Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

Hello from Minnesota

The wife and I recently upgraded from a 2005 Jayco 1207 popup to a 2017 Jay Feather 25BH. We just picked up the new trailer in April and we took it out for a maiden voyage two weeks ago. The slideout sure makes camping more comfortable with 3 kids and a cocker spaniel. I am looking forward to learning much more about travel trailer camping from the fine folks on this site.

Tech 98
Husband, Wife, 3 Kids and a cocker spaniel
Tech98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #2

Congrats on your new popup; you and the family are in for a lot of camping fun.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #3

Hello from Minnesota

Congrats on the new camper. We upgraded to a camper with a slide last year and the comfort level definitely skyrocketed lol...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech98 View Post
The wife and I recently upgraded from a 2005 Jayco 1207 popup to a 2017 Jay Feather 25BH. We just picked up the new trailer in April and we took it out for a maiden voyage two weeks ago. The slideout sure makes camping more comfortable with 3 kids and a cocker spaniel. I am looking forward to learning much more about travel trailer camping from the fine folks on this site.

Tech 98
Nice choice in camper.

I grew up in Cottage Grove, after getting out of the military and getting married we lived there for a few years and my parents still live there. We are up in Grant now (outside Stillwater) but I still pass through the area as I work in Hastings.

Did you buy at the RV show at the MPLS Convention Center? If you went through the 25BH at the show, that is the one we ended up buying.

We finally got out on our first trip last weekend to Interstate Park on the WI side. We were planning on doing Lake Elmo for our first outing but it didn't work out that way.

I have already been busy with modifications.

PVC Pipe for sewer hose storage
Convert mouse hole over to twist lock
Progressive Industries EMS with remote display in outdoor kitchen
RetroPie for rainy weather entertainment

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

Sennister, we bought it about 1 week after the show as we were out of town during the show weekend. We liked the features that the 25BH had with a relatively low tow weight. I am very happy that we went with the Tri-fold sofa for the third kid to sleep on. My only complaint was the queen mattress, which will need to be upgraded. Our first trip went well and we have another planned for Memorial weekend. We also have a 9-day trip planned to the Black Hills in August.

Happy Camping,
Tech 98
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #6

Sounds like a nice upgrade, congrats and enjoy!

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #7

Congrats on the upgrade! Happy camping and and you'll be making great memories.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #8

Nice upgrade!

WE really enjoy the Black Hills area, just wish it was closer.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Sennister, we bought it about 1 week after the show as we were out of town during the show weekend. We liked the features that the 25BH had with a relatively low tow weight. I am very happy that we went with the Tri-fold sofa for the third kid to sleep on. My only complaint was the queen mattress, which will need to be upgraded. Our first trip went well and we have another planned for Memorial weekend. We also have a 9-day trip planned to the Black Hills in August.

Happy Camping,
Tech 98
We only have two kids so I don't know that we will ever use the Tri-fold as a bed but we went that route because I found it more comfortable than the jackknife when sitting in it as a sofa.

Yeah the mattress isn't that great. We went to Kohl's I think and bought a mattress topper that is one of those cooling ones. Figured it would be nice in the summer. It helps but the bed is still pretty firm. We have a sleep number bed in the house so without going with another one of those it will be hard to get the same sleep comfort. Not sure we want to drop $1K on a mattress. For now we are just going with the topper. The cooling side must work because this weekend it wasn't that cold out but the thermostat was set to 70 or so and heater was running here and there. I woke up in the morning thinking that we might be out of propane because it seemed cold in the camper. No it was fine I think the mattress topper just is drawing out the heat more which will be nice in the summer. We also added toppers for the kids in the bunks.

Oh that is another modification. We cut the curtain for the bunks so they each have their own like what we saw in some of the other campers. Not sure why they didn't do that from the factory as they do on some models but I know if one kid wants it closed the other will want it open.

For the most part we will be camping on family land south of Ellsworth which is along the Rush River. This is dry camping so generator and hauling water in and full tanks on the way out. Previously we had a small Duthcmen that we outgrew and got tired of constantly converting the dinette to bed and back every day because we didn't have enough beds for everyone. Other than that we hit a few other local parks. A favorite is St Croix Bluff which is really close to you. Dakota County also has some nice ones. Lebanon Hills is kind of a fun one to go to as it is right next to the Zoo so there are lots of day time activities but it is staying pretty close to home. We are planning a trip out west probably next summer. We don't have a lot of vacation this year because we have it allocated for a cruise in October. That is more of an issue on my wife's side as she only gets 2 weeks a year. Anything more she needs to take unpaid.

One thing to check on your camper is the lock on the outdoor kitchen. The locking arm was too short on mine and it seems that this is a problem with quite a few of them. I pointed it out to Hilltop when we did our PDI but not sure if they addressed it on others after we picked ours up. They swapped out the arm with a longer one on the spot so it is an easy fix. Without doing the the lock is worthless.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #10

Congratulations on your new RV. Another good place for you to camp at in MN is the Army Corps of Engineers campground up at Gull Lake, your kids can fish by the dam and the campground is nice. No place beats Minnesota for summer camping.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #11

Sennister, I found I am having the same problem with my lock on the outdoor kitchen. Thanks for the tip, I will talk with Hilltop about getting a new part from them.

Tech 98
Old 05-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Sennister, I found I am having the same problem with my lock on the outdoor kitchen. Thanks for the tip, I will talk with Hilltop about getting a new part from them.

Tech 98
Yeah, during PDI went around testing all the locks and noticed it would just pop open. I pushed on the door harder and latched it but same deal. I pointed it out to the tech doing the walk around and he said I wasn't pushing on the door while locking. I said that I was and told him to try it. He did the same thing I did 3-4 times and I pointed out the issue. He went and got the Service Manager who came out saying we were not pushing on the door hard enough. So he steps in trying 3-4 times and then I point out the issue. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a new lock and swapped out the locking arm with one a bit longer. Since it wasn't a lock replacement they are all still keyed the same. The other front storage bins were all fine. It is just this back one that has a design issue. It is possible that all 25BH campers that have the newer keyed alike system have this issue. They took photos of the latch and sent it to Jayco.

There was one other small issue with the trim on the outside of the slideout which they replaced before we left. I have yet to find anything else wrong with the camper. That was probably an isolated issue where the lock thing is more widespread.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #13
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote