Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

DC power troubleshoot

Hello all - new member, it's great to be here. We have a 2014 Eagle 28BHBE unit and at start of season mistakenly crossed the pos/neg wires to the batteries, sparks etc ensued. Running a 2x6v system, both batteries are fully charged and electric lift works fine - it holds a charge under power as the lift runs a direct line to the batteries. AC also works fine under shore power, however, DC is not working under battery power.

I did replace the 40 amp fuses inside the unit, however, still no power so that did not seem to be the problem. The positive inline 30 amp fuse at the battery is not blown either.

All wiring is bolted down properly and everything was working fine at end of season last year. Your suggestions would be most helpful on how to troubleshoot! Is there another fuse I am not seeing or something else I can trace?

many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0104.JPG   IMG_0106.JPG   IMG_0107.JPG  
curtwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Does your converter output any voltage. You may have "fried" it. If you can get down to the Fidalgo Bay RV park this weekend I can troubleshoot it for you.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #3

thanks - where would I measure that and how can I access the converter?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #4

Your converter most likely has a reverse polarity fuse that is blown. Look for your fuse panel inside the trailer (near floor level on most rigs)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #5

yes that was my thought as well but have changed both 40 amp reverse polarity fuses with no success
Old 05-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

I am looking at your battery picture and can't tell about your connections. If you have two 6-volt batteries, I don't see a large conductor connecting the negative of one battery to the positive of the other. Maybe it is just out of view. Nothing should be connected to those two terminals except the cable connecting the two batteries together.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

yes thanks it's a 2 x 6 volt battery setup (12 volt total), the red wire in the picture runs from the negative lead on battery #1 to the positive lead on battery #2. Battery #1 had the main positive lead from the rig, while battery #2 has the primary negative ground wire. That setup powers the electric lift so I know I am getting 12+ volts out of it ..
Old 05-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #8

Silly question, but have you checked all of your other 12V fuses on the panel.

I have heard on some rigs there is a 30 amp fuse behind or near the battery box that is difficult to locate for some. Anything in that location if you trace your 12V wire from the battery back?
Old 05-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #9

no ... maybe I should!
Old 05-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtwalker View Post
no ... maybe I should!
I was doing some work on my storage led lights and grounded on out by accident. Went inside found the blown fuse and replaced it. Then I was getting all kinds of weird things happening. Figured I'd really messed things up. Turns out that particular circuit was wired across several fuses. All of which were blown. It affected things like my water pump and my radio. One would work but then turn the other off. In my frustration I pulled every fuse and found the other two that were blown. replaced them and all back to normal. Don't understand how the rig was wired but I suspect it had a little to do with the polarity of the led lights and some backfeeding going on.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

Also, look under that little red cover behind your battery. I'm sure it's just a junction block, but there could be a blade fuse hiding under there.