Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Maiden Voyage

I will be leaving tomorrow morning on my shake-down cruise with my new Jay Feather Sport and I had a couple of questions:

I'd like to have the refrigerator running while I'm driving. Is this safe? Also, other than making sure the gas tank knob is turned on and pressing the fridge's "LP" button (or whatever they label it), is there anything else I need to do to make sure it will begin cooling?

Thanks.
Ray364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

Ray - we never travelled with the fridge on gas, but that may be considered 'old-school' these days. In the past, my biggest concern was the pilot blowing out and wasting propane & $$$.

Realistically, the best thing to do is to plug in the unit while you're loading it up and let the fridge get cold. Once you're ready to roll, unplug everything and hit the road (the fridge will simply act like a big 'cooler'; once you arrive to your destination fire-up the fridge on gas or plug 'er in again. Everything should stay cool & fresh for up to 6 hours so long as you don't go into the fridge all the time while it's off. This was our habit and the milk never went sour....

Now - not actually having my own new trailer in the driveway yet I don't have experience with the new units - will jayco fridge's run off the 12v battery? If so, you're better off using that while on the road, in my humble opinion.

Good luck on the shakedown - I'm jealous! We've got to wait a few weeks yet to try out ours!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #3

Howdy Ray,
I run my fridge on LP while I'm traveling. If you do this, you will need to make sure you turn the fridge off when you go to the gas station. This can be a pain as you should stop before the pumps, turn off the fridge, proceed to the pumps to fuel, pull away from the pumps and stop again to turn the fridge on. McMonk is accurate when he says that the fridge turns into a big cooler while travelling, so his way may be easier. I guess it depends on how hot it is and how far you have to travel.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys! Makes sense.
Ray364 is offline   Reply With Quote