Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #1

A Hilton guy converting to a camper guy

Good morning everyone. Just joined this site this morning. Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there. I hope every Mom has a great day!!

Just purchased a 2011 Jayco 1006 model in prestige condition and can't wait to pick it up. It has all the bells and whistles on it and for me it was special because I will not have to crank it, to open it. I will be pulling it with a 2013 Nissan Murano.

I have so many questions as I am truly a newbie. Sorry, I am a Hilton guy, but my fiance' and her girls love to camp, so I decided to splurge and get a pop up so we can all enjoy.

My biggest issue at this time is where do I put 4 bikes? I have so many suggestions of behind my vehicle (with a dual hitch), on top of the camper, behind the camper. I really could use all of your help. PLEASE note that my Murano is supposedly too low for the pop up and I will have to use a "raised" hitch (flipping a drop hitch upside down????). I currently have a Reese hitch (class III/IV) on the vehicle and go in next week to have wiring installed (the hitch was only for my bike rack).

Thanks in advance for any help. I spent two days on the web for research, but did not find the best solution. Also forgot to mention....Indiana here.

Sincerely,

David
david0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on your JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

I was an Embassy Suites guy but I retired and now I am a JAYCO guy.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the JOF.

Yes. Rotating a 'drop' hitch to make a 'raised' hitch is the usual way that is done.

We were all newbies at one time or another and many of us on this site can help with your questions.... but I got nothing regarding your bicycles.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Try this for your bikes

Pro Rac Systems Inc. Tent Trailer 4 - Bike Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V2KN22..._aH4lxbZ6H6DEW

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #5

CONGRATULATIONS on your JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #6

Congratulations, our trailer allowed us to get out a lot more than when we were tenting.

As for bikes, there are lots of options. One thing to know about PUs they can bounce alot, so a rear bike rack needs to be able to handle the stress. If you do a rear rack, I would have a welding shop weld a 2" receiver hitch to the frame. Personally I would look at a roof mount system.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #7

I would recommend against the rear bumper mount. I thought that sounded like a great idea too when we had a PU but realized the extra weight takes too much weight off the hitch and can make the handling squirrelly. If I was doing it again I would put the racks on the PU roof. Or Yakima racks on the TV roof.

Congrats on the new trailer. We loved ours!!
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

We have an a-frame, but have been very happy with our Swagman tow hitch. This allows us to put our kayaks on the camper roof.

http://http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n...ow%2Caps%2C233
Aframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #9

ignorant newbie

Thank you for all the suggestions and welcomes!

Our first trip will be within a week, and we are just starting out (well I am), they have done this before. Everything works great on the pop up, but, do have a question on the battery. I was told a 20 amp fuse is all I need and I have read that I may need a 30 amp????? Also, when plugged in the camper will go up and down with no problems, lights, A/C, and everything works. When I try to raise the camper on battery, it goes about 3" and stops.
I do know that I did not have the charge line on my 7 way plug installed. Do I just need to always hook up (which is fine by me)??

So, how does this battery thing work? I did plug it in to charge (or I thought it would charge), but it isn't enough? Do I leave the fuse in when charging? Also there is a carbon monoxide detector in the camper that will go off when plugged in (charging)....is that draining the battery?

Sorry I did do a search and didn't see what I was looking for. Thanks in advance from this ignorant newbie.

David
david0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #10

We mounted a bike rack on top of the popup.

In regards to your drop hitch question, it makes no difference whether you use a L to raise or lower your hitch ball. Just make sure the first time you open you trunk, tailgate that you don't have clearance issues with the tounge, ball or otherwise. I've seen guys open there tailgate and let it go and it hits the ball and puts a nice dent in there car.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #11

Welcome and congrats on moving over to the fun side!!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
We mounted a bike rack on top of the popup.

In regards to your drop hitch question, it makes no difference whether you use a L to raise or lower your hitch ball.
Just verify that the ball mount is rated for both positions. There are some ball mounts that are to be used in the drop only position. It should state so on the sticker stating the drop (or rise).

X whatever for a bike rack on top of the pop up.

Have fun!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote