Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Did it in alaska

Hello all,
It's been 10 years since I last owned a trailer. Even then it was a Komfort Lite 5er, and prior to that was a tent trailer. We live in Eagle River, Alaska. We are avid hunting, fishing, and general outdoors kind of people. We met several years ago and are finally taking the plunge and getting married this coming June. We have been looking for some sort of rig to go camping, hunting and fishing with for over a year now. Originally, we were fixating on a cabover camper, something like the popup Palomino variety because of our philosophy of enjoying getting away and getting into the back country and not needing all the amenities. That attitude changed a little to a regular cabover camper last winter. We really weren't looking at trailers because of perceived limitations based on my past experiences (all the trailers I have owned lacked one important detail if you like to get away from the beaten path to hunt and fish; ground clearance. Thusly, I have had my experiences with modifications such as lift kits and tank repairs and tank dump repairs, and stabilizer jack replacements.) Well, after a trip last June to California for my oldest son's HS graduation and using my fathers Tango Lite we came back and started looking at TT's.
We have scoured craigslist and looked through RV dealerships. We couldn't stand feeling like prey to the salesmen at some of them. Finally, the guys at ABC RV Sales in Anchorage, AK, lets us come in and with absolutely no pressure, let us wander and look at what they had. After walking through several models we stepped into a 2015 White Hawk 25BHS. We knew that was the one. Two weeks later, at the end of January we did it in Alaska, papers signed, a complete walk through and test of every system with the dealer we towed our brand new still winterized TT home and parked it. Since then we have been filling it with all our standard camping gear, and outfitting it, getting ready for the day when we will take it back to the dealership where they will de winterize it for free, and we can make out first outting. Things I am happy to see; finally a trailer built with plenty of ground clearance, and tanks and drains in locations where they will not be hit and be broken or torn off on things the size of large speed bumps.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Welcome!!
Also matured from tent to tent-trailer to TT and LOVE the WH - great floor plan for us; outdoor kitchen is DH turf; seldom do we have guests needing the bunks so it makes great storage in the interim. To expand the functionality of the entertainment center, check into Sterilite Large Flip Top Storage Boxes (13.1x7.6x4.5). Magma 10 Piece Gourmet Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware Set fits perfectly into cabinet left of microwave. DH added toggle to shower hose, is in the process of installing a better lav faucet, and will switch-out 32" TV for a 12-volt one once it arrives. Have fun and feel free to ask for hints!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Sweet deal! I hope the trailer works for you. We ordered ours at the end of January and can't wait for it!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Thanks Hattie,
We are old hold outs, we use cast iron cook ware. Both camping and in the house. I have noticed some small differences in building depending on locations. Example, according to all options and standards, my TT should have the slam latches for the front storage and a magnetic panel open on the outdoor kitchen. However, it has the little T-bar latch hold for the outdoor kitchen door panel, and standard latches for the front storage. Both out indoor and outdoor shower have toggles on the shower handles. We agree with the lav faucet, we will be installing one with a better reach out over the sink. As well, we are already looking at a 12 volt 32" TV. I think it will be well worth the money. Though I still have my Makita 5500 watt generator, so I am never short on power. Finally, I am placing a rubber matted outdoor carpet in the front pass through storage.

As for hints. Expanding the functionality of the entertainment center utilizing the Sterilite storage boxes. Have you looked into any other types of storage boxes for the other areas?

I spent 26 years in the Marine Corps and got used to having all my gear ready at all times. All my previous tent camping gear was in easy to load and store waterproof and airtight storage containers. This allowed me to load for a camping trip on a moments notice. So I am looking at placing all our gear in the TT with the same concept. A container for all purposes that will fit into the storage compartments.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #5

DH was Army - so know the drill, all we pack is food and clothing and dog ~ 15 minutes at the most and we're good-to-go. Yes on storage boxes everywhere (for clothes above bed and in closet, bath/shower "stuff", lid-tubs in storage lockers with cleaning, plumbing, electrical, tool bits-and-pieces). Same on our latches, 2-Hondas for us, and when hook-ups - we bring a water-softener. Want [1] 32-gal waste tote and effective (external) way to transport it (see posts) and [2] an 'out of the way charging dock shelf' (for phones, tablets, hotspot) ~ wish there was a 6"-deep drop-shelf over foot of bed. BTW, bought full queen topper that fits perfectly!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #6

Hello and welcome. We were in Eagle River a few years ago, passing through.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Welcome! I just moved to Oklahoma from Eagle River a little over a year ago (just sold my house last week!). Was there 7 years with 15 total in Alaska. I miss it every day, well not as much in the winter, LOL. Enjoy your new tt!
okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote