Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #31
Originally Posted by Blipe27 View Post
Thank you for your comment.
What was your first trailer? Part of the train we were looking at the wrote hawk is because I have been convinced that jayco is better constructed. We can get a very similar layout in a much lighter trailer with coachmen, but they sound like they are riddled with problems.

And I hear you... We've been through so many "this is the trailer!" We're getting annoyed with ourselves! But I agree that we need to take our time in selecting. Any other tips you have, especially regarding traveling with kids, I'd love to hear. Thanks!!
We full timed in a 40' Cedar Creek bunk house w/4 Slides. After having done that, I could full time in a shade smaller rig really. It was nice, but did have it's fair share of problems. Our present rig is our 8th, having owned all in all, 2 fifth wheels, 3 bumper pulls, class A motorhome, class C motorhome and a popup somewhere in there. They were not all in this order. We've covered them, and in the end, prefer the bumper pull for all uses. Bang for the buck per say, and doesn't cost over $100k.

John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-8 / Little John-5 / Iva-1+
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat FX4, CC LB PSD, DRW
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #32
Light Weight Construction Techniques

Hey Blipe,

Sounds like an amazing adventure in your near future. My 2 cents worth is to have a long hard look at construction techniques. Our last TT was a 34ft Sunset Trail Reserve. It was a beautiful rig, with what I would consider a high end trim level. It was very similar in size and weight to the trailers you are describing.

After 18 months of part time use, we traded it in. One of our main concerns was construction techniques. The methods used to make the guts of your trailer "Light Weight" ofen means inferior materials and construction techniques. The plywood in your benches can be too thin to support full time use and they often use staples instead of screws to fasten the materials resulting in seperation at the seams. Also look at things like the drawer slides, did they use good quality or go with inferior light weight equipment which will not stand the test of time.

As others have noted you do not want to find yourself trying to do major renos or repairs on your "home". Particularily when you will not have access to your regular household workshop.

I will chime in breifly on the truck issue... We pulled the Sunset with a Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L... 95% of the time it felt great. 5% of the time it scared the crap out of me. I think in retrospect one of the problems is the 1500's don't have a long enough wheelbase to accomodate a trailer of that length wether you are within weight or not.

No matter what you decide to do... I look forward to hearing stories of your full time adventure!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #33
Here's a great article in CampingWorld about RVing with a toddler: Tips For Traveling & Camping With A Toddler - Camping World

"I just go where I'm towed to"

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71/4x4 Duramax
Son's 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 + gifted 1984 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote

31dslb, 32dsbh, sway, warranty, whitehawk