Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #1

Greetings from a new member in Western New York

Greetings all!

I have just joined the Forum, hope to be the proud owner of a Jayflight TT soon. I live outside of Buffalo, NY. We are planning a cross country adventure next Spring and are looking at either the Jayflight 26 BH or the 28 BHS. My Tow Vehicle is a 2004 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
GIFCo147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Rochester. Lots of good info here, I'm sure someone will give you their opinions on those 2 trls. I have an ultra lite so can't help you much.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF Gifco147! Will you be purchasing a new Jay Flight? The 28' has more counter space due to the L-shaped kitchen. As for towing, others will chime in on that. But, see our signi below. We have the same floorplan as yours and the set-up for ours handles well (our year 29bhs had a heavier tongue weight so that was the only downside). Let us know how it goes
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Welcome from Northwest Indiana. How's the weather in your part of the country?
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

Welcome to the JOF. Keep us posted on your Jayco choice and be sure to ask questions. The JOF has very helpful and experienced members.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsuduke View Post
Welcome to the forum from Rochester. Lots of good info here, I'm sure someone will give you their opinions on those 2 trls. I have an ultra lite so can't help you much.
Thanks! I get out to Rochester frequently, as I have family there. I am also excited that Buffalo will be getting a Dinosaur Barbecue this Spring!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Welcome to the JOF Gifco147! Will you be purchasing a new Jay Flight? The 28' has more counter space due to the L-shaped kitchen. As for towing, others will chime in on that. But, see our signi below. We have the same floorplan as yours and the set-up for ours handles well (our year 29bhs had a heavier tongue weight so that was the only downside). Let us know how it goes
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am looking at a new Travel Trailer, and the top contenders at this point are the 26BH or the 28BHS. My wife and I have two boys, ages 10 and 12. We are boaters also, so we are used to living "small". The simplicity of the 26BH appeals to me. I always worry that systems (like the slide) will fail. On the other hand, I like the counter space and roominess of the 28BHS. I wish the slide would even "slide out" a bit more!

I am optimistic that the Avalanche is up to the task. I am looking to add a heavy duty transmission cooler and brakes to the Av. I am talking to my mechanic about mods this week. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. We are looking to put some miles on this next year, going out to the west coast and back.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fochman View Post
Welcome from Northwest Indiana. How's the weather in your part of the country?
Hi! We are in the midst of an odd weather pattern this week. It's been 50 degrees here during the day, but tonight the cold front moves in, and snow is in the forecast. Lake Effect Storms, here we come!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Welcome to the JOF. Keep us posted on your Jayco choice and be sure to ask questions. The JOF has very helpful and experienced members.
Thanks for the welcoming words. I have been on the site for a month, and I am amazed by the helpful advise that is offered. I will keep you up to date on my TT Purchasing "Journey".
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum, I have lots of family in Buffalo. Good luck with the Lake Effect!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #11

Hi GIFco147, and welcome!

So, you're near Buffalo. If I was near Buffalo, one of my first outings would be to Four Mile Creek SP. (I'll bet you're familiar with it.) We made a Niagara Falls / Canada trip last year and stayed there. We had one of the sites on the shore of Lake Ontario (had to make the reservation 9 months in advance) and it ranks as one of the really great trips we have made. We liked it so much we plan to go back, but there are some other places we want to experience first.

I hope you will enjoy your new TT, and it sounds like you already have a pretty full scheduled planned.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #12

Hello from another Buffalonian (Lockport to be exact).

I can't specifically comment on your situation as I have a Grayhawk 31SS, but wanted to say Hi and hope you enjoy some of the great parks we have here in Western New York.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #13

Like I said lots of great people here, I think the bunkhouse is a wise choice, I have 2 kids a boy 12 and a girl 8 the bunks in my 228 work awesome for them. I had a few issues when we looked for ours, first I'm 6ft 6 so anything with a wall near the end of the bed was out automatically, I also knew this would be the trailer I would have for many years to come, I'm not an upgrade every so often kind of guy. My wife wanted a bunkhouse , and I had an SUV with a lower tow rating that put me into the ultralites. So what I did was get what I figured would work for me now and down the road, its big enough to be comfy if we get stuck inside in the rain, but small and light enough for me to tow, I chose no slides because of the time I would keep it and I got the most of the things I figured I'd regret not buying later on. So I got my 228 with all the options except the aluminum rims and the power tongue jack ( my one regret, and a Christmas present this year). Just choose what you think you will keep you happy for as long as you are going to keep it. You have more options based on what you can tow with your Avvy but the concept remains the same in my opinion.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Site Team

Welcome to the group!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote