Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #1

New from Buffalo, NY

My wife and i started camping with our family about 10 years ago, give or take :-)

We started out with a small Jayco popup that fit us and our kids OK, but as they got bigger we sold our camper for a larger Jayco popup (2010 Jayco 1206). Found out that just because you van can tow 3,500 lbs doesn't mean you should (I *think* the camper was around 2,400 lbs and it was tough taking it to the Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky with a fully loaded van, BTW Mammoth Caves were excellent).

Now we're looking to buy a new Jayco Feather 25BH, however our nearest Jayco dealer about 30 minutes from where we live isn't budging very much on the sticker price, so we're strongly considering taking the 7 hour trip out to Indiana to buy one there.

If anyone has experience doing this and has any recommendations on a) where to go, and b) what percent off MSRP we can expect to get there, please (please, please) message me :-)

In exchange for your help, I promise to provide the same help to others down the road who might want feedback on our buying experience :-)

Thank you (moderators) for running this website and allowing me to join!

Thanks,
Buffalonian
Buffalonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF and happy trailer shopping.

I bought from Indiana RV Connection in Middlebury, IN. Smooth transaction with NO surprises. Very happy and wouldn't change a thing.... although the 3,600 mi round trip was a bit long.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #4

Hello Buffalonian and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!

I live in your neck of the woods up in Niagara County.

Are you referring to that big bad Jayco Dealer on Southwestern Blvd? I purchased my Jayflight 27RLS there last spring and did quite well with my deal, however it took 2 days of haggling, mostly getting a good trade-in allowance and my wife playing "bad cop" in order to get the price I wanted. I would try them again, especially now at the end of the month as sales quotas come into play. I would just say to them this is the price you will pay for that unit and see if they will counter offer. You can always tell them that you have a better deal from the Jayco Dealer in Rochester and see if they take the bait.

Good luck and stop back here soon!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the JOF and happy trailer shopping.

I bought from Indiana RV Connection in Middlebury, IN. Smooth transaction with NO surprises. Very happy and wouldn't change a thing.... although the 3,600 mi round trip was a bit long.
Thanks for your feedback :-)

I've seen their name come up before, so they are on my list to check out. If you have the name of the sales person and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it :-)

Can I ask approximately how much off of the MSRP you were able to get? If that's not an appropriate question for this forum, please let me know (I'm still learning about proper etiquette for this forum).

Also, did you close the deal over the phone and then drive there when it was ready to be picked up, or should I expect to have to drive there to sign on the dotted line and possibly have to make a separate trip to pick it up?

Please send me a private message if you don't want to post your response to the whole forum.

Thanks,
Len
Old 04-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Hello Buffalonian and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!

I live in your neck of the woods up in Niagara County.

Are you referring to that big bad Jayco Dealer on Southwestern Blvd? I purchased my Jayflight 27RLS there last spring and did quite well with my deal, however it took 2 days of haggling, mostly getting a good trade-in allowance and my wife playing "bad cop" in order to get the price I wanted. I would try them again, especially now at the end of the month as sales quotas come into play. I would just say to them this is the price you will pay for that unit and see if they will counter offer. You can always tell them that you have a better deal from the Jayco Dealer in Rochester and see if they take the bait.

Good luck and stop back here soon!
Yes, that's the place :-)

It's been an interesting process... they started just below the MSRP and made it clear they did NOT want my trade. They eventually came down a little in price, but not much. Then eventually WANTED my trade and increased the trade-in value by $2,000 but also increased the price of the new camper as if I couldn't figure that out! When I said no to the trade, but wanted to confirm the price on the new camper (w/o the trade), the price stayed at the new higher price!!

They said the increased price was because of their "sale" where they would match a $500 deposit. I asked is the price would come back down after the "sale" but they said 'no'. Interesting sales tactics :-)

I'll let you know how I eventually make out.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome from Newark! Happy hunting.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian View Post
Thanks for your feedback :-)

I've seen their name come up before, so they are on my list to check out. If you have the name of the sales person ...snip...
Can I ask approximately how much off of the MSRP you were able to get? ...snip...
Also, did you close the deal over the phone ...snip...
Please send me a private message if you don't want to post your response to the whole forum.

Thanks,
Len
Len:

To begin, buying our trailer goes back to the last few weeks of 2014 to get in on the 2015 building schedule. After nearly a year and a half, I've forgotten many details and don't believe I'll be much help. Sorry.

I don't recall if the initial contact was phone or email and don't recall the names of the folks I communicated with. Most of the information we exchanged was by email, not verbal, to prevent misunderstandings and have a 'paper trail.' IMO, Indiana RV Connection is a 'lean' organization. I never saw a large contingent of salespeople, unlike some RV sales places I've seen.

As far as I know, JOF does not have restrictions on talking prices etc. However, I don't recall the MSRP or what I paid. I do recall I was OK with what they quoted and it was in the range folks talk about on this site; 25% to 30% off the MSRP.

After the preliminary emails etc., the purchase agreement was sent to me electronically, I signed it, and I FAXed it back. They ordered the unit and called me when it was built and when they picked it up. Then we established a date for me to pick it up.

This is probably less information than you wanted, but I hope it is of some help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #9

Hi Len, small world, I used to live in Tonawanda, now Cleveland. We have an excellent dealer here in Cleveland by the name of Jim's trailer sales in Grafton (Jtsrv.com). He carries Jayco and Coachmen. You can email them or call them, ask for Jimmy (owner) and tell him Lance sent you. Hopefully he can help and it's a bit closer than IN.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Welcome to JOF! Enjoy the camper when the deal is done. Personally shopping is fun but buying is a chore for me. I hate the games salesman play.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum. The good folks here have lots of helpful information to share. It's the Wikipedia of Jayco.

You can get an online quote from RV Direct very quickly, usually in less than one hour. One of their locations is in Buffalo. Although we spoke with them when we were shopping, we elected to buy from our local dealer here in Raleigh.

Good luck.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
This is probably less information than you wanted, but I hope it is of some help.
Every little bit helps :-)

Thank you for sharing!

-Len
Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
We have an excellent dealer here in Cleveland by the name of Jim's trailer sales in Grafton (Jtsrv.com). He carries Jayco and Coachmen. You can email them or call them, ask for Jimmy (owner) and tell him Lance sent you. Hopefully he can help and it's a bit closer than IN.
Thanks, I appreciate the lead :-) I'll be sure to give him a call.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #14

Have you considered buying in Canada? The exchange rate is in your favour...not sure what you would need to do to import it back into the States though.

Check out Sicard RV in Smithville, ON which is where we bought ours...a pleasant experience and I feel I got a fair price including trade value.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
Have you considered buying in Canada? The exchange rate is in your favour...not sure what you would need to do to import it back into the States though.

Check out Sicard RV in Smithville, ON which is where we bought ours...a pleasant experience and I feel I got a fair price including trade value.
I have! :-)

I spoke to Sicard a while ago and they are still on my list. Their price wasn't rock bottom, but a) I'm not looking for the BEST price but one that is competitive, and b) I really didn't start any serious negotiations with them yet (but I may within the next week).

The prices they had online, taking the exchange rate into account, were not bad (but I'd have to have them come down some and I'm guessing they will once I start a serious conversation with them). I spoke to someone there (not sure who) and if anyone in New York near the boarder is interested, here's what they said about buying from them if you're from the US (to the best of my recollection): Once you pay for the RV and do the walk-though (at their place in Canada) and see how to work everything, they transport the RV over the boarder so you don't have to deal with the headache of getting it across the boarder yourself. One of the places they routinely drop off at is near the Galleria Mall. You pay New York State sales tax, no Canadian taxes, and it's registered in New York from the get-go. Of course, they charge you to deliver it (which is understandable), so you have to take that into consideration.

Thanks for mentioning them. Even though I already thought about buying in Canada, maybe others haven't and hopefully you're mention of it and the info I added will help someone else out :-)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
Welcome to the forum. The good folks here have lots of helpful information to share. It's the Wikipedia of Jayco.

You can get an online quote from RV Direct very quickly, usually in less than one hour. One of their locations is in Buffalo. Although we spoke with them when we were shopping, we elected to buy from our local dealer here in Raleigh.

Good luck.
I had seen the rvdirect website before, but never asked for a quote. Your post reminded me of them so I gave them a try... I was fast, but the quote was roughly the same as the local Buffalo RV One dealership we have around here. It's possible that they may have come down if I called them, but their price was so much more than two other quotes I had that I didn't want to spend the time (or waste theirs).

Thank you for the lead though, I really appreciate it! And I would recommend others to give rvdirect a try... you never know, they might have more luck and if nothing else, it gives them a good starting point for negotiations with their local dealer, etc.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #17

I believe RVDirect and RV One are the same company.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #18

New from Buffalo, NY

Welcome to the forum and I agree wth norty. Shopping is fun but buying is not.

We have a camper on order now and got prices from more dealers than I can remember. We got the best price from RV One and will be picking it up in Albany NY at one of their dealers.

I requested a quote from RV Connection in Indiana. They were only $500 more than RV One. I was going to pay more and buy from RV Connection so that I could pick up my camper and not have to wait for it to be delivered as we hope to have it before our next trip. The deal breaker was they told me a custom order to delete some items was not possible. RV One said the deletes were fine so I went with them.

And just to add my experience was with ordering a camper and not shopping what was on the lot (as none had the options I wanted).
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
We have a camper on order now and got prices from more dealers than I can remember. We got the best price from RV One and will be picking it up in Albany NY at one of their dealers.
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if RV One prices are highly dependent on the model you're looking for... they did have a really great price on the Jay Flight 26BH, but wouldn't move much on the Jay Feather 25BH (neither their online quote or their local dealership). They did say they sold a lot of the Jay Flight 26BH and that's why they were able to get such a great price on it.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #20

I got my NorthPoint from Sicards as they are 2 minutes away from me.
If it wasn't for the trees I could see them from my window.

I just layed my price down (after US online dealer shopping, and ready to buy in Ohio) and told them I wanted to stay local, but it was all about $$. My kids have to go to university.
I felt I got a good deal, and since they agreed within minutes they probably would have gone lower.
I had a trade in, so that helped.

They have gone above and beyond on warranty repairs and are easy to deal with.
But the service department is always backed up and sometimes they can take some time to get things done. They do try to do their best. They are going 7 days a week.
Parts department is notoriously over priced though.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
25bh