Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Hello form New Hampshire

Hello to all!
I just bought a nightmare 2000 Jayco Qwest 265B! It all looked great until the next morning after we got her home. The day we bought it was a cold wet miserable day. The camper was located in Vermont. We spent all winter watching campers with bunk houses come and go on Craigs List. So when taxes came in, we were ready to move. We had been watching this one camper for about a month or so and didnt want to let this one slip away. Wish it did!

We did our normal walk through the camper and walk around the exterior. Again, with it pouring out, I didn't spend much time out there but made sure to look for obvious defects. It didnt have a ladder on the rear so there was no quick roof access. Everything from ground level looked real clean in and out. I was ready to hook and go at this point.

Got it home after a hell ride in the mountains with zero visibility at times and parked it in the driveway, said I"ll give it a through inspection in the AM. Morning came and my wife an I went right to work. The floor was a bit worn so we wanted to rip it up and replace it. We got to the rear of the camper where the bathroom and utility closet were. I was pulling the floor in the closet up when my scrapper went through the sub-floor!! The rot in the closet was about 8" in diameter and went right to the insulation. Im not sure it this was due to the flap missing on the shore line power cover missing, but seems like someone would have noticed that before it got this bad. I grabbed a ladder and went to the roof and found a mess! Many failed attempts to seal the roof with every wrong type of caulking. The seam was where the roof meets the rear wall of the camper. My guess is the water followed the back corner down and settled under the closet. Back in the closet, I figured if the water soaked that insulation, the rest of the insulation under the camper is soaked too. It was! I cut open as neat as possible every bay under the camper and pulled out 120 lbs of frozen insulation. The supports under the sub-floor (other tahn near the closet) were not rotted!

I wanted to drive the 5th wheel right back to vermont and back it right through this guys front door! I was a bit pi**ed to say the least. I could never do this to another human nevermind another family!

I have a new roof on its way. All of the seam caps are coming off and will get new butyl tape. I will then replace all of the insulation in the under belly. I will then repair all of the Darco wrap under the camper (special tape made specifically for Darco). And I will get the most out of one of the worst investments I've ever made.

Other than that, this is my second Jayco. My first was my 98 Jayoc Eagle 12 SO. Loved it but weather never cooperated with me. Ive been married for 13 years and have two children, My son is 4 and my daughter is 8 going on 18. I to the camper with my 2012 Dodge Ram quad cab Cummins.

Let the games begin-Jarrod
J-Rod2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. It seems clear the previous owner was lax on maintenance. Sorry to hear about the problems, this underscores why a thorough inspection of a used unit is a must, and preferably in good weather so you can take your time. Good luck with the repairs, the forum members are here to help any way they can!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

Thank you Crabs. I'm hoping to take some pics along the way for documentaion. My first camper purchase was a very detailed walk through and weather was beautiful. Never again will something like this happen. Lifes lessons never cease!!
K1LVA
:facepalm:
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Sorry to hear of all the problems. I don't suppose there is any chance that you could go back to the previous owner, tell him the problems you found that he should have known about but didn't divulge to you, and see if any adjustment could be agreed on ? Probably not, but would it be worth a try ?
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #5

The previous owner refuses to take my calls or respond to email. SCUM!
K1LVA
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod2012 View Post
The previous owner refuses to take my calls or respond to email. SCUM!
Wow, what a lowlife....that guy will have bad Karma now for sure!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #7

Sounds to me like he knew exactly what he was selling and what was wrong with it. Unfortunately, I guess you are stuck with the repairs. As Crabman said, what a lowlife. Hope you are successful with those repairs, and your trailer ends up better than new.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

Man, sorry to hear of your "new to you" tt wows, but otherwise welcome to the JOF Jarrod. Years ago when we started researching 'new' tt's on the rv forums out there at the time, was that if the tt/rv didn't come with a ladder... move on as the roof maintenance was more than likely never done. As it turned out, we wound up buying new, but definitely keep up with the roof maintanence. Hopefully the second owner of our tt will be happier than you. Crabby is right, if any new rv enthusiast's read this, hopefully they will learn from your misfortune and remember to still do a full PDI before walking away with it. Thanks for sharing your story Jarrod. Hope all is fixed and the new camping season will be safe and happy for you
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

Ouch sorry to hear some people don't care, what comes around goes around.
buffalobillsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Thanks to all. Temps are starting to rise here out of the freezing mark. My schedule has let me make some minor exterior repairs, basically all of the plastic exterior access covers, doors, vents...etc. I have some new venturi vents tops for the grey/black tanks, and new dual bottle propane change over valve. Now I need a warm place to store my camper for a day or two so I can coat my roof and replace all my seams. Thats my only hold up. Hope to see you out there!!!
K1LVA