Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

2007 Jay Flight 28RLS

Hello everyone,

We are the very excited owners of a "new to us" 2007 Jay Flight. I thought I'd jump in and say Howdy, and ask a few questions.

At four or five years old (only 1 1/2 summers used), where should I direct my focus with regard to maintenance and upkeep?

Need recommendations for a good RV book.

What equipment will need to be replaced/required for our first outing?

Looking for feedback on the purchase price to set my wife's mind at ease that we did not over pay (hopefully). $10,500 - Condition is very good to excellent.

Here are a few interior pictures (Cell Phone - admittedly, not great quality)...
Attached Thumbnails
imagejpeg954.jpg   imagejpeg956.jpg   imagejpeg955_2.jpg   imagejpeg9510.jpg   imagejpeg958.jpg  

The Sloan Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome, Sloan Ranger!

I would start by checking out the tires. There are date codes on the sidewalls that tell when the tire was made, ie 1607 means sixteenth week of 2007. If original your tires could be around 5 yrs old. Inspect brakes and repack bearings as necessary.

Inspect all the sealants especially on the roof, where joints meet and around vents, etc. If cracked or weathered time for new Dicor sealant there. Also inspect the seals around windows, lights, cargo doors etc. for integrity. Water intrusion is an RV`s worst enemy.

Run all systems and appliances and test for proper function. Sanitize fresh water system.

Here are some more in the link and although it is for a new trailer, some of the ideas are still relevant. There are also a few first trip essentials listed there.

Price sounds good, tell wife not to worry, go enjoy it. -Lee

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=2359

On edit, instead of a book I can recommend this RVing FAQ site as a good resource in addition to the Jayco owners forum

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...tid/264829.cfm
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum Sloan Ranger and congrats on your 2007 Jay Flight. The kids look like they're ready to go campin', so go campin'. First night I would recommend camp driveway if you can. That way you can check out all the systems to make sure they're functioning properly. It'll give you an idea of what stuff you'll need too.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #4

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum SloanRanger! Congrats on the "new" tt! I love those pics. You can just see how excited they are to be camping in such a neat tt

One way to check on the price of a used tt is go to NADA.com. Happy camping
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum. This is a good place to share information. Start on the roof and inspect all calking and wash it with mild soap and water. Wash and wax the sides, that will give you a really good chance to inspect everything. As mentioned, tires, appliances etc. Your trailer should be ready to use.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

Hi "The Sloan Ranger"

Your "new to you" 2007 Jay Flight 28RLS sounds like its in great shape.

If it were my new trailer, I'd probably:
- Wash the roof with Protect-All-Roof Cleaner (assume is has EDPM roof).
- Inspect the roof and where requried, add some Dicor Self Leveling caulking. Let dry for 48 hours.
- Apply Protect-All Roof Treatment to the roof (assume it has EDPM roof). If wondering, I believe in treating the roof. Others don't. IMO, a treated roof repels water and eliminates black streaks. After after roof treatment, rain water "beads up". Thus, showing me its protecting EDPM from rain pollution and other junk.
Note: Don't walk on its roof. Crawl on all 4s or better yet, place a 1/2" small sheet of plywood to distribute the body weight even more.
- Inspection around all windows, marker lights, corner edging, door and where needed, appy Dicor Self leveling Caulking. Just like on the roof, apply Dico caulking in 12"-15" length, then level out with your wet finger. Or, smooth out with your wet finger. Let dry for 48 hours.
- Buy some McGuires RV cleaner / wax (#50). If unable to find, buy McGuires Auto Cleaner Wx instead. I hear Mother's Cleaner / Wax is good as well. Using lots of elbow muscle, do "wax on / wax off" on its sides, front and rear. Use lots of circle motions, let the white haze dry, then wipe off. For me, I do 1 side each day and front/back last. Three days and my trailer is fully waxed - the old fashion manual way. If wondering, I clean roof / apply roof treatment + manually wax my RV trailer every 6 months. As a minimum, I recommend yearly.
- Remove its rims, remove its wheel hubs and replace its seals. Also re-pack with new "boat wheel bearing" grease. Boat grease repels natual moisture much better then normal wheel bearing grease. And, while wheel hubs are off, I'd clean the brake pads and magnets as well. And if needed, use sand paper / wire wool and remove any "old age" rust.
- I'd inspect its braking wiring as well. If needed, replace its old age wiring. Instead of installin linear wiring, install much better Star design wiring instead. And, use thick 10 Guag 12V wiring for best resuls.
- Inspect tires and if necessary, replace their rubber.
- Check all lights (brake, marker,signal) and if needed, fix all faulty lights.
- Check inside appliances like Fridge, microwave, AC unit, all lights, all outlets, etc. etc.
- Check all plumbing as well. Ensure no leaks. Tank sensors work. Hot Water tank works, valve tanks work, 12V pump works, etc. etc.

For the things you might need "on your 1st camping trip", it might be best the setup in your driveway for 2 full days. If you must go into your home to get something, then buy that item for your trailer. For example, Dishes, beddings, pillow, can opener, LCD TV, DVD/Medial Player, 110/120V fan, extension cord, basic tools, etc. etc.

Hope this helps...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

Hi Sloan....

Unknown to some, Jayco loves using "dry fit" RV windows. Dry fit means there's a rubber seal between the window's inner lip and the trailer's wall. Vision a little rubber wiper strip - like on a vehicle's windshield wiper blade. And just like thin rubber edge on a wiper blade, over time it gets hard, it shinks and it leaks. And, eventually lets water past it - into its inner wall (where it cannot be seen - until it's too late).

With above in mind, I'd recommend removing each windew, remove this black rubber seal, add soft puddy (like butyl bead) and re-install the window. Trim the soft puddy that is squeezed out (when the window is sucked back into center position) and apply clear or white silicone around the top and sides of the winter trim. For a cool DIY movie, surf:

If wondering, I re-sealed the windows on my 2006 Jayco. Of the 11 windows, 3 of them were leaking. One window was leaking really bad and I didn't even know it. Ouch!!! Water behind wall is a very bad thing. If wondering, I re-sealed 2 windows a weekend and did the large front windows during a single weekend. Now, no worries about leaky windows on our 2006 Jayco.

Since your Jacy is 2007 and no longer under warranty, I'd re-seals the windows in your Jacy as well. Preventative maintancne that can save thousands in the future...

Hope this helps as well...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

Wow! Thanks for all the thoughtful replies and advice. I'm amazed at how much detail was offered, and wanted to let you all know that it is very much appreciated!

Thanks again.
The Sloan Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #9

Wow is right! Some really good information I will put in my tool box. The window thing is concerning but Spike99 makes it "sound" easy. LOL When the time comes I will make sure and print that out. I really like the idea of DIY.

Anyway, enjoy the camper!
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote