Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Campgrounds and dogs

Just finished reading posts on the Forest River forum about unruly dogs in RV parks. Nearly 70 posts before the posts were stopped in less than 7 hours.

We have been accosted by dogs off leashes numerous times. I had a nearly 60 lb dog jump on my wife as she was sitting in the cab of our truck with the door open.

I will be carrying bear spray or mace in the future. If an unleashed dog charges me he will get a face full.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #2

Here in New England I have rarely seen dogs off leash. I have more problems with unruly kids running through campsites. There is very little " campground etiquette" being taught in this day and age....
Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

I will start out by saying I like dogs. We had a dog for many years until she passed a couple years back. We don't have one now mainly because it is hard because we both work full time and we feel it isn't fair to leave one locked up at home all day while we are away. We did this in the past but choose not to do this now.

While we loved the affection of having a dog and the kids constantly beg to get another we have resisted for now simply because it makes it so much easier to travel without having to find a family member or kennel to watch after them. When we had a dog and camper we found it limited our options with camping. We were at two separate campgrounds the last two weekends and both do not allow dogs. They tell you when you place your reservation. They say it when you check in. There are signs as you pull into the campground. The first weekend we didn't hear or see any dogs. This last weekend the site behind us had a dog. It was a middle aged lady with two daughters who were tenting it. They set up and an older lady (mom/grandma maybe) pulled in around dinner with a Lab. I saw it over there but it never barked and never left their site. Not too many placed for a lab to hide in a tent though and eventually the camp hosts came by, told them of the policy and informed the older lady she would have to leave. She loaded her stuff up in the car and left. The next evening a camper pulled in. I had noticed it because it was a smaller and older Jayco bumper pull camper with a second utility trailer with an ATV in it that was being pulled by a F150 with a Yamaha FJR in the back. I saw them go by and thought there is no way that isn't over weight. He set up in a site a pretty good distance from us and I didn't think much of it. The next morning they had a dog (golden retriever maybe) chained up to a tree. The dog was barking all morning. Didn't take long for the camp hosts to swing by and ask them to leave.

We knew the rules of these campgrounds when we had a dog. We either camped somewhere else or found a puppy sitter. Even though our dog was small and normally pretty quiet where I doubt she would be noticed much we followed the rules. Maybe they missed the signs. Maybe they were not told by the person checking them in. I wasn't there but I don't have too much problem with pets as long as they are kept under control.

We have a neighbor who has a dog. The sweetest Alpine Husky I have ever seen. She is very mellow, doesn't jump up on people or anything. However he, like us doesn't believe in leaving a dog locked up while he isn't home. However he is single and works a lot so the dog is left out to wander the neighborhood all the time. I get tired of the dog taking a dump in our yard as it never stays in his yard. I hate to call the cops on him but this has been going on for years and it is getting old. We have talked with him about it as have some of the other neighbors. The dog is really well behaved otherwise so I could tell it to stay and call the cops and it would still be sitting there 30 minutes later when they got there if I wanted to. I have been reluctant to do that though because my kids are not afraid of it so it doesn't cause much stress in our house other than having to clean up after someone else's dog.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Here in New England I have rarely seen dogs off leash. I have more problems with unruly kids running through campsites. There is very little " campground etiquette" being taught in this day and age....
I agree with this in the NY area as well. Drunk and disorderly adults and kids running / biking through campsites are what I see most. Dogs seem better behaved then people.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I agree with this in the NY area as well. Drunk and disorderly adults and kids running / biking through campsites are what I see most. Dogs seem better behaved then people.
Rather funny isn't it. People take their dogs to obedience training, but don't teach their kids manners, morals, and respect...
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #6

[QUOTE=preceptjoe;535206

I will be carrying bear spray or mace in the future. If an unleashed dog charges me he will get a face full.[/QUOTE]

Now just when have you ever had a dog charge you in a camp ground or any other place? I think you should use it on the owners or some of those inconsiderate campers that carry on at all hours of the night or in the rest rooms when kids and ( adults) using that term loosely, destroy it.
I don't like it when people don't pickup after their dogs and there are dog bag stations everywhere.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
Just finished reading posts on the Forest River forum about unruly dogs in RV parks. Nearly 70 posts before the posts were stopped in less than 7 hours.

We have been accosted by dogs off leashes numerous times. I had a nearly 60 lb dog jump on my wife as she was sitting in the cab of our truck with the door open.

I will be carrying bear spray or mace in the future. If an unleashed dog charges me he will get a face full.
Not sure why you would post like this so I will take it as bluster or an isolated event that happened to you or a friend. We have camped in everything from a popup to a TT over the last 40 years and have never faced an attack or anything more than an occasional annoyance by an inconsiderate neighbor with a dog. We are dog people and take great care to train them and leash them per the CG rules and have never had a complaint about them. Dogs are, at the end of the day, dogs and even the best of them will have a bad moment but to threaten to pepper spray a neighbors dog is something that you seriously need to reconsider. If you head out with a chip on your shoulder you are likely going to start a major confrontation that 9 times out of 10 could have been prevented by a simple conversation with neighbor.

We are retired and do a lot of traveling in the winter months. Snowbirds as we might be called also tend to be pet owners so its not uncommon to be in a state park campground with many dogs. People with problem dogs know they have problem dogs and pretty much don't bring them camping. My experience is more with bad pet owners many with small Fufu dogs who they think are exempt from CG rules like cleaning up after their pet or caging them in an outdoor enclosure like an oversized laundry basket. We are not shy about asking them to tend to their pets. We have never felt it necessary to threaten a fellow camper with pepper spray.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:

I travel with three Standard Poodles. They are high end show dogs. Well trained, socialized, friendly, and respectful. But dogs are dogs. Every once in a while one will sneak through the gate or get out to say hi or explore. You would not want to mace one of my poodles. You wouldn't like me when I am angry.

Call the park owners and complain about me and let them handle it. Come and find me and have a conversation. I doubt you are even informed enough to understand the difference between a real charging dog (of which there are very few) and a dog that just wants to say hi to who they view as a new potential friend.

I do not defend idiots who deliberately lets their dogs run loose, but your proposed course of action will turn a potentially friendly dog encounter into a potentially ugly situation.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Site Team

We've been to many, many CG's with our dog, and it seems like there are more folks with them every year. That's great, 'cause it's more friends for the puppy to make, and for us to meet their owners. Our Corgi thinks everyone exists to pet him, and give him biscuits! Therefore, he wants to go up to everyone. He's never aggressive, but he does get mouthy.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #10

Personally, I like dogs, had them as a kid. My husband and I have been camping offf and on for over 40 years and there have been a lot of changes. The days when all campers followed the rules, whether with dogs or kids are almost gone. As I posted earlier, here in N.E, I have seen very few incidents of unleashed dogs, but lots of incidents of rude and disrespectful kids. The bottom line is there are people who live by the rules and those who think the rules don't apply to them. I have no problems bringing the latter to the attention of the campground owners and seeing them being told to leave. Whatever the reason people camp for, they should not have to put up with rude campers who disregard the rules.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #11

We have a dog and we take her camping. Last year while my husband was walking our dog around our local campground a dog that was at a permanent site ran off the deck and bit our dog in the ear.
We always have our dog on her leash or a tie out. We camp at this campground at least 3 times a year. I guess the people at the permanent site didn't feel the rules applied to them.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #12

We have a dog and travel with her whenever we can. First I will say that the dogs are not to blame, it is the owners. My dog can be protective and I am conscious of what is around my dog when we go for a walk or I let her loose at the dog park. Overall she is a mush, but I still keep her under my control and avoid altercations or uncomfortable situations for both myself and others. As an owner you know your dog and what they are capable of and I agree they should be leased at all times unless in a designated area that allows for leash free play. Even in these locations I know what makes my dog uncomfortable and avoid it. Most CG's have a release you need to sign so if someone is not abiding by the rules you could ruin it for all of us.

As for the kids and etiquette, again that starts with the parents. I always go over the rules with my kids in a new campground and have no problem calling them out when they are wrong. This goes for the pools as well.

If I am getting a lot of cut through traffic the first thing we do is greet every person that cuts through which usually puts a 50% or more reduction in the traffic. Then the makeshift fence of "stuff" goes in the way. Now if they don't get the hint out comes my dog on her tether in the path who usually greets them with a nice bark and finally deters them.

I could go on and on with regards to peeves...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
We have a neighbor who has a dog. The sweetest Alpine Husky I have ever seen. She is very mellow, doesn't jump up on people or anything. However he, like us doesn't believe in leaving a dog locked up while he isn't home. However he is single and works a lot so the dog is left out to wander the neighborhood all the time. I get tired of the dog taking a dump in our yard as it never stays in his yard. I hate to call the cops on him but this has been going on for years and it is getting old. We have talked with him about it as have some of the other neighbors. The dog is really well behaved otherwise so I could tell it to stay and call the cops and it would still be sitting there 30 minutes later when they got there if I wanted to. I have been reluctant to do that though because my kids are not afraid of it so it doesn't cause much stress in our house other than having to clean up after someone else's dog.
I had a similar problem many years ago. I delivered a shovel full to the offender's doorstep and never had another problem.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #14

Like others said, it's the unruly campers that are a bigger issue, and speeding golf carts who are driving way faster then the posted campground speed limit or common decency would suggest, with that said, the only real issues I have had with unleashed dogs, was when I take my German Shepherd Dog to the dog walk on a leash and other unleashed dogs run up to approach her, she get's defensive, she is doing her job defending her family, She only gets defensive if the other dog is approaching quickly, this has happened several times, There has never been an injury to anyone or any pet, and usually the other pet owner comes over to apologize and get there dog. The next time I would take my GSD to the pet walk I would take a different route in order to avoid the situation from repeating.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #15

The campground we stay at has pretty strict rules concerning kids and dogs. Two warnings and your removed. #1 issue are those that don't clean up after their dogs. #2 are those who have continual barking dogs. Those are the main problems. Furthermore you can't leave your dog unattended at all outside your Rv without an Adult. Has to being on 6ft at all times outside unless in fenced in park. As for kids, they aren't allowed to leave the Site if they are under 12 years old with out adult supervision. Running through other sites is not permitted either. So eventually, I would imagine many campgrounds will tighten rules. But don't think kids and dogs are the only problem, I've seen and heard of Adults and even Seniors get warnings for their behavior or issues (like highway driving through a campgrounds) etc..

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #16

We always bring our little rescue mutt with us. She is always leashed or tethered when outside the trailer. This also serves for her own protection. Our biggest problem is kids and people that just run up and want to pet her. She is not aggressive but we always remind strangers they should ask the owner before sticking your hand in a dog's face.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #17
Site Team

We have a highly trained GSD. Even though his control and behavior are top notch, we find it easier to kennel him when we travel unless it is absolutely necessary to bring him with us. You would be shocked at how many people react negatively to just the sight of a large dog regardless of how well mannered he is.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 06-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #18

My original post may have upset some. But after being bitten more than once in my 70 years and being chased while jogging and on my bike I am going to be defensive. No one knows what is in the head of an advancing dog. I agree unruly kids are not properly parented, but at least they don't bite and maul people as we read and see in the news all to often. How will you feel if your dog gets loose and bites a child. Lawyers could have a field day bringing lawsuits against you.

I remember as a kid camping with my parents that deer and turkeys would enter the campground. You don't see that today with all the barking dogs.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #19

It you camp a lot, it's bound to happen. Just like going to a ball game. You're always gonna have that one guy. It's inevitable. The best you can do is either roll with it, or stop camping. Yeah, I've been bitten. More than once actually. Never camping though. Does it keep me from camping or enjoying myself? Nahh. Is what it is. What are the chances a dog is gonna jump on me at a campground and maul me? I personally think they're pretty slim. I've been camping since I was born and have never had a negative experience with a dog at a campground.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
My original post may have upset some. But after being bitten more than once in my 70 years and being chased while jogging and on my bike I am going to be defensive. No one knows what is in the head of an advancing dog. I agree unruly kids are not properly parented, but at least they don't bite and maul people as we read and see in the news all to often. How will you feel if your dog gets loose and bites a child. Lawyers could have a field day bringing lawsuits against you.

I remember as a kid camping with my parents that deer and turkeys would enter the campground. You don't see that today with all the barking dogs.
No offence taken by your original post. However it does show the rational as to why I try not to bring my dog with me when at all possible. You have a right to be apprehensive around dogs given your negative past experience with them. However, it begs the question as to why you would put yourself in an area with many dogs given your inherent negative feelings about them. Perhaps a dog free campground would be of a better fit for you.
Closed Thread