Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2016, 01:25 AM   #1

New 264BHW and Questions

We just purchased our 2016 Jayflight SLX 264BHW and can't wait to do some camping this summer. My wife has talked about doing this for years. Two of our 3 boys are Eagle Scouts, so I was somewhat involved with them camping when I could as they grew up. I wasn't too big on camping in July in Texas, as it's just a TAD hot.

Growing up in the '70's, my best friend from HS, his family had a pop-up first, and then graduated to a 27/28' TT after a couple of years. They would leave the trailer in the CG in south Jersey, and I got to make more than a few trips with them. It's a huge difference from then to now, but it's eerily so similar, at the same time.

One of the good things in my favor is that I drove 18-wheelers for better than 25 years, so I have no hesitation or problem dealing with the vehicle at all. My problem is gonna be trying to teach Momma how to drive with the trailer. I think she MIGHT be able to handle it, as she drove school bus for about 5 years. If Momma was drivin' our van and she would come up to a RR crossing, she would stop and check for the train. She'd get real upset when I'd go ahead and lower the passenger window so she could see better. Of course, the boys would think it was funny as hell....

And now, for some of the questions....

A: We have an electric awning and on the walk-thru our service guy told us how to drop it for rain dump, when needed. My wife asked if you could change the pitch of the awning and he said no. I looked through the info packet and found out we have a Carefree Travel'r electric awning. On looking at the manual, I found our unit has the arms that have the 6 adjustment holes in both arms. Would I be correct in thinking that this is an adjustable pitch awning??

2: It looks like the material is vinyl, what would you suggest to clean the awning? I've read a lot of you use bleach and water solution, does this affect the warranty at all?

C: On the subject of leveling, I've got a little 6" torpedo level that I'd use just inside my front pass-thru floor and see approximately how close I was. Others have said they do that, some use their iPhone, and others use a big level. Today I grabbed my iPhone 6 and checked my RV sitting at the house. On each end of the rear bumper it was 1 degree off, and at the front hitch, right behind the ball socket, it was the same. Is this going to be "close enough" for government work??

4: What kind of luck has people had changing the outside lights, markers and tail/brake lights to LED units?? I'm in the process of changing all my lights on the TV over to LED's, so I want the same on the trailer.... I already found out I can't go with the double high 194's, but I found some alternatives that should work.

5: How gutsy has anyone been in mounting a TV mount over the dining table? What kind of mount?? And what size TV have you mounted up there? I just happened to notice in an accessory catalog a 12V TV, any idea what they cost?? I sure as heck hate to put a screw in that wall, and see the tip come out the other side....

I think I've used up my quota of questions for a single post so I will look forward to the suggestions and answers that will be forthcoming.

Thanks in advance to all opinions...

kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new TT and as far as leveling it useing the bumper or frame is not the best method. Your refrigerator is the most important item to be level( for best operation and long life). To do that you place the level in the freezer on the bottom and do it front to back & side to side.
Buy the package of two stick on levels so when your leveling the TT you stick these on the outside so it's done once and for all. One gets placed on the rear of the TT and the other one is placed on the side near the very front ( so when your cranking it up or down its right near by), mine is just above the side marker light.
I use the Logo's that are 1" tall so this makes it real easy because the marks on the level are are in 1" increments.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
Site Team

CONGRATULATIONS on the JAYCO!!!

...and WELCOME TO JOF!!! The members here are GREAT!!! There is a lot of GREAT information to be found here. I am sure that you will have information and pictures to share with us... so please do!!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcarr59 View Post

And now, for some of the questions....

A: We have an electric awning and on the walk-thru our service guy told us how to drop it for rain dump, when needed. My wife asked if you could change the pitch of the awning and he said no. I looked through the info packet and found out we have a Carefree Travel'r electric awning. On looking at the manual, I found our unit has the arms that have the 6 adjustment holes in both arms. Would I be correct in thinking that this is an adjustable pitch awning??

When you extend the awning just put the adjusting pin on one side at a different position than the other. Ours has a 2 hole difference and it lets the rain roll of nicely.

2: It looks like the material is vinyl, what would you suggest to clean the awning? I've read a lot of you use bleach and water solution, does this affect the warranty at all?

We use Spick and Span and bleach. While it is wet we roll up the awning and let it sit for about 20 minutes and repeat the process again. Roll it up and down a bunch of times for cleaning. By rolling it up the material rubs against each other and does its own scrubbing. Does a great job... beats trying to scrub it by hand.

C: On the subject of leveling, I've got a little 6" torpedo level that I'd use just inside my front pass-thru floor and see approximately how close I was. Others have said they do that, some use their iPhone, and others use a big level. Today I grabbed my iPhone 6 and checked my RV sitting at the house. On each end of the rear bumper it was 1 degree off, and at the front hitch, right behind the ball socket, it was the same. Is this going to be "close enough" for government work??

I use the little mountable bubble levels and for the front/back leveling screwed one on the front and back sides of the TT. If you just use the glue the heat/cold will alter the level. For the curb/street side leveling, I took the same type of bubble level and mounted it behind the tongue jack on the battery metal support. Both work fine.

4: What kind of luck has people had changing the outside lights, markers and tail/brake lights to LED units?? I'm in the process of changing all my lights on the TV over to LED's, so I want the same on the trailer.... I already found out I can't go with the double high 194's, but I found some alternatives that should work.

Unless you have issues, there is no need to change out the running or tail/brake lights at least mine are bright enough.

5: How gutsy has anyone been in mounting a TV mount over the dining table? What kind of mount?? And what size TV have you mounted up there? I just happened to notice in an accessory catalog a 12V TV, any idea what they cost?? I sure as heck hate to put a screw in that wall, and see the tip come out the other side....

Can't help you on this one sorry.

I think I've used up my quota of questions for a single post so I will look forward to the suggestions and answers that will be forthcoming.

Thanks in advance to all opinions...

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote