Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #1

2012 26BH Thermal Package w/ Foil

How far below freezing with the Thermal Package w/ Foil protect against freezing provided the inside is kept well above?

Thanks.
crumrinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. You're in Colorado yes?

I wouldn't want to be the one to give you an absolute temperature and have you come back wanting to hurt me when your fresh water tank drain valve freezes off. Do you have an outside shower on that model? Do you plan on being connected to city water? These are all concerns if it get's below 30F for more than a few hours.

If you keep the inside in the 60's, I'm *guessing* you would be ok down into the 20's for some length of time. How long that ends up being is a discussion you'll have to probably have with your god.

That's a 3 season camper, even with the thermal package. There are mods to make it 4 season though if you are staying put for a while.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Thank you for your input
crumrinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

I'm using mine this winter for some 2-3 day ski trips with my kids. Here in WA Stevens Pass gets down in the low to mid 20's at night. There are electrical hook ups so I will use the propane and a space heater but I worry more about the snow myself. I will beef up some of the under belly area with spray foam and some other ideas I have thought of after inspecting it. The outdoor shower I will fill the compartment with insulation and close it to help there and the pipes close to that access is just under my bathroom sink right next to my heater so I'm sure it will be fine. Dump a little antifreeze in the grey water tank and the black tank till it's dumped. I guess I will just use some mods, common sense, and hope for the best. Glacier package helps but is not something to rely on 100% or the thermal package I have heard. For long extended periods of cold weather will I wouldn't do it without going without no water. IMO

Good luck
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the foil bubble wrap insulation offers the least amount of insulation. There are four different types of insulation and the bubble wrap style offers the least protection.

We have recently insulated our Alcove basement with the foam boards, similar the the one in this link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Expanded-Po...875-ft/3365576

This type is the next (major) step up, if you want to insulate your rig.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumrinem View Post
How far below freezing with the Thermal Package w/ Foil protect against freezing provided the inside is kept well above?

Thanks.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

I can't give you a number, but I can you tell I have camped in my 2012 29QBH WITHOUT the thermal package to mid-high 20*'s. One New Year's trip in particular was day times in the high 50*/low 60*, but once that sun set about 5:00pm it dropped to the 30s very quickly. We were on hookups so we kept the sinks running with a slight drip just to have movement in the lines. We burned a lot of propane, but we were comfortable and all systems kept running.

A camping neighbor, similar setup without thermal package, didn't run his water the way I did during his first night and his supply hose froze, but the internal plumbing was fine.

One thing to keep in mind, with the 2012 Thermal Package, the enclosed underbelly is heated with a single register being driven from the furnace. Therefore, you can't do the popular thing and run electric heaters to save propane and think you are heating the underbelly at all.

Our biggest issue was drafts coming from the front pass through storage up either side of the bed. Those pass through compartments on my JayFlight are not heated and the door provide nearly no insulation value. If you are going to camp in the cold, I would get some 2" foam and find a way to better insulate the pass through.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote