Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

Freezing protection

It is starting to get cold here in Oregon and I want to use the RV for a trip in three weeks. Will it be safe from freezing if I put a space heater inside set at 55 degrees?
The outside temperature will not be below 30 degrees at any time during this period.
redbobfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

I`ve done this myself before when I did not want to winterize yet. I put a 1500 watt electric heater in the TT when it got cold at night, turned it down low around 50 degrees or so, opened up the cabinets so the warmth could get to the plumbing. I had temps much lower then 30 outside so I say you will be just fine.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #3

19 degrees and no freezing problems

You were right! I had the ceramic heater at about 50 degrees and it held the temperature very well. .
B
redbobfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Yeah, I had to turn mine on for the first time last night. After another outing or two the dreaded W word is looming- Winterizing!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #5

Yes you should be fine but I would drain all the tanks and low point drains too.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #6

Unknown to some, the plastic piping under the Jayco floor is poorly insulated. In my mind, Fibreglass at 1/2" thickness does nothing. Thus, assume NO insulation around its under floor (between its 2x2 floor boards) piping, its ABS discharge pipes and around its hot water heating system.

For pictures, surf:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2054.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2048.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2056.jpg

Even the gooseneck under the bathtub has very little insulation. IMO, a heater inside the TT cannot properly heat "below its floor" and "inner storage compartment" pipes. Even setting heater to 75 F, I bet those under floor items are still at freezing temps (when outside temps drop below freezing).

Within this in mind, I would "winterize" the TT when its temps drop below freezing. Its plastic pipes and joints cannot take freezing abuse. The above pictures are proof...

Hope this helps...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
Unknown to some, the plastic piping under the Jayco floor is poorly insulated. In my mind, Fibreglass at 1/2" thickness does nothing. Thus, assume NO insulation around its under floor (between its 2x2 floor boards) piping, its ABS discharge pipes and around its hot water heating system.

For pictures, surf:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2054.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2048.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_2056.jpg

Even the gooseneck under the bathtub has very little insulation. IMO, a heater inside the TT cannot properly heat "below its floor" and "inner storage compartment" pipes. Even setting heater to 75 F, I bet those under floor items are still at freezing temps (when outside temps drop below freezing).

Within this in mind, I would "winterize" the TT when its temps drop below freezing. Its plastic pipes and joints cannot take freezing abuse. The above pictures are proof...

Hope this helps...

I see your point on that particular trailer. With mine all the freshwater lines are inside the trailer on the TOP of the floor with the exception of the low point drains, outside shower, and the outside of the water heater, which I drain. The holding tanks I keep almost empty but add a small amount of RV antifreeze into. By heating the inside on cold nights this allows me to use the trailer a few more times without winterizing the fresh water system. If I thought it was going to be brutally cold I would probably just go ahead and winterize like you say and then dewinterize when I wanted to use it again to be safe. But with temps in the mid 20`s to low 30`s there is no issue. With the trailer in the picture I would be concerned on a hard freezing night and I agree a heater inside would not be enough.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #8

Your "only inside" piping / wiring reminded me of my previous 1993 19ft Prowler TT. It had NO slide, NO under belly insulation but all of its electrical, plumbing and even brake duplex wiring were "inside" its chassis. At times, you'd think a small candle could heat its insides. That's how air tight and "heat containment" efficient its design was. For its simplicity and having its many services lines "inside", I loved its design. And it didn't need any insulation under its underbelly - because it used realy 3/4" plywood and real "solid" support beams. Old technology design that should still be used today. Especially on my current 2006 Jayco FBS. Especially when it comes to freeze protection needs....

Regardless if 5er, TT or HTT, guess freeze protection does boil down to each chassis "design" and how its piping is routed.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote