Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #1

Hello! New to Jayco trailers - owner of Sport 165

I've always been a camper. I enjoyed camping with my family in our Airstream when I was young with my two brothers, Mom and Dad. Dad took care of everything so I never was really instructed on how to set up the camper or details of pulling the trailer. (I'm a girl, need I say more) Never the less, when my daughter was young we often went out in our pop-up camper together for Mother/ Daughter adventures. It's been a while since we've done that. I just bought a Jayflight Sport 165. I love that it is compact and light. I'm looking forward to lots of fun weekends.

I'm typically going to go out by myself, so any help or tips, especially technical, regarding the mechanics and towing would be appreciated. Of course my first time out, I forgot to plug the trailer into the car when I hitched up and ended up dragging the plug for miles. It's ruined and now I am laid up a few weeks until I can get my hitch intaller to repair it.

The good news is that I was able to use everything so I'd know how it all works. I flushed the grey and black tanks, had hot water for a shower, and cooked rahmen noodles for dinner.

Oh well, as you can see, I need lots of info. I'll be checking out everyone's posts!
Tinawiltsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.
There are many things to learn and until you become almost rote at remembering the things that need doing and in which order, when arriving and departing a campsite, a written sequence might be helpful.

I have one that I arrived at for my particular rig and each will vary slightly. I am sure you will get many suggestions and I would recommend you develop one from what you hear here and also what you learn.

Main thing is don't get distracted by someone trying to help and do something or forget something that can be unsafe!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum ! You can search this forum or the internet for a checklist of what to do until you're comfortable with your own routine. Youtube is a good source for help also.
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #4

Welcome aboard!

First find the sticky on pre-delivery inspection (PDI). That'll help you get familiar with your trailer.

Second, third and fourth, do several outings at Camp Driveway to figure out exactly what is and is not needed.

Read the intarwebs on trailering. Especially, build a written checklist of all the connections that have to be made and unmade for a safe journey.

Eventually, you will get a feel for what needs to be done. That's when the nagging sensation of "what did I forget, this time?" starts. Oh, wait that's everyday....

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

Thanks

Thank you for your posts. I appreciate the advice. I especially like the one about "Camp Driveway". Definitely a good idea.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawiltsee View Post
I've always been a camper. I enjoyed camping with my family in our Airstream when I was young with my two brothers, Mom and Dad. Dad took care of everything so I never was really instructed on how to set up the camper or details of pulling the trailer. (I'm a girl, need I say more) Never the less, when my daughter was young we often went out in our pop-up camper together for Mother/ Daughter adventures. It's been a while since we've done that. I just bought a Jayflight Sport 165. I love that it is compact and light. I'm looking forward to lots of fun weekends.

I'm typically going to go out by myself, so any help or tips, especially technical, regarding the mechanics and towing would be appreciated. Of course my first time out, I forgot to plug the trailer into the car when I hitched up and ended up dragging the plug for miles. It's ruined and now I am laid up a few weeks until I can get my hitch intaller to repair it.

The good news is that I was able to use everything so I'd know how it all works. I flushed the grey and black tanks, had hot water for a shower, and cooked rahmen noodles for dinner.

Oh well, as you can see, I need lots of info. I'll be checking out everyone's posts!
That plug is very easy to replace. The new plug should be color coded for the wires. Just a heads up if you want to save a few bucks and get out sooner
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Tina, Welcome From Colorado

On the top bar, under quick links, update your signature with info about your trailer and tow vehicle. This will help us when you have questions....

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

Welcome...I also have a 165 sport. Great little camper for 1 or 2 people. Anymore and its too small. Lots of,info in here not just on ours but RVs in General. Like was suggested, do a night in the driveway or close to home. Then you will know what kind of supplies you need. Use everything on the trailer and see,if they work and learn how they work. Hardest thing I have to get running in the hot water heater. It's at the end of the gas line so it takes a few minutes for it to purge itself and actually light, but once it does,oh my! Hot water shower is nice.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Treat it like an airplane. Follow departure and arrival checklists to include a final walkaround "preflight" inspection to make sure you haven't forgotten to secure something.

I broke my own rule and left a CG without following my checklist. I didn't check the TV antenna because I knew I hadn't raised it. Turns out that my son had! Fortunately it was a quick drive across the town to a different CG so we had no issues.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

First time trailer owner...

My wife and I just bought a 2011 Jay Flight 24FBS. We have done the tent camping thing, and we rented a pop-up once. That rental taught us that we wanted the travel trailer. We love it!!! Can't wait to go on our first camping trip next week. We have so may beautiful state parks here in FL, it's going to be fun. Hope we can meet some other Jayco owners out at the campgrounds. -John and Kristin
famandfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #11

Welcome, famandfa!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Welcome!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #14

You are right about the hot water. It scared me the first time, but now I know to wait for the gas. Do you know where the panel is to monitor the black and grey tanks? I don't see it anywhere. I have a 2005 Sport 165. Also, what do you tow with? My Subaru is too small to take it any further than an hour or so and only on flat surfaces.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawiltsee View Post
You are right about the hot water. It scared me the first time, but now I know to wait for the gas. Do you know where the panel is to monitor the black and grey tanks? I don't see it anywhere. I have a 2005 Sport 165. Also, what do you tow with? My Subaru is too small to take it any further than an hour or so and only on flat surfaces.
I looked at pix of your make/model on teh intarwebs and it looks like you haven't got a monitoring panel. If you have one it will be integrated with the water pump switch.

No real advice from me about a new tow. Anything with 1/4 ton capacity or better will pull your trailer easily.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #16

I have an 08. My panel is just inside the door on the wall. It seems to be that the Blackwater sensors are never correct so don't trust them. I just look down the toilet. I used to tow with a Ford Escape with the V6. It was all the vehicle could handle. I now tow with suburban. Big difference. No more white knuckle driving. It wasn't an engine thing it's a weight thing. It was like the tail wagging the dog. An escape is lightweight. An explorer sized vehicle should tow it fine. If you haven't get a WDH and if towing with a smaller vehicle get a sway bar. It helps a lot.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #17

Welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, sport 165