Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #41

One thing I always do when hitching up. After I drop the tongue on the ball and latch it I use a Hyd. Jack and raise the tongue back up so that it tries to lift off the ball. This serves two purposes 1st it lets me know that I am securely on the ball and 2nd it makes it easier for me to engage the equalizer bars. Then I lower the jack.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
One thing I always do when hitching up. After I drop the tongue on the ball and latch it I use a Hyd. Jack and raise the tongue back up so that it tries to lift off the ball. This serves two purposes 1st it lets me know that I am securely on the ball and 2nd it makes it easier for me to engage the equalizer bars. Then I lower the jack.

I do the same thing using the Barker tongue jack. Do not need a pipe to engage/disengage the chains.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #43

Thank you. We just got a 2011 Jayco 1207 (obviously used) and there are no voltages listed on the 12V DC fuse panel (F1, F2, ...). We found two blown fuses, and are wondering if they were in the correct order: F1, F2, F3, F4 each had a 15 V. F5 had a 20 V. F6 had a 15 V. The overall fuse is a 40 V. I'm suspicious these should be in increasing size. Any ideas as to what voltages are standard?
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #44

Iirc my pop up had almost all 15A fuses on the 12V side. Circuit breakers obviously for the AC.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #45

Newbie here! 2015 Jayco X23U

Hi all! We purchased a used 2015 Jayco X23U today and we were wondering if anybody has any advice or tricks to offer for this trailer. Thanks in advance!
Ledwick2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #46

Congratulations on the new-to-you Jayco and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #47

Does Gel Coat come stock?

I'm buying my first Starcraft Launch 24RLS. 2017 model. we agreed on a price, but now the dealer is telling me it's important to ADD gelcoat to the trailer.. he'll be happy to do it at a "discounted rate" of $1,450!! So is this dude trying to rip me off? or is that actually a thing? I thought it's standard on all viberglass trailers
Bensjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #48

Crossed chains

On my first trip towing my new trailer I was pulled over by the cops after around 10 miles. I thought, "what the %$#%*"

Anyway, nice guy, wanted to tell me to cross my chains. Have done it ever since.

Ensign
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Basic things a New (bee) Trailer Owner Should Know

In no particular order.

The weights of your trailer listed by the manufacturer may not be your reality. The manufacturer is in the business of selling trailers. The dry weight and tongue weight claimed may be optimistically low . You need to go to a scale to know what your rig really weighs.

Most vehicle tow ratings need a formula to calculate the true trailer towing capacity. For most North American vehicles the passenger weight, cargo, fuel, etc. will subtract from the listed tow capacity found in the operator manual. Again, a scale is the only certain way to know your rig.

Too little tongue weight can be as bad as too much tongue weight. Too little tongue weight can cause the trailer to not track well. To the extent that your tow vehicle capacity and trailer allows, a bit more tongue weight is better than less.

Always cross your trailer safety chains. It is required by law in some states. Do not ever twist the chains to shorten them. Use a bungee cord to hold them up if necessary or apply made for the purpose replacement hooks to shorten. I use a heavy rubber band or piece of bicycle inner tube over the open end of the chain S hooks as a keeper if a hook keeper isn't provided.

Be certain to use a properly rated tow hitch and proper sized trailer ball. The trailer should sit level when connected to the tow vehicle. This is particularly important with dual axle trailers. If your trailer has electric trailer brakes you will need a brake controller. One is not necessarily included in all vehicle trailer towing packages. A proportional controller generally gives better performance over a more basic timed unit.

Most special trailer tires are speed rated to 65 mph. Speed rated is not speed limited. Tire pressure can affect the speed range. Too little tire pressure is a greater sin than too much pressure. Consult your tire manufacturer information.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf

Trailer Power.
Most all trailers have an AC power system (like in your home) and a 12 volt DC power system (similar to your car battery). You should familiarize yourself with where the power panels are located. The AC power will have circuit breakers. Typically the DC system has fuses for protection.

The AC power is supplied though a cord from a campsite power pedestal, or by a 120 VAC home type receptacle by using an adapter (commonly called a "Dog Bone"). If using a temporary extension cord it is best to use a #12 AWG rated cord. Some trailers may have a generator or inverter to supply AC power (most often at some limited capacity compared to pedestal power). The 12 vdc power may be supplied by the trailer battery or by a built in charger/converter supplied by the 120 VAC cord system.

Typically the interior and exterior lighting of your trailer is supplied by the 12 vdc system. If your interior lights work when plugged into the AC power system, but don't if you unplug, then you are using the charger/converter only and likely you have a battery related problem. Other 12 vdc equipment is the trailer breakaway emergency braking system, propane gas detector, possibly your smoke detector?, furnace control and fan power, refrigerator control power when on propane, refrigerator when on 12 vdc select, sound system, fresh water pump, bath fan, and any slide out or jacking motors.

When your trailer is not plugged in to AC power the battery will be drained. Even just sitting, the battery state of charge will deteriorate through internal resistance and chemical reaction. Most trailers also have a Propane Detector which is constantly connected and drawing power from the battery. You should never run your battery below 50% charge. It significantly reduces the service life of the battery. The battery should be a special deep discharge type battery, not a typical vehicle starting battery.

Typically the 120 VAC power feeds your home type power convenience receptacles, air conditioning, microwave, and refrigerator (when on 120 VAC select). The convenience receptacles should be Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter GFCI protected. Often this is accomplished by using one feed thru type receptacle. If you lose one section of receptacle power and the circuit breakers are all OK, then check for a tripped GFCI receptacle. A common place to locate that GFCI is in the bathroom. Larger trailers will likely have more than one GFCI receptacle common to a group of receptacles.

Propane.
Your propane tanks valves are required to be secured in the off position before entering any tunnel. Fire regulations state that open flame appliances like a refrigerator running on propane must be turned off before entering the pump apron area of fuel filling stations. (Running a refrigerator on 12 vdc select is OK.) Your trailer propane tank controls have an automatic flow limiter. Always turn your propane valves on very slowly. If the valve is opened quickly it may trigger the flow limiter and prevent your gas appliances from operating. For safety most propane manufacturers suggest that propane tanks should be secured in the off position while traveling.

If your propane detector starts beeping turn off your propane tanks. If no propane smell is detected, next check the battery voltage. Propane detectors have a low voltage monitor. That monitor will trigger if your battery discharges too much (typically below the 50% charge mentioned earlier) or there is some other 12 vdc power system problem.

Roof/Seals
Carefully visually inspect your roof system at least 2 times per year. Use proper compatible sealant (EPDM trailer roofs are common) or Eternabond tape to repair any questionable roof areas. When looking at a used trailer any evidence of added sealant and repair maintenance is a good thing. It indicates that the owner inspected and cared. Finding no evidence of any roof repairs on an older trailer is not necessarily a good thing.

At least twice per year storage and other outside access compartments should be checked for evidence of moisture damage. Always be aware of discoloration of the vinyl floor covering. It can be a sign of water leaking into the trailer. Remove drawers and open cabinets to check for leaks also. Finding and repairing leaks early on is very important in travel trailers. When you change the A/C air filter always inspect for signs of water leaks. There is a roof seal for the roof mounted A/C unit which has a history of leaking over time.

The seals around windows and doors should also be periodically inspected. If the seals deteriorate then water can get in. (Opinion: I recommend against using silicon seal. Once silicon seal cures I know of nothing which will properly bond to it. Not even more silicon seal. It needs to be THOROUGHLY cleaned and removed before resealing. I like Sikaflex 221 polyurethane as one sealant example. BoatLife Life Caulk, moisture cure polysulfide rubber, is another good sealant, but it is not recommended for plastics like plastic vent flanges. It is available at most marine stores. It is usable for long after any expiration date on the tube. Polysulfide is rated good for EPDM use. To verify compatibility search using polysulfide "Thiokol".)

Tanks
You typically will have 3 tanks mounted low (under) in the trailer. One is for toilet waste called "Black" water. One for sink drains called "Gray" water. One for potable water or drinking water typically referred as "Fresh" water. Some larger RV's and trailer may have additional duplicate tanks of one type or another. It is best for weight and fuel economy to empty the tanks before traveling, or at least minimize how full they are.

Water
Your sinks and shower can typically be supplied by one of two methods. At a campsite water is supplied by connecting to a hose bib with a white hose. In that mode your water pressure is supplied directly from the camp city water system. The fresh water tank doesn't need to be filled for hose connected city water use to work.

The other supply method is to use the water from your fresh water tank mentioned previously. That water needs to be pumped up to pressure by using the 12 vdc water pump. When you are on the camper fresh water tank supply you will likely hear the pressure pump operate when a faucet is opened. That is normal. It is also normal for the pump to come on occasionally to build up system pressure. If the pump is noticed to run more often than is usual overnight when nothing is in use, you may have a water leak somewhere.

I prefer not to fill my fresh water tank if not needed. If I don't fill it I avoid carrying the weight and also avoid draining it. We use a temporary method for occasional toilet use when city water hookup is not available. I fill a number of peanut butter jars with water. Those plastic jars are stowed in the sink or in a basket. After the toilet is used, the flush empty valve is operated and then a single jar of water is used to flush and refill a bit. We use wipes for cleaning our hands. I know, not a method for everyone...

The fresh water tank and fresh water piping system needs to be periodically sanitized using a special procedure. Consult your manual.

Please feel free to add to this thread. vic
That is a lot to remember. We have picked out what we want but hubby is dragging tail on committing. The main thing is the truck. We have (excuse me), he has a 2015 dodge ram 1500 hemi with a towing package, which is his baby. He put larger tires on it too. He is afraid that he will ruin his truck by pulling a tractor to heavy. He has been told many different things, but one thing is for sure we will be putting air shocks on it. Other than that I think it will be okay. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Martian67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #50

A Newbee lesson on electrical: Took my new 23mrb on a shakedown cruise. Set up per check list. Arrived first night and TV and Microwave would not work but the DVD player would. Checked all of the fuses, etc. Called Jayco and we all decided it was probably the GFCI not working. After sleeping on it, this didn't make sense to me so I called Jayco again. A great tech suggested I check all of the neutral (white wire connections) at the fuse box; they were all connected. Called him back again and he asked me to describe the symptoms; lights worked, TV & Microwave did not work, DVD player worked. Aha! DVD player is 12 volts (I assumed 120 volts). He told me to go check shore power plug (this was getting embarrassing). Sure enough, I had placed a plastic cover over the shore power connection and fastened with a bungee cord as it was pouring rain when I set up. An animal, a child playing, or maybe even my wife or myself had hit the plastic box which bumped the cord which then pulled the plug out about 1/4." Pushed the plug back into the EMS but still couldn't get power. Called Progressive and a somewhat exasperated tech asked if I had read the manual. (I had, but being a newbee there was only so much information I had retained). He said to wait until the EMS went through its own test cycle and then see if it worked. Yes it did! Plug out and understanding the "self test" of an EMS did the trick! To you other newbees; I actually enjoyed this troubleshooting. After the 3 - 4 hours of checking everything I learned a lot about my TT, and that was what the shakedown cruise was about .
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensjayco View Post
I'm buying my first Starcraft Launch 24RLS. 2017 model. we agreed on a price, but now the dealer is telling me it's important to ADD gelcoat to the trailer.. he'll be happy to do it at a "discounted rate" of $1,450!! So is this dude trying to rip me off? or is that actually a thing? I thought it's standard on all viberglass trailers

I would keep the $1450. In my bank account and tell them thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #52

Smile Thanks for the info, and making myself known as a newbie.

It's late so I'm not gonna say a lot. While I've been a camper for years and even owned a camper long ago, I never pulled it. It stayed at a campground and they pulled it out for me.

I am about to receive delivery of a new 2017 Jayco x17z. Not a huge camper by any means, but PERFECT for me and my wife, our Cocker and our anticipated future grandchildren. Loved the features, light weight, etc. Always wanted a full blown motorhome, but this fits our needs, for now. (Don't tell the wife I said that, I've been forbidden from the upsize thing)

Thanks for all the great info this site offers, already had one question answered, and I look forward to visiting often.
neonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #53

WOW. Really? 120 Volt A/C for a Jayco Designer RV? I did not know this. Thank God I didn't put that 220 recepticle outside the garage to plug up the RV. So, 50 AMP 120 volt?
scashvyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #54

For you new camp trailer and 5th wheel owners make sure you block your trailer tires before you unhook from your tow vehicle. Also make sure you unhook your safety chains before you try to pull away from your trailer. One of my neighbors pulled his trailer off the blocks when he tried to drive away with the chains still hooked onto his pickup. Luckily it was in his drive way, he stopped before there was actually any damage done. I took my floor jack to his house, jacked up the trailer, Than he could back up and put it back on the ball. He than backed the camp trailer up the few inches to put things right again. He unhooked everything this time and all was fine. No visible damage done just a big lesson learned.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #55

Wow, valuable information here. I will save this for myself and others, thank you
Jonright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #56

Great info

Going to pickup my new to me 2016 white hawk saturday. Never done any of this before....but all this helps. I'll be checking back, and the tires will be properly filled before I leave!
Swamp Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #57

New to the game

Just picked up a 2017 jay flight. New to all of this as well! Looking to get some good info and have some fun!
Medicdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #58

Thanks VicS1950. My 2018 Jay Flight 212QB is my second trailer and there's always something new to learn.

Question here: The awning on my new trailer is power run. Should we not have power sometime for whatever reason, how do you recommend I bring the awning in during a storm or time to leave?
Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #59

Your awning should be run off your trailer battery so you should have power even when you don't have shore power. If your battery is completely dead you can plug your trailer back in to your tow vehicle to supply power and bring your awning in.

Cheers
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #60

Thanks for all the info!!!
G8rNrs is offline   Reply With Quote