Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #1

Bought the Jay Flight 26BH instead of SLX 264BHW

Hi all, my wife and I have been tent campers all our lives but it began to be too much of a struggle fitting all our gear in our little cars and a huge pain packing it all up, especially now with two daughters.

Three years ago we bought a 1989 Bonair Tent Trailer to test the waters. 900 lbs and easily tow-able with my Toyota Corolla. This worked great but we knew we wanted a bit bigger,

Two years ago we bought a 1991 Starcraft Tent Trailer. 1100 lbs and an amazing little trailer. I thought this would do us for many years to come.

Last year on a lark I stopped in at an auction near my house and walked away with a great deal on a 2007 Mallard Sport 18CK. Convinced myself I would just borrow my Dad's truck when needed.

Earlier this year we came to the conclusion that my Dad's two seater truck wouldn't do for longer trips where taking two vehicles is impractical. We both commute 80km per day so buying a new tow vehicle was always out of the question so we decided to buy a 2003 Toyota Sequoia as a dedicated TV and occasional use vehicle.

The Mallard Sport only whetted our appetites. As we used it we decided we wanted a different floorplan and better quality.

In addition to regular camping we hope to start doing a lot of travelling and a 22 hour drive to Disney with the kids and my sister and sister-in-law so we wanted more beds.

I began researching and shopping around and once I found Jayco I had a hard time looking at other campers.

We decided had pretty much decided Jay Flight SLX 264BHW and were looking at it at a few different dealers locally, on the internet, and in every forum post here I could find. Then something made me read into the differences between it and the Jay Flight 26BH. What a mistake!

This cost me hours of time and research comparing options and specs trying to justify one or the other.

Local dealers only had the 264BHW in stock and the one dealer ****** me off so this passed weekend my wife and packed up the car and headed across the province on six hour drive to Sicard RV in Smithville, ON. I think they claim to be the largest dealer in the Province, if not Canada and I believe them. They are HUGE!

We looked at the 264BHW one more time, then at the 26BH and we were hooked. No question about it, for us the addition of the better frame, 8 cuft fridge, outlets and lights in each bunk, doors on the dinette benches, with pull out bins, struts to help lift the queen bed, 12V & 2xUSB in master bedroom, more cabinets, electric tongue jack, solar ready, etc. make the 26BH a better deal.

In addition this model came with the thermal package, bumper BBQ, roof ladder, TV (not a plus for us), and aluminum rims.

Since we decided this is our final stop on the camper buying spree we might as well get it right and spend the little extra cash.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps anyone else on the fence like I was.

Any advice on how to not go CRAZY waiting nearly 4 weeks until I can finally go back to pick it up?

Attached Thumbnails
20160423_180504_001.jpg  
Guntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

Congrats and welcome to the forum. The 26BH is an awesome floor plan, easy to tow and good storage. Good choice! Did the dealer sell you a hitch too?

Which dealership ****** you off? What did they do to lose your business?

You will love the info and help on this forum. It will point you in the right direction and you will learn lots about your new trailer.

Just a head's up - often times these trailers come from the factory with little problems that will need to be fixed. Don't get discouraged if this happens to yours - I hate to say it but it's pretty much normal these days! Just do a thorough PDI when you pick it up, look at EVERYTHING, make a list of things that come up and the dealer will fix it under warranty.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #3

Welcome and congrats on the new tt!!!

The waiting will give you time to gather the extras needed: quality sewer hose (dealer included one is cheap), fresh water hose, wheel chocks, boards/Lego blocks for leveling, etc....

What kind of wdh did you get? One with integrated sway control is generally a little better than the side mounted unit. You don't need to worry about removal when making extremely tight turns either. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good unit. Even though the dealer will set up your wdh, plan on readjusting it once you load the trailer up for a trip. Dealer is only setting up an empty trailer. Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info.

The prodigy P2 and P3 have great reviews if you don't have a brake controller yet.

Enjoy!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
...Did the dealer sell you a hitch too?
Yes, a brand new Reese WDH with sway bar.

Quote:
Which dealership ****** you off? What did they do to lose your business?
RV Canada in Ottawa. The salesman I was dealing with was great, but when I made an offer on a 264BHW and he brought his "manager" over he started bashing the other dealer saying they were not doing any PDI and that I'd leave with tonnes of issues and really pressuring me.

Quote:
Just a head's up - often times these trailers come from the factory with little problems that will need to be fixed. Don't get discouraged if this happens to yours - I hate to say it but it's pretty much normal these days! Just do a thorough PDI when you pick it up, look at EVERYTHING, make a list of things that come up and the dealer will fix it under warranty.
Yeah very aware of that. I found quite a few things out of place on every trailer I looked at. More on the 264BHW than the 26BH, but even one of the 26BHs I looked at had some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
What kind of wdh did you get? One with integrated sway control is generally a little better than the side mounted unit. You don't need to worry about removal when making extremely tight turns either. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good unit. Even though the dealer will set up your wdh, plan on readjusting it once you load the trailer up for a trip. Dealer is only setting up an empty trailer. Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info.
Thanks for the tips! I know it's a Reese, and the sway bar is part of the hitch, but I think it's the kind I need to remove for tight turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
The prodigy P2 and P3 have great reviews if you don't have a brake controller yet.
I'll check them out. I know my Sequoia has a plug 'n play port under the dash, but the cable my owner's manual says is stored in the glove box is missing which is not surprising in a 13 year old vehicle. Not a fan of paying an extra $20 to $30 (Canadian) just for this cable but I guess I have no choice.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

Congrats! Here is a good deal from another forum member on the Tekonsha (almost half off):

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oot-35179.html
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

Thumbs up from us as well on that dealer...
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

Congrats on the new trailer! I used an advertisement from that dealer that you landed at to beat up my local dealer on pricing

I suggest reading through the forum as you prepare for the summer!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

Just curious - what weight rating is the hitch and bars they sold you?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Just curious - what weight rating is the hitch and bars they sold you?
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't ask. I honestly didn't realize one WDH was different than another on weight rating but now that you ask it makes total sense.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

Quite a journey! I think your final decision was the right one.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

Congrats on your purchase from Northeast Ohio!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #12

I ordered this brake controller and wireing adapter for my 2003 Toyota Sequoia last night so of course this morning the brake controller is $10 cheaper. Might be a change in exchange rate I guess. I had been tempted by an $80 unit from Canadian Tire, but in the end decided the extra $100 was insignificant compared to my camper investment. I have a feeling a lot of accessories are going to have that justification applied to their purchase.

Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control

Tekonsha 3040-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter for 02-C Toyota
Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #13

Congrats on the new trailer!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #14

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW 26BH.

Since the dealer is so far away, DO NOT LET THE DEALER RUSH THE PDI! Try BOTH indoor and outdoor speakers, Check the stove and oven burners, Check around the hot water heater and under the sink for metal drill shavings, DO go up on the roof and look around all the stuff on the roof and look at the sealant. Look for any possible tears on the roof material. Check that drawers are flat when closed and not crooked. In other words, really look hard for things wrong so you don't have to go back to the dealer anytime soon.

On the trip to Florida, there are a lot of wallymarts along the way that allow you to spend the night in their parking lots, BUT, call and ask for the manager to make sure. There are a few out there that do not allow you to camp in the parking lot!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

We went back and forth on the 264bhw and 26bh quite a bit. We were convinced that the difference were so minor, we just couldn't justify the extra expense until you started adding on packages making the cost difference that much more. Well, something similar happened on getting screwed by a dealership so we ended up finding another dealer, albeit much further away, to work with. Paid about the same amount for a 26bh (no add-on packages). Now that we have the 26bh, the differences ARE that much greater. We've had it for two weeks and only spent three nights in it, but we are very pleased with it thus far. Enjoy!!
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote