Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Coupling lock issues

I recently purchased a 2000 Jayco Eagle 14SO pop-up trailer and want to protect it from theft from my driveway. I purchased a Gorilla Guard #63228 2" coupling lock from Amazon. It slides on, but something within the trailer coupler is preventing the lock from actually locking. Camping World had no clue and the 2" locks they sell don't even lock a 2" coupler. Does anyone out there know of a lock that would work, or can offer any suggestions? Thanks.
johnjoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #2

I've no experience with the Gorilla Guard so I can't help you there but when I owned a small pop-up, I used a small lock to prevent the trigger from being released.

Master Lock Trigger Style Coupler Lock for 1-7/8" and 2" Couplers Master Lock Locks 605DAT

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

This is the lock I use. They have videos on their website that show many of the locks you see on store shelves being quickly defeated.

https://www.megahitchlock.com
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

I like Blaylock's line of coupler locks...

Retail | Blaylock American Metal | Hose Tube Doors, Thief Hatches, Coupler Locks
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

What type of coupler do you have? Trigger latch, A Frame, Flat mount?

It could be the flange lip on the coupler sticks out a shade to much to allow the pin to go up inside.

You are opening the pin and taking the key out before installing the lock right?

You may look into the groove that slides over the coupler lip on the lock and make sure it is clear and/or file it out a little, or grind the lip of the couple down just a bit, perhaps a 32nd of an inch...

Realistically, any couple lock will work well. They keep the honest man honest. If someone really want to steel a TT, they will get it. Even with a coupler lock in place. I have heard of guys utilizing chains and giant tow hooks.

I made my own coupler lock of sorts. I cut off the treads on a 2 inch ball and put that up inside the coupler, then I use a specific type of padlock instead of a safety pin on the latch. This way when its parked, the latch is locked and can't be opened, and when its connected to my truck the latch is locked and cant be open until I unlock it. Like I said though, if someone really wants it they will just cut the lock.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Simply drilling out the keyhole will defeat many of these locks.

I had one rust up and couldn't turn the cylinder. 2 days worth of PBlaster was shrugged off, but 15-20 seconds of drilling and it was freed.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #7

Funny... I once had one of these Masterlocks and thought it was the cat's @ass....

That was until the cylinder lockset fell out in my hand while taking it off the trailer one day.

Personally, I think if they want it, they're gonna get it and all you can do is slow them down.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote