Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Jumping in...

I have jumped in with both feet, I think. Hopefully I can tread water long enough to learn to swim.

I have purchased a 34' 2016 29BHDS for my first TT. Haven't taken delivery of it, but it seemed like a better idea at the time than it does right at this moment. I'm actually dreading backing it into my driveway the first time more than anything else right now. I also worry about all the things I'll be doing for the first time and just hope I don't break anything important along the way and that I do it all safely. I really should have bought a smaller beater trailer to learn with first, but the DW and kids really liked this one...

Anyway, we plan to spend three weeks driving cross county and back as our first real trip in it. That's why I say we are jumping in with both feet. I always hated driving behind a slow TT on long trips, now I'm definitely going to be That Guy. At least for a while.

The TV is a Suburban 2500 6L V8 with 4.10 axle, so while my wallet will be thin, from everything I've read and the experience of others in my family using this as a TV, it should be a good ride.

Anyway, glad for this forum and all the information in it. It's been very helpful.

If y'all have any advice, do's/don'ts, anything obviously unwise about the TV/TT combo, etc. I'm open to it. Thanks!
TrailerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

What year Suburban do you have? I am interested to hear your tow report with this combo.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

Welcome!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
What year Suburban do you have? I am interested to hear your tow report with this combo.
It's a 2001, so I'm not sure I can add to any of the existing tow reports from similar sized trailers in this combo.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

If you're planning on bringing it home from the dealer and backing it into your driveway...don't.

1) Google "backing up travel trailer" and read/watch videos from now till pickup
2) Pick it up at the dealers and head to a large empty parking lot. Preferably with some cones to use.
3) Spend an hour or two practicing and getting a feel for how it works.
4) Now head home.

You should be able to successfully get it in your driveway.

Note however, that campsites may still be a little rough. We've had our HTT since last October. At this point, I can get it in the driveway pretty easily. But every campsite is a new challenge. Keep calm, take it slow and don't be afraid to pull out and come around again.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
2006 Honda Ridgeline (retired TV)
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_cincy View Post
If you're planning on bringing it home from the dealer and backing it into your driveway...don't.
Good advice, and I wasn't. I'm almost 2 hours from the dealer, so I'll have a decent feel for highway driving by the time I get home. (Not looking forward to having to take it to the dealership for any potential warranty issues...) I have used a small boat trailer before, which will help with the basics, but I'll definitely be finding that big parking lot on the way home!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerScott View Post
I have used a small boat trailer before, which will help with the basics
From what I understand....you should find backing the bigger trailer easier than a small one. But it will still be something to get used to.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 08-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
From what I understand....you should find backing the bigger trailer easier than a small one. But it will still be something to get used to.
I've read that, as well. With the boat trailer, I never really needed much help from a spotter. I figure the practice backing up is as much for practice of spotting procedures and communications as for my driving skills.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerScott View Post
I've read that, as well. With the boat trailer, I never really needed much help from a spotter. I figure the practice backing up is as much for practice of spotting procedures and communications as for my driving skills.
Well a small boat's a lot easier to see around...

OTOH, I have backed into my drive a couple times with no spotter. You just have to stop and look often. A lot depends on how well you can see with your mirrors/extensions.

And of course semi truck drivers backup without spotters all the time. Granted, they usually just backup till they hit the dock!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 08-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

Quote:

1) Google "backing up travel trailer" and read/watch videos from now till pickup
2) Pick it up at the dealers and head to a large empty parking lot. Preferably with some cones to use.
3) Spend an hour or two practicing and getting a feel for how it works.
4) Now head home.

You should be able to successfully get it in your driveway.

Note however, that campsites may still be a little rough. We've had our HTT since last October. At this point, I can get it in the driveway pretty easily. But every campsite is a new challenge. Keep calm, take it slow and don't be afraid to pull out and come around again.
Welcome and this is good advice. That's exactly what I did with DW, just in case.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Congratulations and welcome! All good advice, and just take it slow and easy, there's no rush.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote