aluminum framed welded wall
B) R-14 Battan insulation
C) Gel coat fiberglass Front Cap
4. Rear wall & Side of Slide Walls
a) 1 ½” tubular framed welded wall
b) R-14 battan insulation
c) 1/8” luan sub straight
d) 1/8” High Gloss Medallion high gloos fiberglass
5. Floor:
a) 1 ½” tubular aluminum framed- double welded
b) 1/8” luan interior wall board
c) 1 ½” R-9 Block foam insulation
d) 1/8” exterior luan sub straight
e) 1/8” Premium Medallion high gloss fiberglass
6. Slide out floors:
a) R-15 astro-foil sheet insulated
7. Zero degree tested & Rated Underbelly:
a) ¼” Corruagted plastic covered underbelly
b) Insulated with R-15 Astro Foil Sheet
8. Slide System:
a) Norco Accuslide
9. Exterior Electric Jacks & Remote
a) Lippert
10. Suspension System:
a) Mor Ryde CRE 3000

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
The wood arched roof truss is stronger then stamped or modular metal based roof systems. Jayco touts the roof structure in online demo's showing how their pre-stressed truss and oversized nail plates with vertical supports are stronger then standard roofs. Also, wood in the floors and roofs is common on upper brands because of the thermal attributes of wood versus aluminum tubing. I had a unit with tubular aluminum floor joists bonded to foam and luan, worse flex in a floor I've ever owned.
==========================
Jayco's video compares wood joists to competitors WOOD joists that has smaller jointer plates NOT to steel or aluminum. If you don't think aluminum is strong I suggest to stop flying in commercial aircraft.
I had a unit with aluminum floor joists and foam insulation and it didn't flex at all.
Aluminum isn't doing to rot....
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
Eagle is not the top of the line for their Fifth Wheels. They have the HT(half-ton towable), Eagle Touring, Eagle, Premier and then Pinnacle. The fact that they have been in this business for quite some time speaks well for the quality of their product, in my opinion. And, I have owned two Jaycos, so far with no roof or floor quality problems.
=======================

The only real problem I had with Jayco was delamination in the wall on our 322FKS.....
Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Bill I don't mind posting responses but please don't respond "on the attack" or modify my comment. Please go have a coffee or whatever vice you have to calm you. Yes, I know the roof in the video is wood - but it demonstrates the strength a wooden roof possesses when constructed with good techniques. There are several posts about floor flex on RV.net associated with aluminum/foam/luan laminated floors, feel free to search. Yes, unbelievable as it seems, I've flown in an aircraft and I even understand a thing or two about them. I sincerely hope you aren't comparing the superstructure of a commercial aircraft to a mass assembled recreational vehicle.

Good day to you, sir.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Bill I don't mind posting responses but please don't respond "on the attack" or modify my comment. Please go have a coffee or whatever vice you have to calm you. Yes, I know the roof in the video is wood - but it demonstrates the strength a wooden roof possesses when constructed with good techniques. There are several posts about floor flex on RV.net associated with aluminum/foam/luan laminated floors, feel free to search. Yes, unbelievable as it seems, I've flown in an aircraft and I even understand a thing or two about them. I sincerely hope you aren't comparing the superstructure of a commercial aircraft to a mass assembled recreational vehicle.
Good day to you, sir.
=============================

My intentions were not to go on the "attack" but to respond to a statement you made leaving the impression that Jayco's wood trusses were the strongest out there. As Jayco's video plainly shows they were comparing their wood trusses to an un-named manufacture'rs wood trusses not to aluminum or steel.
just wanted the RV public to make a clear distinction.

And hopefully you'll have a good day also.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
==========================
Jayco's video compares wood joists to competitors WOOD joists that has smaller jointer plates NOT to steel or aluminum. If you don't think aluminum is strong I suggest to stop flying in commercial aircraft.
I had a unit with aluminum floor joists and foam insulation and it didn't flex at all.
Aluminum isn't doing to rot....
You don't think this was an attack? You may want to word your responses a little softer in the future. Maybe the cold weather we have in MI is getting to us.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
You don't think this was an attack? You may want to word your responses a little softer in the future. Maybe the cold weather we have in MI is getting to us.
========================

Here's what was said,

Quote:
"The wood arched roof truss is stronger then stamped or modular metal based roof systems. Jayco touts the roof structure in online demo's showing how their pre-stressed truss and oversized nail plates with vertical supports are stronger then standard roofs. Also, wood in the floors and roofs is common on upper brands because of the thermal attributes of wood versus aluminum tubing. I had a unit with tubular aluminum floor joists bonded to foam and luan, worse flex in a floor I've ever owned. "...........................................
===============================

Now does that or does that not leave you with the impression that wood trusses are stronger than metal? All I wanted to do was clarify the senders statement that Jayco was comparing wood trusses to un-name competitors wood trusses not to metal. Wood trusses are not stronger than metal trusses....
Okay?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Site Team

OK its time to move on with this discussion.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #17

I agree
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #18

There are many construction methods used in RVs, for example Excel makes a great, very durable fulltime RV, they still use wood framing in the walls and such.

One thing to think about, wood framing as opposed to aluminum is the wood framing will not transfer cold and heat like aluminum does and the aluminum framing will in some cased have condensation inside the wall, the wood will not.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #19

My "old technology" Jayco now has more miles on it than my Keystone did when the wall fell off going down the highway... so I will stick with my Jayco..

they only used sheet metal screws to attach the wall to the floor on my Keystone..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
snip..... Excel makes a great, very durable fulltime RV, they still use wood framing in the walls and such....snip
I like how Excel addresses the aluminum/wood discussion....,

http://www.excelrvs.com/smart-shopper/wood-vs-aluminum

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote