Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Talking Just got a Jayco. Excited!

Hi everyone!

Searching for the right rig within budget has been an exhausting process, but after several months of searching we finally found it!

It's a 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 23FB travel trailer in immaculate condition. Whether it'll keep that condition as my boyfriend and I live in it full time has yet to be seen.

This RV will be a first for both of us, though I grew up traveling in my parent's RV and have also been living in partially converted vans the past couple years. Our initial plan is to have it stationary, but eventually we hope to purchase a vehicle to tow it with and take it on the road. I figure by starting out stationary there's a bit less to learn right away, and winter is fast approaching. I've been up to my eyeballs in research learning everything I can.

It's being delivered to our chosen location on Sunday, and the adventure begins!!

Hoping to learn a lot here.
Heidi Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the group When you have questions on Monday morning, let us know what they are. You live in my 2nd favorite city. Congrats on the new camper, sounds like you guys are in 'tiny house' mode and have some experience for sure. I guess you have a place to park and plug in so you don't have to worry that much about freezing your water system? Curious how that works. Anyway, congrats again.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

o/ welcome
Old 10-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

Thanks, bansai and Higgy! Yep, I've arranged a place to park it at least for the winter. Plugging in to a house appears to be a bit more complex than an RV hookup, but it looks like everything has a solution and it's just a matter of obtaining the necessary equipment.

I've been doing a lot of research on RVing in freezing temps, and depending on how cold of a winter we have it could be an issue. I plan to make a heated and insulated hose for the water hookup and be sure to run some propane heat even if we mainly do electric in order to help protect the pipes. There are other measures that can be taken as well; I'm sponging all the info now and should have enough time to make sure everything's ready before winter sets in.
Heidi Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #5

Hi to you and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:04 AM   #6

Congratulations on the new rig and welcome to the group!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Mull View Post
but eventually we hope to purchase a vehicle to tow it with and take it on the road.
WOW... how exciting!

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Hello and welcome. All the best in your adventure.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, bansai and Higgy! Yep, I've arranged a place to park it at least for the winter. Plugging in to a house appears to be a bit more complex than an RV hookup, but it looks like everything has a solution and it's just a matter of obtaining the necessary equipment.

I've been doing a lot of research on RVing in freezing temps, and depending on how cold of a winter we have it could be an issue. I plan to make a heated and insulated hose for the water hookup and be sure to run some propane heat even if we mainly do electric in order to help protect the pipes. There are other measures that can be taken as well; I'm sponging all the info now and should have enough time to make sure everything's ready before winter sets in.
How far are you from your electric hookup? I assume you are connecting to a standard household 20 amp outlet? If you plan on running electric heat be sure you are using the appropriate gauge extension cord for the distance.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Congratulations!!!

Just some thoughts, since it gets cold here too.

Remember those RVs are NOT insulated very well at all. It's going to get cold inside.

Running the furnace warms up our RV, but the colder it is outside, the longer it runs and it really sucks up the propane! Try to see if you can get a handle on how fast you run thru a tank when it's 30* outside.

When our motorhome is parked outside the house (usually just for loading) I have it plugged into a 20A house circuit. Not a 15A, but a 20 amp circuit. And I bought a *nice* 50' 10 gauge extension cord. The longer the cord, the higher quality and "lower gauge wire" it should be.

On a 20A circuit, I cannot run the microwave AND the A/C. I pick one and turn off the other. But I can run the fridge, furnace, lights, TVs and just about everything else.

My approach was - that if the temps were going to be in the low 20's (or lower) then I'd winterize. If higher than that, then I tossed a household electric heater into the RV. Even on medium heat settings, I could keep the insides at high-40's to low-50's and I didn't worry about freezing anything.

The last small purchase I made was one of those remote thermometers from Walmart. That way I could watch the temps outside in the RV from the living room.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote