Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

hey everyone! newbie from Wisconsin...

hey everybody!

i just joined the forum and would like to formally introduce myself... my name is Doug, i'm 36, and i'm from southern Wisconsin although i am currently (and will be for the next 6 months) in north east Texas for work...

my dad and i are avid hunters and fishermen and have been talking for the past three seasons about getting a new camper for "up north". we currently have a "classic" 1977 Itasca MH that we've actually had for a little over 20 years now... unfortunately we had a break down going home in both the 2010 season (blown tire, on the drivers side... yeah, it was fun) and in 2011 we had a brake caliper seizure... last year, we kept our fingers crossed and made it home uneventfully... in the past few years it has also developed a few minor (for now) fluid leaks...

since i'm working out of town i decided to bite the bullet and buy a camper for us... hotels around here are $1,400 a month so it was the perfect time to start looking for a new camper for us and put the money into something i can actually take home... i looked at a lot of floor plans by many different manufacturers and decided that the Jayco Swift 26 Bunk House was the right model for us... dad can use the bed up front and i'll have the lower bunk all to myself... sometimes a friend of mine comes up for a 3-4 day weekend so he can jump up in the top bunk... i think it's a win win for everybody...

so far i am pretty happy with everything about the camper except for one thing...

...when you flush the toilet a few times, a small puddle of water appears at the base (side and back)... i have to stuff a hand towel behind the toilet to help contain and sop up the water... i called the dealership where i bought the camper from and told them i'd like to start a warranty claim (ALREADY!) they said i could either take the camper back to them for repair (65+ miles one way) or they'd be "happy" to send out a field technician and charge me a $100 for his time and gas i'm sure but the parts would be under warranty. to say the least i was a little upset that they would want to charge me, the customer, a hundred bucks for something that was clearly out of my hands, control, or doing... i completely agree with paying a man for his work but shouldn't they be back charging Jayco for a poor installation or installing a broken or malfunctioning fixture? anyways, yanking the camper back to the dealer is NOT an option and would end up costing me more than a hundred bucks in gas and additional lodging if i have to hotel it again... they suggested trying to re-tighten/torque the toilet flange bolts incase they were not properly set and to also look down the toilet to see if perhaps the flange gasket was misaligned in that i should be able to see it... i looked for the gasket, couldn't see it squished out anywhere, and i re-torqued the flange bolts but still have the leak... would anybody have a clue as to where to start looking for the leak? it doesn't seem to be a "high pressure" leak so i don't really have a clue... i'm hoping for some suggestions for a DIY fix and save me a hundred bucks...

sorry for the long post folks... i'm looking forward to being a part of the Jayco Owners Forum... happy camping!

Doug
BunkHouse26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Have fun and good luck with the new trailer

L
firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

First, welcome and congratulations on your new Jayco.

Are you sure the leak is from the bottom of the toilet? Mine had a defective flush valve and leaked down the back side intermittently when flushing. Watch that area while flushing to determine if it is coming from there.

You could also explore having another, closer, RV dealer to check it out if you can't figure it out. A check with Jayco prior to doing so could determine if they would reimburse them for the repair.

PS I can relate to the 77 Itasca...we started with a 75 Winnebago in 1998!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Welcome, good to see another WI member! My toilet has leaked every so often since new. I took it back to the dealership when it was still under warranty and they said nothing was wrong (yeah right). Anyways, I just toss a towel behind it now and more often than not it doesn't even leak. One of these years I am going to pull it all apart and fix it correctly.