Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
Welcome from western NY! The mods are the fun part. Just don't try to do "em all the first day!!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
Welcome and congrats on the new to you rig!!!

Make sure you get a good wdh (weight distribution hitch) w/ integrated away control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and Equal-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good for the money. The DC is a little more finicky to set up, and if the tw (tongue weight) changes a fair amount (empty fresh water tank vs full- if tank is in front of axles). The SC and 4 way are very similar. But the Reese hitch head (same for both models) does offer a little more fine tuning than the 4 way model. Can't go wrong with either of them though! Just make sure to get the correct rated bars for your loaded tw.

Verify you get all the paper work for the wdh!!! And even if the dealer sets it up, chances are you will need to re-adjust the wdh once you load the trailer up for a trip!!! Follow the links in my signature for a ton of info regarding the wdh!!!

If you don't have a factory brake controller, both the Prodigy P2 and P3 models are very good. I was going to replace our old time based model with a P2, but we bought a new truck with a factory controller!

Check the tires!!!!! Trailer tires have an average lifespan of 3-5yrs!!! Due to how little use they see. And run the tires at the max sidewall psi.

Along with every other appliance in the trailer, water pump, city water inlet, etc.... Make sure everything works as it should before signing the papers.

Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The mods are the fun part. Just don't try to do "em all the first day!!!
X2!!!! Been there, done that in a 2 week span trying to get our new rig ready for our big trip of the year!!! Definitely feel the pressure!!! Lol

Have fun!!!

Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
Thanks for the hitch info, came with Reese dual cam and new tires, u-tube has video on adjusting wdh I also search for all manuals on the camper and make hard copies

Bob Wms is offline   Reply With Quote