Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Hello from WA.

Hi Members, my name is George and I have being looking to get into the camping but I need or would like a little help searching for a trailer to buy. This is what I'm looking on getting 32RLDS, 2014 JAY FLIGHT and the gvwr of this trailer is 10,250 lbs, the uvw is 7,400 lbs, my TV is a 2014 2500 dodge ram 5.7 hemi, my payload is 2,350 lbs and my towing is 11,050.

So should I worry with this trailer or should I go a little smaller, but really since it just my wife and I, no kids or dogs I was thinking about a '30' ft trailer? Thank you for your comments.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

Can't help you much here, but can say welcome from a fellow west coaster from BC!

The only think I could offer is to consider what type of camping you plan to do. A 30 foot trailer is fairly big and nice for long trips. But if you are mostly doing shorter trips and going to state parks, it could prove a bit too big.

We have a 24 footer. It's fine, but ideally, we'd like something in the 26-28 foot range. I think it's a good size for both long and short term camping.

Good luck!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #3

Hi George, don't know how long you've been looking but the huge Seattle RV Show is this Feb. 11-12-13&14th and there are 100s of them to look at all under 1 roof. Remember you never pay MSRP, it's usually -25to30% of that and maybe better than that at the show. This will be the 3rd show for me and I take the BOLT bus and it drops me off right at King Street Station right across the street from the show. Ask all the questions you want because this site has a tremendous # of seasoned campers that have seen it all.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Thank you guys, I appreciated it you know realistic I might need to look at some 28' to 29' ft for my wife and I. Yes, we are looking at going to state parks, and since I'm a retired military we have being looking at the Navy base there on the ocean or something like that.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:32 PM   #5

You're looking at Pacific Beach no doubt. If you're a Navy guy you're probably pretty close to my neck of the woods. If you make Dosewallips State Park one of your stops I hang around there a lot between hosting and miscellaneous other volunteer jobs. Even worked as a park aide there for a bit just to fill my time. Ask for me and they'll know if I'm around or not.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #6

Yes sir it the Pacific Beach that I'm talking about, the wife and I drove through there a couple of months ago and love it, I did twenty-eight years in the Army and do have access there. When the wife and I pick up ours TT I will give you a shout, thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

Great! Welcome to the club! I did my stint at Ft. Lewis in 68 then it was on to New Joisey, and then Gooooooooooooood Mooooooooooorrrrrrrrrnnnnnnning Viet Nam.

I spent several years on RV.net. Great site to learn on but not as well moderated as this one as you can get some really cranky stuff goin on over there. Not near as many folks on here but it's friendlier and there's lots of folks here that know their stuff.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #8

Lol, that is funny, I was there at Ft. Lewis in the early 73's I join the Army in 72, I came close to go there but they were winding down at that time but some of the soldiers out of boot camp went those. The wife and I have been looking at RV's and she like that Denali trailers and she like that Jayco also but it will be interesting on the one we wind up getting.