Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Hello from Plano, Texas

Hello everyone, Mike from Plano, Texas here (Just north of Dallas). We are 10 year veteran tent campers, 1 year popup campers and just purchased a 2013 264BH.

Guess I'll give the somewhat long version here...

Wife and I are in our early 50's with twin 15 year old boys.. (I know, I know)... Tent camping just got to be more pain that what it was worth so we purchased a used popup last year and went out about 4 times. Not bad, easier than tent camping, but not by much... Decided after our last outing back in November that we just needed to move up to a hard shell.. As I am sure all of you here have done, tore through RVTrader, Craigslist, any dealer within 50 - 75 miles of here. Finally found the exact floor plan, we wanted and the price was right.

Now... in the middle of all of this (about 2 weeks before the actual purchase) whilst chatting with the dealer I mentioned that I have a 2008 Ram 1500 pickup but only have the 3.7 V-6.. You could hear him sucking air from the other end of the phone... So guess what??? I am now the proud owner of a 3rd vehicle, 2002 Yukon 5.7 vortex with tow package... That was fun spending an extra 7K that we were not ready for. Since my boys will be driving within the next year or so I figured that we were going to need a 3rd vehicle soon anyway so it made sense to go ahead and get it instead of trading in the truck for an upgraded model. (Plus my 2008 Dodge has a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty that they no longer even offer).. Didn't want to lose that... We decided on an SUV instead of a truck because we want to take the dog with us and the back of the SUV seemed a much safer and easier ride for her instead of trying to squeeze her in the truck with us.

Other than the obvious "Will have 1000 questions" I think I am ready to go. We are pretty much stocked up as far as supplies are concerned since we have been camping for so long. Of course I know that I will need an upgraded sewer hose, wheel chocks, extra water hoses, etc. etc.. Me and Amazon.com are about to become really good friends...

Anyway, I am excited to find this forum and the entire family can't wait for Spring to arrive for our first adventure in the new "to us" bunkhouse.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. In my 50`s with 3 boys aged 11-13 so I can relate to that (twins+1). I also had to buy a more capable tow vehicle, my 1500 was not enough. Ask any and all questions, friendly and patient folks here.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #3

Head on up the road towards Bonham TX and find the Bonham State park. Great small no-frills place to get away from the big city of Plano TX... Then you can go find another great city called GOBER TX haha... Wife has family from your neck of the woods and North Texas... We lived in Wichita falls area for several years way back then...

Welcome aboard...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #4

Nice intro
Congrats on the new TT
I skipped the pop up and went to a hybrid then moved up

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote