Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Considering Jayco for my first trailer

Hello all,
I joined today because I am probably going to be buying my first travel trailer soon and am considering a Jayco. I camped a lot as a kid and have gotten away from it over the last 20 years. I now have a wife and two young kids (5 and 7)and we love everything outdoors. The only thing is, I don't really like sleeping in a tent or dealing with the half day of packing and organizing that goes along with tent camping. I believe that if we get a small travel trailer that is loaded with the essentials, we could hit the road and a grocery store and be on our way in no time. I have RV parking on the side of my house, but it's not too much space. I drive a 2011 chevy suburban so I don't think towing capacity will be an issue, but I still like the idea of a small space to sleep and escape the elements if we need to, but mostly something small and cozy to get us out more. I think we will be doing a lot of camping at smaller non-hookup sites, so the small size would be helpful there too, I think.

I've looked at a few brands of 17 and 21' models and my favorite so far is the Jay Flight SLX 154BH. I like the baja ed for the extra stabilizer jacks, and larger water tank(I think), and a few other features. I liked the 174 model too, but I think the dinette is so small that we really wouldn't be gaining much from the extra size. Using the 154's dinette mostly as a bed and only as a table if we have bad weather seems like a fine way to go. At this point, I'm 90% sold on the 154BH model, but I welcome any advice that you all have to offer. I hope to pay cash for this new trailer in the next few months, so any advice on how to deal with the dealers would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you,
Don
don m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Have fun in the decision. There are likely many here who already own that rig and will be happy to jump in with their experiences.

I know your family will enjoy the added space and shelter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Welcome to yet another California member - lots of great year-around places to camp! We're off to the beach in January. We got our TT through Pan-Pacific (3 locations - Morgan Hill, French Camp, and Sacto) with Costco pricing - and are very happy with both our Jayco and the service from our dealer.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Welcome! Can't speak to the specific models you're looking at, but IMO you can't go wrong with Jayco. We're on our second Jayco and, other than a few minor issues (broken shade, etc.) have had no problems at all.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

As another Sacramento area (Roseville) soon to be Jayco owner (pick it up 1/4) I spent a lot of time looking around, the Jayco dealer in Sac, RV's Of Sacramento, sort of gave me bad vibes. Nothing specific but it felt to much like a used car lot.(high pressure) Besides they wouldn't deal on a 84K rig. There are plenty of Jayco trailers at the CampingWorld RV sales in Roseville on Orlando Dr, and they are nice folks. I saved 6K by using them. Whatever you decide, both welcome, and Go Jayco!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

Thanks, JesseS. I got the same vibe from rvs of sac and thought about driving up to yuba city where there's another jayco dealer. I didn't know camping world had jayco's as well. I'll check them out.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by don m View Post
Thanks, JesseS. I got the same vibe from rvs of sac and thought about driving up to yuba city where there's another jayco dealer. I didn't know camping world had jayco's as well. I'll check them out.
The Roseville CW is not allowed to sell Motorized units because of competition with the Jayco dealer in Sac. But they do have a good selection of TT'ers and such. I bought my Alante thru them but it is at a CW in Tucson and we decided to drive down and pick it up. One good thing about CW is they have 175 locations and you can get service at any of them.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #8

The Roseville CW does NOT have Jayco travel trailers. I've been there twice since Thanksgiving. They have some small Starcraft Launch models though. They just get a new line called Northland they seemed excited about.

I've been to RVs is Sacramento even more lately (looking at Jay Feather 26bhsw) and I actually like them so far but we have not talked numbers at all yet. If they don't move much off their prices I can go north an hour (Yuba City) or south 1 1/2 hours (Manteca) to other Jayco dealers.
coachtcardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

That's interesting, I was sure I saw some Jayco TT's at CW Roseville when I was there, I only live 2 miles from them and was stopping by often when I was still looking. RV's of Sacramento has a nice lot but rundown facilities, they heat their office with a space heater? Reggie, the new owner didn't want to move off of the $84K for the 26Y, got it from CW for $78K. Trish the sales rep was fine, and the tech guy knew his stuff (just back from factory training), but you got to go with your gut and the best price. Heck, CW even gave me full tanks, both fuel & propane, plus I like the network of service facilities.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #10
Site Team

CW's in my part of the country do not have a real good reputation for service/warranty work.

It's good to hear reports of that not being everywhere.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #11

I went in to CW in Roseville to check it out. Indeed, no Jayco's there, but I did have a good experience with the sales lady - Courtney. She wasn't at all too pushy and offered to let me check things out on my own if I wanted. Unfortunately, they didn't have a single 17' bunk style trailer like the jayco 154BH, but she said they are suppose to be getting in a coleman and starcraft ar-one version of it in the next few weeks. Doesn't sound the like baja or extreme style package will be easy to get in those brands, but at least I will be able to do some comparing and price matching. I also went back to rv's of sac to look at the 154 some more. Overall the same type of experience. I even got the "we won't service it if you don't buy it from us" speech. He started backing off of that a little but left it at "well, we pretty much just service what what we sell". That being said, they do sound very eager to offer up deals right now, so if I really want that jayco I should be able to get a good price in the next few months.

Anyways, I will feel a little better if I have a few models and dealers to compare and shop with.

Thanks,
Don
Old 12-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #12

I got that same speech, and he said he would get the coach in ASAP if it needed warranty service, I pointed out to him that in most cases if you needed work done it would be on the road somewhere hundreds of miles from Sacramento as the issues normally turn up on a trip, not sitting in your RV space at home. Sorry there were no Jayco's there, I must have been seeing things when I was there, and yes Courtney is a nice lady, easy to deal with and not pushy at all. Reggie at RV's of Sac was another matter.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by don m View Post
I even got the "we won't service it if you don't buy it from us" speech. He started backing off of that a little but left it at "well, we pretty much just service what what we sell".
We purchased our Jayco from Pan-Pacific RV in Morgan Hill/San Martin - due to competition turf, they can't "sell" Jaycos at their Sacramento or French Camp locations - but I suggest it is "worth a call" to talk to their service department ... and to perhaps even talk to their Morgan Hill/San Martin location about prices and have a 'local' pick-up at their other sites. BTW, we were very pleased with Pan-Pacific RV, Morgan Hill/San Martin - in regards to sales (purchased through Costco plan), service, and warranty!

Old 12-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

Thanks for the info. I've been into pan pacific here in sac a few times and liked working with Charles there. They don't have anything that suites my needs on this lot or on their website for all three locations, but maybe a call to that location will yield some different results.

Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:59 AM   #15

The CW here has been pretty good on servicing my other 2 coach's and I never had an issue with them, did have to wait a week for parts once but that's not their fault. I can't speak for others, I did have a house battery melt down out in Minnesota and the CW there changed it out in 30 minutes free of charge, which is fast enough for anybody. I do most all of my own work and accessory installs so only take it in for warranty service and tune ups.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #16

Welcome!

Just some food for thought, but have you considered one of the Hybrid TT's? In a given trailer length, you get a lot more of the floor space given over to living space since the bunks don't take away any living space. For our family of 4, having all that extra space is great in inclement weather, plus I like the sound of rain on the canvas over my head more than the sound on a hard shell roof.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:54 PM   #17

I guess I havn't been too into the hybrids because of the additional moving parts and more to go wrong with the canvas, etc.... Truth is though, I'm basing this all on zero experience. Maybe I'll check a few of them out. I have to admit though, the kids liked the bunks when we looked in some of them. They each had their own little space. I guess that will wear off when they get a little older, but it's not like the same trailer will fit our needs forever. Thanks for the input on the hybrid though.

--Don
Old 12-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Just some food for thought, but have you considered one of the Hybrid TT's?
Although we didn't have a hybrid - we did start out with Coleman Tent Trailers (owned two of them, still own the 2nd one). Like DonM, we live in California where one camps year-around ~ however the canvas aspect doesn't regulate the temperature meaning heat loss with the furnace blasting or sweltering on the hotter days. It was my griping that caused us to move-up from tents to the tent trailer (finally refused to continue sleeping on the ground with the Samoyeds nesting on my sleeping bag) and again from the tent-trailer to the travel trailer (finally refused to continue suffering temperature extremes); now I'm the Happy Camper!