Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #1

"Don't Buy an RV"

http://youtu.be/IP_u2JR51_Y
I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this informative video on knowing what you may be getting yourself into when you buy an RV.
Not that this would ever stop me, but it was a good watch
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
http://youtu.be/ip_u2jr51_y
i apologize if this is the wrong place to put this informative video on knowing what you may be getting yourself into when you buy an rv.
Not that this would ever stop me, but it was a good watch
oh-em-gee!!
Lynnmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:51 PM   #3

I know it’s frustrating to have issues with a new RV but it’s not across the board with Jayco. We’ve had one issue with our 2021 and that was the water pump failing. We absolutely love our Jayco.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 06:04 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlejm1 View Post
Yes, Jayco is priced cheaper than other RVs and there’s a reason for it. POOR QUALITY! Two years ago I bought a new 2021 Jayco Alante 29F. Problems fro day one! And repeat problems that even the dealer had troubles fixing. The quality of construction and materials is terrible. I recommend if you’re considering a Jayco product, spend a bit more money and get out of the bottom class of RVs, which definitely includes Jayco.

Unless you have owned others you really cannot make comparison statements. Not that what you are saying is wrong, just lack of knowledge by use and ownership makes one an uneducated evaluator. Nothing personal but having owned four different brands over the years I found that one is not much better over the other. Pretty much all a slapped together with little regard to workmanship.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:42 AM   #5

Bitter pill to swallow when you realize your dealer sucks. All dealers are not created equal. You need to spend as much time researching a dealer as you do deciding which rig is right for you. Maybe more.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 04:50 AM   #6

Our '22 was pre-owned. We see why the previous owners traded it so quickly. It's plagued with issues. I've had to rewire much of the trailer (outlets, lights, and exterior lighting), replace water lines, rebuild the furnace holding tank, and fix the brakes. If we weren't upside down on our loan, I'd kick it to the curb and start again.

BUT, it's a mobile apartment on wheels, and thankfully most of the stuff is fixable. I've learned a lot in my short ownership. RV's are definitely NOT constructed well from the factory, and the forums and YouTube videos have taught me a bunch about ownership and self maintenance.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:10 AM   #7

If you want to be a smart RV buyer spend as much time, if not more shopping for a good dealer. All RVs are prone to have problems.
I also believe if you are not capable of making small repairs yourself you will never be happy with any RV.
boxerrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Unless you have owned others you really cannot make comparison statements. Not that what you are saying is wrong, just lack of knowledge by use and ownership makes one an uneducated evaluator. Nothing personal but having owned four different brands over the years I found that one is not much better over the other. Pretty much all a slapped together with little regard to workmanship.
This is an interesting thread even though we have been discussing the issue many times over the years (more so as quality has gotten worse). CAG's bottom-line comment sums it all up in one sentence; the attorney in the video agrees based on client issues and explains why it's happening.

As far as dealers are concerned most of their managers are not really managing anything - they're messengers. When dealers were small and family owned, they cared for their customers. Now, the "boss" is often times (usually) states away and doesn't care about you.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
This is an interesting thread even though we have been discussing the issue many times over the years (more so as quality has gotten worse). CAG's bottom-line comment sums it all up in one sentence; the attorney in the video agrees based on client issues and explains why it's happening.

As far as dealers are concerned most of their managers are not really managing anything - they're messengers. When dealers were small and family owned, they cared for their customers. Now, the "boss" is often times (usually) states away and doesn't care about you.
For sure! Quality has definitely gotten way worse. There used to be brands that we could swear by in quality, but those brands have been purchased by sub par brands, and consequently the quality that was once there is no longer.

Dealers are the worst! I've had the worst luck with getting warranty work done on my RV, so I've been forced to do much of the work myself. When we pay good money for crummy products, it just puts a bad taste in our mouths for enjoying the RVing experience.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:29 AM   #10

I guess there is something to be said about a lawyer who has to resort to Youtube videos at some point in his career. Don't get me wrong, Steve Lehto is an entertaining guy and likely was / is a pretty successful lawyer but his commentary is always pretty benign and overly broad.

He has "friends" that have successfully won cases for RV owners that felt cheated but he admits they are few and far between. He is a great car guy and does some impressive reporting on those types of issues.

Many of us know that the RV industry is not heavily regulated or regulated at all in some cases. We see way too many people crying after they fall prey to the sharks that call themselves dealers and salespeople. They feel they were ripped off, paid too much, have issues and problems with the unit they bought etc. Most of the time this comes from not reading the contract you are signing, not doing enough or proper research on the dealer / manufacturer you are buying from, and in general a lack of understanding.

In a perfect world, all dealers and salespeople would be angelic, open , honest and upfront but in the real world that's not how it is.

Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware could not be more true when buying an RV. We need to get back to a place where personal responsibility for the decisions we make is the norm.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerrox View Post
If you want to be a smart RV buyer spend as much time, if not more shopping for a good dealer. All RVs are prone to have problems.
I also believe if you are not capable of making small repairs yourself you will never be happy with any RV.
I totally agree that you need to have some mechanical ability and smart enough to make your own basic repairs. For example, bought a Trail Cruiser a few years ago, I could tell it had had a couple of blowouts, messing up the wheel wells, but knew I could fix 'em, price was right. As we were leaving with the "new" TT I asked him what tire pressure did he carry in the tires, he said 35 lbs. No wonder he had two blowouts. He had no idea what the pressure should be. He shouldn't have been towing at all.
LVJJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 07:56 PM   #12

How would like to be the owner of a 2023 Ford F-150 Electric Truck that cost you $$ 92,000 and can not drive,use it because Ford says it “Might catch Fire” . But they say they are working on “Fix” for this problem, just be “Calm “and they will fix your truck. Did I mention it only has 307 miles on it . The NTSB says you have give them a chance to fix it. I told Ford Motor Credit to come get, they said I still owe the $$ money on the loan. I told them good luck in collecting it. Good thing I did not put any down payment on it when I bought it….First payment is due in November..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJJJ View Post
I totally agree that you need to have some mechanical ability and smart enough to make your own basic repairs. For example, bought a Trail Cruiser a few years ago, I could tell it had had a couple of blowouts, messing up the wheel wells, but knew I could fix 'em, price was right. As we were leaving with the "new" TT I asked him what tire pressure did he carry in the tires, he said 35 lbs. No wonder he had two blowouts. He had no idea what the pressure should be. He shouldn't have been towing at all.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed to have nice things. Lol

That’s crazy.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:23 PM   #14

I actually enjoy fixing things, searching out the problem, trouble shooting, learning new skills etc. Is it weird that I pretty much KNOW my new Jayco 22rb will very likely break, sooner than later and that I feel somewhat confident about being able to at least trouble shoot issues. I know there is the warranty period where a dealer is supposed to do the work, etc. etc but I'm confident I won't feel hopeless/helpless when a problem comes along. It isn't right that we pay a lot of money for something that could be so potentially frustrating, but we make our choice to take that chance, so I try to stay optimistic that I'll be able to handle whatever comes my way.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
I actually enjoy fixing things, searching out the problem, trouble shooting, learning new skills etc. Is it weird that I pretty much KNOW my new Jayco 22rb will very likely break, sooner than later and that I feel somewhat confident about being able to at least trouble shoot issues. I know there is the warranty period where a dealer is supposed to do the work, etc. etc but I'm confident I won't feel hopeless/helpless when a problem comes along. It isn't right that we pay a lot of money for something that could be so potentially frustrating, but we make our choice to take that chance, so I try to stay optimistic that I'll be able to handle whatever comes my way.
Nice attitude, JKyle!

I was active with a labor union in the ’70’s and my big concerns were about consumerism. In essence, don’t spend your hard earned money on junk products. I was single at the time. A friend and co-worker, and father of 4, told me he had to buy what was available and affordable or his kids wouldn’t have Christmas gifts. I got the message.

I still feel the same way 50+ years later, and will likely never drop the "quality" issue. In addition to beating-it-up on RV forums, I call the builders. (I’m careful to never make the person who answers the phone be responsible for the industry.)

Until our last purchase of a Winnebago towable, we owned all Jaycos, and will likely own another one down the line. After one of my "new owner" complaints to the staff (a manager) at Winnebago CS, she explained they were aware of customer dis-satisfaction with RV manufacturers and problems with dealers. It was a soft answer, but I didn’t expect any better.

All that said, I agree with your post. I’m going to buy an RV if I want to, and enjoy it to the extent I can. I think the trick is to focus on the "recreational" outlook and disregard the other "stuff".

P.S. On the other hand, this needs to be said because one size does not fit all: The above message is more likely to be the attitude of small and mid-sized owners. If you spend $200k and up for a big 5th wheel or MH and you can’t use it, you’re going to be upset and you have a right to be.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:29 PM   #16

It is sad. When we bought our first trailer we visited dealers all over. We purchased from one over an hour away because they had 28 service bays, prioritized their customers snd had good reviews for service. After we put fown our deposit I was measuring something and the worker who washed the units and moved them saw me. He took time out of his day to show me the trailer and taught me what to watch for in the first 60 days. Will buy from them again.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
I'm the same which is why I have five 10-25 year old vehicles (and fix the least difficult to do so). However my wife does not share that mindset and I don't like troubleshooting on the side of the road with her proverbially tapping her foot.

I don't know about pre vs post covid quality or between brands but one thing I have read is that any new RV will have issues because no matter how well you build, put that thing in a 60+ mph wind and bounce it around like a paint shaker and stuff will break. Part of the reason we opted for a 5 year old model instead of new: someone else already did the literal shakedown.

I will temper that with having been watching some videos about dropping the belly-pan and what's behind the coroplast is just embarassing (for the mfr)
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:16 PM   #18

Russo, I’m absolutely in agreement with you ‘one size does not fit all’ comment. The uncertainty and inconvenience of any new RV is unnerving for anyone spending their hard earned money. I’d imagine especially those people who spend a SIGNIFICANT chunk of $ on the purchase of large, expensive units with intention of full time living, only to face the pitfalls of poor manufacturing.

I agree, travel trailers are big rigid boxes subjected to travel movements that can cause problems, but that reality is where engineers should be designing the units to be able to retain integrity with ‘reasonable’ foreseen minor problems despite the harsh travel conditions for a trailer. I hope manufacturing at least stabilizes and shows improvement over the years to come.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote