Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #41

Welcome to the forum. You will like the fireplace. It's nice to turn on when you are having dinner, or if it's raining outside, and you are missing your campfire. Ours keeps the trailer warm enough until it gets down below 30 degrees. The TV is nice, too, however, if it goes out like mine did, remember you need to buy one, or have Jayco replace it, with one that has the power cord on the side. Long story!!! The double entry into the bathroom is nice, too. Yes, your wife will really like it. I often say our trailer will entertain 6, feed 4, but sleep 2!

Enjoy!

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #42

I think my parents would really like this trailer as they are looking to upgrade their 17z. I have a question about the TV though. (television lol)

While I like to look of having a flat screen over the fireplace at home and in the campers, I don't know if I'm a fan of the usefulness of it. It just seems like you would be straining your neck up just to watch TV.

Any comments on that?

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
I think my parents would really like this trailer as they are looking to upgrade their 17z. I have a question about the TV though. (television lol)

While I like to look of having a flat screen over the fireplace at home and in the campers, I don't know if I'm a fan of the usefulness of it. It just seems like you would be straining your neck up just to watch TV.

Any comments on that?
Our TV is on a mount that can pulled away from the wall, and pointed to either the left or right. No need to strain the necks.

Regards,

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
Our TV is on a mount that can pulled away from the wall, and pointed to either the left or right. No need to strain the necks.

Regards,

Great, I didn't know that. Does it also tilt up and down?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
Great, I didn't know that. Does it also tilt up and down?
No.

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Old 01-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #46

Well, my parents went to the local Jayco place today and they had the DSRE, but without the fireplace. In it's place was the big picture window with the TV on the rear cabinets. They liked it but I also think they would like the fireplace too.

They probably would have bought the DSRL if it didn't have a walkthrough bathroom. They like the large rear window because we do a lot of beach camping and they wanted the views from inside the trailer.

They also had the DSRB but I'm not a fan of having the bathroom on the other side of the camper. This would be my parents camper and very often one or both of them will have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I'm sure they don't want to walk clear across the camper to get to it.

So when all is said and done, I think they might look into the DSRE with either the large window or the fireplace.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #47

Smile Tongue Weights

Thanks for the advise Bob, I would really like to pick you brain here....I have read that safe limits for TT TW's are typically between 9% to 20%.....I understand that 9% is on the low side but what I find interesting is that the DSRE comes balanced from the factory with filled propane tanks with at TW that is 9% of dry weight or yellow sticker weight. It makes sense, that if I towed the trailer empty that the TT should be safely balanced with the TW. Do you think that the factory balance of 9% should be maintained when loading the trailer and do you think that the wide stance axles have any effect on this. On another note do you know how much tongue weight is displaced to the TT axles by using a WD hitch...this weight would also reduce the effect of the TW from the rear of the TV.
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Ron,

Smart move confirming your TV loaded weights, and your right, 600lbs of remaining payload for the TT's loaded tongue weight isn't much at all. Limited payload capacity is the only limiting factor on many half ton's when it comes to towing the heavier TT's.

As you are aware the 30DSRE is a 34ft long TT (GVWR 8,200lbs), but many folks find that towing at a 13% to 15% loaded tongue weight enhances TV handling with the long TT's, so be mindful of this in less than ideal towing conditions towing at 10%. I like the floorplan of the 30DSRE, the open living/kitchen area and plenty of windows to let the light in.

The Anderson WDH is relatively new on the market and seems to be getting fair reviews based on the short time it's been in use. Lot of first hand usage info on the Anderson WDH here: http://www.rv.net/forum/ (search: Anderson hitch)

Bob

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #48

WD hitches don't displace weight back to the TT axels, rather it distributes some of the TW to the forward axel of the TV. Others can give you physics on how this happens, I just know weight isn't be sent back to the TT but rather forward. The entire TT TW is being carried by your TV.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #49

Angry

[QUOTE=clubhouse;112200]WD hitches don't displace weight back to the TT axels, rather it distributes some of the TW to the forward axel of the TV. Others can give you physics on how this happens, I just know weight isn't be sent back to the TT but rather forward. The entire TT TW is being carried by your TV.[/QUOTE

Hi,
This is directly from the Reese web-site that describes the function of a WD system.

What is Weight Distribution?

Try to think of a Weight Distribution Hitch System as a bridge connecting the towing vehicle and the trailer. It has an adjustable under truss system called spring bars that join the “V” of the trailer to the hitch head and the receiver hitch to evenly distribute the weight.
The head bolts to the shank to ensure proper height and the shank slides into the receiver hitch which is bolted to the towing vehicle. The weight is then more evenly distributed between both axles of the towing vehicle and the trailer itself.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #50

Here's another explanation from Reese.

Weight Distribution FAQs

A Weight Distribution (WD) System takes the natural center of the weight off of your trailer hitch and distributes it between the tow vehicle and the trailer wheels.
Rather than merely supporting the trailer tongue weight (TW), Weight Distributing Hitches apply leverage between the towing vehicle and trailer causing the TW to be carried by all axles of both the tow vehicle and the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
WD hitches don't displace weight back to the TT axels, rather it distributes some of the TW to the forward axel of the TV. Others can give you physics on how this happens, I just know weight isn't be sent back to the TT but rather forward. The entire TT TW is being carried by your TV.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #51

You very well could be right, I have given up trying to understand all the physics of why it does what it does.

I friend of mine, who is a very talented engineer, gave me an explanation and demo once that began to make a lay person understand. It isn't something that I could even write and attempt to make sense. I do however recall it having a lot to do with the spring bars introducing longitundal force oppsed to the the straight up and down force created when the coupler is placed on the ball. Also, there was elements that had to do with the weight being dynamic while in transit. If I recall, he had calulations based on what happend to the force and weight on the hitch during exceleration and braking that was different than while idle.

At this point I hope someone can tell you what you are looking for...I simply shared what I learned from a source I trusted.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #52

Hi Clubhouse,
just found this in my e-owners manual. What I find interesting by this statement is that the typical theoretically defined GVW of your TV is not how it's done with a WD hitch. Your measured hitch weight (bathroom scale or other method) will probably be 20 -25% higher then the load that is actually placed on the TV because of the effects of the WD hitch.

• Total weight must be distributed between the tow vehicle and the trailer such that the following four ratings are not exceeded:
1. GVWR
2. GTW
3. GAWR
4. Trailer tongue weight rating for the trailer hitch utilized (This requirement may limit the ability to always achieve the 10% to 15% range of tongue weight as a percentage of total trailer weight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
You very well could be right, I have given up trying to understand all the physics of why it does what it does.

I friend of mine, who is a very talented engineer, gave me an explanation and demo once that began to make a lay person understand. It isn't something that I could even write and attempt to make sense. I do however recall it having a lot to do with the spring bars introducing longitundal force oppsed to the the straight up and down force created when the coupler is placed on the ball. Also, there was elements that had to do with the weight being dynamic while in transit. If I recall, he had calulations based on what happend to the force and weight on the hitch during exceleration and braking that was different than while idle.

At this point I hope someone can tell you what you are looking for...I simply shared what I learned from a source I trusted.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
Thanks for the advise Bob, I would really like to pick you brain here.... snip
Ron,

I apparently missed your post, apologize for not responding earlier. It appears that you have answered most of your questions, and our mutual discussion at the following thread provided some additional detail: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...on-please-help

The yellow weight sticker represents the actual "ship weights" upon departing the Jayco factory, and as you sited include the weight of filled LP tanks....., but it should be noted the tanks don't get filled until arriving at the RV dealership. The RV dealership is required to attached another (revised) weight sticker if he adds more than 100lbs in options, reflecting the reduction in the TT's CCC.

Interesting how the actual "ship weights" in almost every case are higher than the published UVW weights that RV sales folks put in front of customers, and in some of the heavier TT's and FW's can add another 450lbs.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #54

Nice rig!! Welcome!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #55

Red face 2014 DSRE in my driveway

Just picked up a new 2014 White Hawk 30DSRE last week. The 2014's are called the Summit Edition. Think just some subtle changes from the previous model. Same floorplan and features. Timed it just right, got the 2013 price and got the 2014 model. Picked it up at the dealer near the Jayco plant in Middlebury In. Got a great price and had it built with just the options I wanted. Dealer is RVConnections. Time from PO to Pick-up was right at 6 weeks.

Pulled it home [450 miles] with no problems. Pulled smooth with our Silverado 1500. Just getting to know it. Its set up in the back yard. We're going to take our time loading it up. RVs are like houses and they pick up extra stuff the longer you own them. Had the last one for 6 years and want to purge the stuff we don't use. Weight on the White Hawk moves us closer to the limit on the TV so we have to be more careful. Only thing I had to do was buy a new tow bar for our Reese WD hitch. Needed 3 more inches of rise. Otherwise the transition to the new TT was a breese.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #56

Congrats on the new 2014.
I will be picking up my new 2013DSRE this Friday...can't wait.
Glad to hear that it towed well with your Silverado 1500, as that's what I have for a TV. I do have the HD trailering package on my TV, but after reading everything in the forums I was worried that I might have to invest in a new TV. I had already started talking the Mrs. into the 2500HD Silverado. Now it might be that I don't need to spend the extra money...leaving more money for camping.
Thanks for your post. I hope you enjoy your new TT.
Rich, JoAn & Roxy (11 LBS. of guard dog)
RJ1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #57

Only saw the 2013 once but now starting to understand that there are some changes to the 2014 that are more than subtle. One is a taller internal ceiling and arched roof. We ordered ours with the fireplace RE, free standing table/chairs, and the fold out couch. Our old TT had a traditional bench/bed table and the jackknife type couch. The new options are a little pricey but well worth the $$. The layout of this model is perfect for our [wife and I] application. Have started to spend a month or more traveling and vegging in Fla during the winter. Wanted more creature comfort space than our 06 Keystone. Found everything we were looking for and more in this TT. Looked at fifth wheels but everything was too heavy for our 1500 and chevy doesn't want you towing a 5thW with a crewcab short bed. Really glad to have lucked into the 2014 upgrades.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #58

Just ordered a 30DSRE from factory. Got every option available. Super excited. Have a toy hauler right now but wife says does not have enough swag (too utilitarian for her). Thats fine, I usually put my quad in the bed of my truck. My only worry is using it in some of our state parks. We are members of thousand trails so its still all good.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #59

Have never been able to get any info about adjusting the brakes. Manual on my 30dsre says at 3000 [also after first hundred miles]. Anxious to hear from fellow White Hawk owners on how to adjust the brakes.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #60

Hi Bassdogs,

If you go back to post #40 I have included links to videos that describe how to adjust the brakes and grease the bearings on the 30DSRE.

Regards,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Have never been able to get any info about adjusting the brakes. Manual on my 30dsre says at 3000 [also after first hundred miles]. Anxious to hear from fellow White Hawk owners on how to adjust the brakes.

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch