Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Cool I convinced my husband to buy a Jay Flight SLX 174BH, now what?!

Hi everyone, it took some convincing, but I got my husband to agree to buy our first trailer Currently live in beautiful western Maryland. We are hikers and I used to camp with my dad as a kid, but together we are COMPLETE newbies.

I am a gadget junkie so I'm looking around here for your nice-to-haves. We also have 2 dogs and a 2 year old daughter. Kinda nervous about keeping her entertained, lol.

Looking forward to connecting with and learning from all of you.
cariegrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

Hello and welcome. Read advice for newbs on here and make the advice fit your situation.

Relax, have fun and enjoy the journey.

Dave.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!!

The biggest advice I would guess most will give is to make sure you have the proper tv (tow vehicle) for the trailer. Know that the tow rating is based on 2-150lb occupants and a 10% tw (tongue weight of loaded trailer) if based on the newer tow standard that came out a couple years ago. IF not based on the tow standard, then the tow rating has been based on a 150lb driver only. Make sure you tv has the payload capacity for all the occupants, any cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc), the wdh (weight distribution hitch, if needed), and the tt tw (travel trailer tongue weight).

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #4

Welcome to the group - Lots of great folks here. Congrats on the new camper - Happy camping!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

Congratulations, my advice is to go out for the weekend somewhere close to home with a pencil and paper. The family will have fun checking out the trailer and if you absolutely need something that you forgot you can go home and get it.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Welcome! You've found a wealth of knowledge here, if you don't see it just ask. Don't worry about the kiddo, my 3 yr old loves camping as much if not more than I do. I make everything a "project" that we do together and its "her camper" if you ask her.
We always take a tote that is hers for toys,books and games. She gets to pick what she takes as long as it fits in the tote.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #7

Congrats on the new TT. Your going to love it! We find camping very relaxing and enjoyable, even on just a two day weekend.

It is a lot easier when you get duplicate items for the TT. Cookware, hair dryers, towels etc. No fun to unload EVERYTHING when you get home.

When camping, keep a list of things you need (and things to leave home) is helpful. ENJOY!!
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by john7349 View Post
congrats on the new tt.

It is a lot easier when you get duplicate items for the tt. Cookware, hair dryers, towels etc. No fun to unload everything when you get home
enjoy!!
Old 09-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum! You'll learn soon enough what have-to-haves you'll need. To me, that's the fun part of getting a new camper. And once you get all the necessities, you'll find yourself adding little "cool-to-haves". Just enjoy the experience and have fun!

Camp on!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Site Team

Looked at your profile and it looks like you already have the camper and plenty of tow vehicle. I suggest you finish up your signature section so you won't be getting advice on what to buy in a rig or tv if you already have it.

Welcome to JOF. Go out and enjoy it. Make it short weekends and learn the rig and what extras you need will become evident quickly. As others have stated, the less you have to cart back and forth, the more enjoyable packing and unpacking for a trip will be.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #11

Welcome aboard! The kid will be just fine. Your TV needs to be your biggest concern in picking out a camper. They are weight limited, both in cargo and towing capacity, and they are not all built the same. If you have a vehicle already that you would like to use to tow a new TT (travel trailer) or PU (popup), I would call the manufacture customer service, not the dealer. Have your vin number. They can tell you the tow rating, based on how your TV was configured as it left the factory. Dodge was really helpful and informed me how it was calculated, I asked a lot of questions. In my case, they calculated it with an average size driver (150 pounds) and a full tank of fuel. That was all, no passengers, no cargo. Remember your kid will grow, maybe another will becoming, or a friend, niece/nephew? So leave room for growth if you can.

As for picking out a camper. My recommendation is wonder around the dealership, pick out a few that you like. Then ditch the salesperson, sit in the camper, for a while, dig through every cargo hold, drawer, cabinet, and look for hidden spaces. Think about where you are going to put your stuff. One of the complaints I hear from people is where do I put ????? for example I like the 17Z, but the first thing I noticed was nowhere to put our cloths. That meant, everything was in duffle bags, and it had to be moved to go to bed during the day to use the table, or moved to the table we wanted to lay down. If the weather was bad and we were hanging out inside, it was just going to be in the way. I gave up on the 17Z fairly quickly. As others said we leave a cheap set of dishes, pots, pans, silverware, jackets, etc in the TT, all year. At the end of the trip, the perishable food, bedding and cloths come out to be washed. The bedding goes back in. When we are ready to go on our next trip, load in our fresh perishable type food, cloths, and go.

As for entertaining the Kido. We took out our tv (television) right after our first trip. My thought is we can use the tv at home the rest of the week. We go camping to get out and about and do something different. We do a lot of hikes, bike rides, fishing, sitting by the fire, and so forth. We do bring a couple tablets and books for buggy evenings and late night relaxing. We have games and cards that stay in the tt year round. Our Kido has an activity bag. He is responsible to pick out whatever he wants and it has to fit in there.

Happy TT hunting!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

We had a Trail Manor TT before our current one and I being 6'2" was constantly giving myself headaches as the TT was made for someone under 5'11. DW spent 6 months looking at different models/floorplans (interior height was a major point) on the internet. She narrowed it down to 3 different MFR/models. We went to the RV show in Tampa and narrowed it down to the Jayco 2012 EAGLE 284BHS. We ordered it through RV Express (internet) and they had a price no one else (in 3 states) could even come close to, so we ordered it. Saved an extra $1900 by driving to Indiana to pick it up and head back to the mountains in Georgia, where we have a seasonal spot. Never had any issues with getting things done at dealers either. I love gadgets...

Good Luck!!!!
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
As for entertaining the Kido. We took out our tv (television) right after our first trip. My thought is we can use the tv at home the rest of the week. We go camping to get out and about and do something different. We do a lot of hikes, bike rides, fishing, sitting by the fire, and so forth. We do bring a couple tablets and books for buggy evenings and late night relaxing. We have games and cards that stay in the tt year round. Our Kido has an activity bag. He is responsible to pick out whatever he wants and it has to fit in there.

Happy TT hunting!
I guess everyone is different, but I like my TV. At the end of the day, I enjoy watching some late night TV. And watching an occasional movie (RV anyone?) as well.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I guess everyone is different, but I like my TV. At the end of the day, I enjoy watching some late night TV. And watching an occasional movie (RV anyone?) as well.
Oh, I see lots of tv watching while at camp. I just like to mix up things up and that is one way to ensure we are doing something different than when we are at home.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #15

Most things about this you can learn as you go. There is one thing you should memorize immediately, though:

When the grey and black tank handles are pushed IN, the are closed.

Mistaking this can lead to a disaster that is only funny when you see it happen to a comedian in a movie, or in retrospect MANY years later.

:P
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote