Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

New 2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE Owners

Family and I just traded in our 2008 Forest River Shamrock 19 hybrid trailer (first trailer) on a new 2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE. This new trailer is a huge step up for us and has everything we could think of that we really wanted in a trailer. We can't wait to do some traveling and camping.
Attached Thumbnails
photo2.jpg   photo7.jpg   photo6.jpg  
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Those Whitehawks sure are nice, and that fireplace sure adds a nice touch.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #3

Thank you! We were in awe when we saw this travel trailer. We had no idea just how nice they could be. I think we are going to be very happy. We bought the smaller hybrid first not knowing for sure if we would enjoy the whole camping thing. We love it. So... we decided we were ready to really take the plunge and buy a big travel trailer.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

Welcome to the JOF newbold1! I had not seen that White Hawk before now. Looks nice with the fireplace! Congrats
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #5

Thanks! Apparently it is a new model for 2013 that they started producing around August 2012 or so. We love the floor plan. Big living room area in the back. Island kitchen in the middle. Bath with separate entry for guests or from the queen bedroom. Don't have to walk through the bathroom to get to the bedroom... which I really prefer. It's a good trailer if you don't need a lot of beds but would instead like a lot of space to spread out. The couch pulls out to a bed if needed though. I would think this is going to be a popular layout for folks that don't have a young children that need sleeping spaces.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #6

newbold1, nice setup. How did that Ecoboost handle it?

2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.73 (traded)
2005 Jayco 1207 (second PUP)
1976 Coleman Brandywine (first PUP)
katgar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #7

Hi I'm new and have also just purchased a 30DSRE...I plan to tow with a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie and am learning that this unit will just put me over my payload capacity by 100Lbs. I'm not overly worried about it because its still under my GAWR & GCVR...just would like to know how it handled behind the F150?
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

Welcome. Nice trailer. Looks like a great floorplan.
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #9

I have to say that the Ecoboost tows this trailer very well. The trailer has a GVWR of 8,200 and my truck's max is also 8,200. I towed the trailer home from the dealership (50 miles) with full propane tanks and a full tank of fresh water. I am guessing I was probably at about 7,000 - 7,250 lbs. I felt like I was no where near maxed out on the weight. I am relieved because my trade in trailer was about half the weight and I wasn't sure if the double weight was going to feel like too much. I am pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #10

I really like the floor plan. No need to pass through the bathroom to get to the bedroom. You can get into the bathroom from the bedroom though so if you have guests and such you don't have to get all dressed to use the bathroom at night (wife likes this feature). The living space feel huge for a travel trailer. The kitchen with island means that you can use the kitchen and people can walk past on the other side of the island without getting into each other's way. Of course, the couch is a pull out bed too so you have another sleeping area if needed. I think this trailer makes the best use of space for a couple that doesn't need space for kids or guests except on occasion and would more often want to have a larger living space.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #11

^ Jealous . Thats a very nice looking combo you have there and I agree that firplace/living area is a nice option to have and looks very inviting. Welcome!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #12

I can't wait to get the trailer, unfortunately that won't happen up here in Canada untill April. I'm planning on getting an Andersen WD anti-sway hitch, it's only 50 lbs. helps keep the weight down. What is your payload on the F150? The problem I have is that I took the Ram to the CAT scale with just me and my wife and the GVW was 6200 lbs, my GVWR is only 6800 lbs...doesn't leave a lot of room for the tongue weight. This truck has all kinds of power, but when fully loaded with options like Ram box, crew cab, leather, running boards etc. it takes most of the payload. So I will be running the TT with 10% tongue weight and no more than 700 lbs of gear in the trailer. Your DSRE should weigh about 6400 dry (that includes the propane tanks filled) and you added 46 gallons of water @ 8.35 lbs/gallon so your TT GVW should have been around 6800 lbs. when you towed it. I read that the wide stance axles provide much more stability and weight distribution but are hard on the tires....I'm glad it tows well for you...makes me feel better! Please let us know how you make out on your trips and what you find out about this TT. There are not a lot of us that have this unit.

Regards,

Ron

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
snip.......So I will be running the TT with 10% tongue weight and no more than 700 lbs of gear in the trailer.....snip
Ron,

Smart move confirming your TV loaded weights, and your right, 600lbs of remaining payload for the TT's loaded tongue weight isn't much at all. Limited payload capacity is the only limiting factor on many half ton's when it comes to towing the heavier TT's.

As you are aware the 30DSRE is a 34ft long TT (GVWR 8,200lbs), but many folks find that towing at a 13% to 15% loaded tongue weight enhances TV handling with the long TT's, so be mindful of this in less than ideal towing conditions towing at 10%. I like the floorplan of the 30DSRE, the open living/kitchen area and plenty of windows to let the light in.

The Anderson WDH is relatively new on the market and seems to be getting fair reviews based on the short time it's been in use. Lot of first hand usage info on the Anderson WDH here: http://www.rv.net/forum/ (search: Anderson hitch)

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #14

The payload on my F150 is 1,520 lbs. The wheels on the trailer are closer to center rather than far back. I need to check but I think the tongue weight must be pretty low. My truck still sits pretty much level even with the trailer hitched up and the bed carrying about 150 lbs of tools and junk that I have back there. I'll be making a long distance trip with the trailer soon and I should know a lot more about how it handles. This trip will include a trek across Mount Eagle Mountain near Chattanooga, TN with some fairly steep grades. Very curious to see how it handles when I'm not driving on more or less flat terrain.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
Site Team

Dry hitch weight 585, before propane, batteries, WD system, and any stuff in the trailer.

FLOORPLAN 30DSRE
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 5,990
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 585
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 8,200
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,210
Measurements
Exterior Length 33' 11"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height w/ A/C 131"
Interior Height 78"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 46.5
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 30.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 30.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity 3-6
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #16

This is the exact same unit we are getting. I had a conversation with Jayco a couple of months ago since they did not have the specs for weights on their site, sent me the info and got it posted that same day. The tag on the unit we are looking to get while on the lot says the unit with fully load propane tanks is 6452 (not sure if tag is normally realistic or not). Would love to see what you find out if you happen to take it to the scales. We too have an F150 and running the numbers using the higher weight numbers with estimated additional load for all gear puts us close to the 20/15 ratio, actually 20/13 to be exact. Will be getting a ProPride hitch so that was another 190 to add to weight. I know that eventually a F250 will be in the cards.

Gary

Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	5883
glcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
Site Team

That yellow sticker should be accurate, does include weight added in for full propane tanks. But not battery. The
'published weights" we see in the specs are almost always several hundred pounds lighter then the delivered yellow sticker weight. That`s usually because the published weight assumes a basic model with no options or propane. IIRC mine was a few hundred pounds heavier on the yellow sticker then the published weight.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #18

I had a couple things wrong about my truck. Payload is right... 1,520. Towing is 8,100 and GVWR is 7,200.

If I loaded the trailer to the max 8,200 I would be a bit overweight. I'll have to travel a little light.

If I am understanding this right... the trailer loaded up to say 8,000 would mean about 800 on the tongue reducing the payload to 720. So four adults at about 150 lbs each would leave me just barely over 100 lbs for any other cargo in the truck. Does that seem about right? I can make that work fine since the cargo will be the stuff inside the trailer and the truck won't need to carry items... just people and towing the trailer.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #19

Hi Gary,

I have been researching this unit for quite some time...I have attached all the info that I have collected. My unloaded weight also states with 2 full propane tanks and when looking at several differnt units the weights changed based on their individual options. It is a stretch for a 1/2 ton...I may have to take off the tonneau cover and tailgate to have enough payload. I figure that even if I am 100 Lbs over my GVWR of 6800# the GAWR for the Ram is 7800# which should be good if I distribute the weight on the axels correctly. I have purchased a Serline tonque scale which will allow me to accurately dial in the tongue weight to 10% which is the recommended minimum...I know Bob has indicated 13% and having read some of his posts and the knowledge he is sharing, he certainly is a Guru on towing and is without doubt correct, if you have the capacity. The Andersen hitch only weighs 50# and has recieved rave reviews from many seasoned towing vets and quite frankly make a lot of sense to me. I talked with Dave Andersen personally and this unit will certainly set a new standard in making towing safer and easier. By the way I called Jayco and asked them to update their website on the DSRE, unfortunately the dry weight they quote is not even close to actual. Just curious that there initial recommended tongue weight is less than 10%...I wonder if it's because of the wider stance axles, Hope the info helps.

Ron

30DSRE specifications
Dimensions
Wheel base: 262 - 1/2"
GVWR: 8200 lbs
Unloaded weight: 6376 lbs
Exterior/Travel length: 33' 11"
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 585 lbs
Gross Axle Wt Rating (GAWF) Front: 4,400 lbs. (Dexter)
Gross Axle Wt Rating (GAWR) Rear: 4,400 lbs. (Dexter)
Exterior box size: 29' 9"
Exterior height: 122" (10’ 2”)
Exterior height with A/C: 131" (10’ 11”)
Interior height: 78" (6’ 6”)
Exterior width: 96" (8”)
Exterior width with slides extended: 149 - 3/4" (12” 6”)
Electric brake size: 10 x 2 - 1/4" on all four wheels (Dexter)
Hitch ball height: 28 - 3/4" (top of the coupler from the ground)
Hitch ball coupler size: 2 - 5/16"
Entrance door width: 30"
Sleeps: 4
Water Capacity - Black: 31 Gallon
Water Capacity - Fresh: 46 Gallon
Water Capacity - Grey: 31 Gallon
Water heater (with bypass) 6 Gallon
Air Conditioner Spec: 13.5BTU
Slide-outs: 2
Rear Bumper Black Water Hose Carrier 1

Standard Features
Standard Exterior Equipment
• 4" crowned truss rafters for a fully walkable roof
• 6" E-coated, structural steel I-beam frame
• Aerodynamic front profile
• 15 ‘ length Carefree patio awning
• Furnace BTU Rating: 25M
• Chil N’ Stor exterior baggage compartment with 1.5 cu. ft. refrigerator
• Dark tinted safety-glass windows
• 2 Electric slide-outs
• 1 Fold-away grab handle
• Front diamond plate
• Heated and enclosed underbelly
• 6 ‘ Integrated A-frame
2 Marine-grade exterior speakers
• Radial tires
• TuffShell vacuum-bonded laminated construction
• Two-toned, Mocha exterior paint package with HD graphics
• Utility lighting system (step, hitch, baggage and dump station)
• Wide-stance Tracker axles
• Wheels/Tires: ST225/75R 15 D

Standard Interior Equipment
• Atwood high-efficiency furnace and water heater
• Ball bearing drawer guides, 50-lb. capacity with full-drawer extension
• Burnished, cherry-stained hardwood cabinetry
• Diamond-floor vinyl flooring
• Elite Kitchen: Ceiling feature with recessed halogen lights (select models), feature cabinetry with glass and beadboard inserts, 12" decorative backsplash, large rounded countertops, 6.3 cu. ft. refrigerator with black metal inserts, oversized 60/40, deep bowl sink
• J-Steel sofa with residential styling
• Large MaxView 60” tinted safety-glass dinette window
• Message center with hidden switches/charging center
• Pleated privacy shades throughout
• Residential-style carpeting
• Wood-grain accent wall paneling

Your Vehicle Options $
• Customer Value Package (Customer Value Package: 13,500 BTU A/C, Spare Tire & Carrier, Microwave, 6 Gal. Gas/Electric Auto Ignition Water Heater, ABS Gas Bottle Cover, Bath Skylight, Outside Shower, Oven and Tub Surround) $2,143.00
• Free Standing Table with 4 Chairs $450.00
• Ledgestone Fireplace w/ 32"TV $1,393.00
• Electric Tongue Jack $179.00
• Aluminum Rims $314.00
• 15’ Power Awning $214.00
• Outside Bumper Mount Grill $214.00
• Roof Ladder $93.00
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #20

Have you added any other weight to the truckafter you purchased it and do you know exactly what the truck weighs?
I would take the truck to a CAT scale and at least establish a base-line weight for the truck and driver. Make sure you know what the GAWR is so that you don't go over that on the rear axel. Not sure I've seen to many adults that weigh in at 150#!

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch