Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

First time pop-up owners: Jayco 1206!

Lots of great info on this site!! Some of you are SO experienced--it is a bit intimidating.

My partner and I are picking up our very first pop up camper this weekend--the 1206 (without the bathroom option--we wanted the extra storage).

We have two kids (8 and 10), and are ALL excited to start going on little road trips this summer. The biggest one is a week off-grid in August (no electricity/water hook-up that week), though that one is just grown-ups.

Looking forward to reading these forums and soaking in all of the knowledge.

One question:
If you were about to pick up your very first pop up and were new to this whole world, what questions would you ask the dealer when you get the demo?? I'm afraid I don't even know what to ask!

Thanks in advance!!
JAK
JAKtheJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum JAK. LOL, all of us were a bit intimidated when first starting out in the rv world! Even some of us rv "veterans" lack experience in some aspect or other. Invariably we use this forum to help us out as we aren't experienced in everything
Copy and take this PDI with you. Hope it helps. Congrats on the new tt!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Actually, google "pdi + pop-ups" or tent-trailers or etc. You want to try "pre-delivery inspection" maybe. There may be more info pertinent to a pop-up that way
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Hey Jak, do not be intimidated, pull up a chair and join in the fun. Even the most experienced members here still have things to learn. Enjoy the new 1206!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKtheJayco View Post
Lots of great info on this site!! Some of you are SO experienced--it is a bit intimidating.

My partner and I are picking up our very first pop up camper this weekend--the 1206 (without the bathroom option--we wanted the extra storage).

We have two kids (8 and 10), and are ALL excited to start going on little road trips this summer. The biggest one is a week off-grid in August (no electricity/water hook-up that week), though that one is just grown-ups.

Looking forward to reading these forums and soaking in all of the knowledge.

One question:
If you were about to pick up your very first pop up and were new to this whole world, what questions would you ask the dealer when you get the demo?? I'm afraid I don't even know what to ask!

Thanks in advance!!
JAK
Welcome aboard. My wife and I have been RVing for more than 30 years, everything from very small to very large 5th wheel and we are still learning. You can get some good (and maybe sometime some not so good) info from this site and others.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #6

Congrats on your 1206 JAK and welcome to the forum. A week off the grid sounds great, not many people could handle that anymore.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #7

Congrats and you will enjoy every minute of it. It is all about having fun.Later ERnie
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #8

Welcome Jak-- After doing this wrong ,I guess I would ask what the sequence of setting up should be ie chalk, unhitch, leveling (front then back, or back then front) . Then when can you have the first beer.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

Wow--great info and links. Ahhh, when to have the first beer. Wouldn't have thought of that.

Thanks, all!!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #10

At the risk of offending others, check out popupportal.com. The folks over there are amazing and the ingenious ideas that get put out are nothing short of astounding Not that this site isn't fantastic, but I started over there when I had a PUP. Enjoy the new toy.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #11

Hey Jak! Welcome....sounds like you are having fun!

Quote:
At the risk of offending others, check out popupportal.com
Not offensive at all. We should be sharing other sites with good info!

Quote:
Not that this site isn't fantastic
True

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #12

Popupportal has been a wealth of information! Thanks to those who suggested it.

We are going to pick up the camper (again!) this weekend, as it sadly broke the first time we went to use it so we had to bring it back. One of the bunk ends wound up going off the track. We banged it back into place so we could close it up to bring it back, but it needed to be looked at. It was covered under warranty, and will be replaced someday but JAyco has a lot of need for this track right now (telling me it's a more global problem!). It looks iffy as to whether or not we'll get it fixed before our week off grid in early August. We are told we can still use it as is, but I'm less convinced than my partner is. She's optimistic that we can still use it...

So, that part was a bummer, but for the few days that we had it set up in our driveway we loved it!!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #13

Hey JAK, I just sold my pop up and there are two add on features you should consider. First is a vent cover so you can keep the fan going on rainy days to clear the muggy air. The other is a screen room. I can't tell you how nice it was to keep our table and stove out of the rain but still out doors. It is just like adding an 8'X8' room to your trailer.

Enjoy your summer.
Curt Discovery Brake Controller

Previous Trailer:
2008 Viking 1906UD Tent Trailer (2009-2011)
bender031177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #14

bender: We have the screen room, and love it already. Good suggestion. We don't have an air conditioner though--is that where the vent cover fan you're talking about would go?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #15

JAK,

I believe Bender was referring to the covers that can be installed over the crank-up vents. These are often already installed, or added as a dealer option. Our TT has Maxxair, which seems to be a popular brand. Here's a link: http://www.maxxair.com/standard-maxxair.html

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Maxxair or any RV product manufacturer or seller.

-Scott
Burnsville, NC

2007 Eagle 314BHDS
Rivermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #16

Nothing to do with PDI, but take a look at the site [url]www.popupgizmos.com. They sell insulating covers for over the canvas bed ends that keep the trailer cool during the day and warm during the night. They also reduce condensation inside the bed ends and my favorite feature is that they totally protect your canvas from tree sap stains. One of the best accessory investments we have made for our new hybrid.. They are very reasonably priced too.
3Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote