Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #11
Originally Posted by fireman View Post
here's my 2 cents worth. Take the exchange tank back where you got it and tell them it's defective and see if you can't get your money back. Go out and buy new propane tanks and get them filled and refilled when the time comes. I WILL NEVER USE AN EXCHANGE PROPANE TANK. Every year we have LP fires that have one thing in common...exchange tanks. You don't know there past history and use. I'm not saying your hose may not be the problem, but I know from experience what these tanks can do. 15 years in the fire service, 12 years as a fire investigator and state certified fire safety inspector. Don't forget to always check you line and fittings with soapy water. Safe and happy camping.
This advice may be well intended, but I have used exchange tanks many times over the years and have never experienced a problem. Yes I check the new tanks when I install them. I have my tanks refilled when possible but it is often not possible when traveling. New TTs now come with 20# tanks rather than the 30# that were popular a few years ago. I think the reason for the switch was partially to reduce weight but also makes it possible to utilize exchange tanks when necessary. A quick swap at Wally World or gas station gets you back in business when refill is not available. Several times I swapped an older rusty tank for an exchange bottle just to get a new clean tank. I know they aren't filled to the max level, but it is cheaper than painting the old tank. Once you have an exchange tank, you own it and can refill it when that is available.

There is a reason why exchange tanks are involved in many of the propane related fires. The majority of folks don't have access to a refill station and picking up a tank while loading up on burgers and buns for the patio picnic is pretty much common place.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
Unreliable connection, potential leaks, poor operation of valves, etc. Blah. Blah.

50% more $$$ for the same amount (or less) propane!

I'll keep my cans and refill them.

TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote