Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Confused About Ordering vs. Buying Off Lot

This has probably been mentioned here before but could not find search function via the mobile site.

A local dealer has the X254 sitting on their lot. It looks like it has been there a long time with the rear slide extended in the hot CA sun. The rubber seal around it was discolored and grey (not black anymore.) I brought it up to salesman and he blew me off saying that's how it is supposed to look.

Can I still request to order a new one? Will they jack up the price?

If a dealer says they carry a brand do I just ask them to order what I want? What if I've never stepped inside one? I would like to before committing to purchasing but I have found that most dealers local don't even have what models I am interested in on their lots.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

You can always order, but the price will probably be higher since they want to clear existing inventory.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #3

Also, check alternative purchasing methods to get pricing to help you make a decision ... RV DIRECT, Costco or Sam's Club, etc.. We used Costco and got off-the-lot at a Jayco dealership, and are very happy.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Also, check alternative purchasing methods to get pricing to help you make a decision ... RV DIRECT, Costco or Sam's Club, etc.. We used Costco and got off-the-lot at a Jayco dealership, and are very happy.
I briefly looked into Costco and they referred me to a local dealer an hour away. Called them up and guy said it wouldn't be any better of a deal.

How did that work for you and how much did you save? More than the typical 30% off MSRP?
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

I just ordered a 23MBH and got 33% off MSRP. I used the same tactic as I do as a General Contractor looking for sub bids. I sent out emails to several local dealerships and was up front and honest that I was shopping multiple places, knew exactly what I wanted, had financing in place and was ready to buy. Within hours of sending the emails I had a deal in place at exactly the price I was looking to pay.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

well I was concerned about the same thing and didn't want to drive everywhere looking so we went to the rv show, looked at all the options and different units, found one we loved and asked them if we could order one at the show price. They said yes and gave us a great trade in for ours so we ordered. It takes some patience on your part for the waiting game when you order but to us it was worth it, because we almost got exactly what we ordered lol
Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
I sent out emails to several local dealerships and was up front and honest that I was shopping multiple places, knew exactly what I wanted, had financing in place and was ready to buy. Within hours of sending the emails I had a deal in place at exactly the price I was looking to pay.
I did the same thing. I got a quote from RVdirect and knew that to be a fair price where the dealer makes money and I save money. That was about 36% off MSRP. I would have a 6 hour drive to pick it up, but it would have been near a location we would have been okay to camp near anyways.

Anyhow, I knew the exact model I wanted, knew the exact options I wanted and knew the exact colors I wanted. I sent emails to local dealers, let them know I was a buyer and I needed a quote by the end of the week. This way they could look up a price when they had some down time. Whomever jumped on this deal was going to get a quick and easy sale.

One of the dealers gave me a quote slightly above RVdirect pricing. With minimal discussion they dropped the price $300 and were only $300 over RVdirect pricing. For $300 and no 6 hour drive they had a customer.

There is the theory that a dealer is more motivated to sell a unit on his lot. That is true... but they have also been paying overhead on that unit and have more money invested in that unit.

A smart dealer will take a quick dollar by selling you a custom ordered trailer, rather than letting you walk and not make anything on you.

If you make it clear to them that you do NOT want the unit they have on the lot, but are ready to buy one they order for you, they should be smart enough to take what they can get.

I went in to the dealership the end of January and spent about 10 minutes looking over the purchase order making sure it was correct and giving my 10% deposit. My salesman emailed me with progress reports and called when it was in. Yesterday we walked in the dealership with a check for the balance. Did the PDI walkthrough, final paperwork and temp tag before the shop guys finished putting on the hitch.

The dealer and salesman made their profit with minimal time wasted. I felt I got a good deal and love the camper. We both walked away happy. That is the best way to handle ANY transaction.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote